DVDVR Message Board

Games of Thrones Unsullied thread

elizium

Gendry, not the Mountain, is the dude the religious fanatics in Kings Landing are referring to. Imagine that...Here comes the big reveal for what those guys have been up to, and it's fucking Gendry.

Then on the after show, the showrunners proceed to pat themselves on the back on how killer of an idea that was.

The week after, GRRM responds with the same fucking response he's given every other controversial move on this show.

Gendry, not the Mountain, is the dude the religious fanatics in Kings Landing are referring to. Imagine that...Here comes the big reveal for what those guys have been up to, and it's fucking Gendry.

Then on the after show, the showrunners proceed to pat themselves on the back on how killer of an idea that was.

The week after, GRRM responds with the same fucking response he's given every other controversial move on this show.

If the dude the religious fanatics are refferring to is The Hound then most of this board will be team High Sparrow. Hell even if he is Gendry's or whoever's bodyguard then team Sparrow will run wild next week.

If The Hound makes a comeback I will forgive every shitty thing this show has done including Stannis killing his own daughter because a few tents got burnt.

They didn't actually show him die, right? RIGHT?!

Arya left him to die but until we see otherwise a ? is after his name because we don't know if he is or isn't. Arya however no longer has him on her list before she sleeps at night.

I thought they were talking about the progress they were making or whatever a couple episodes back and Cersei wasn't involved in that. Or maybe she was. I don't fucking know. All the murdering and raping of kids has clouded my memories.

So here's a spoiler for the book readers

Shireen's death came from Martin

I don't know if that makes it any better but there ya go.

That is nice to know. Again I sort of always expected a bad ending there as this really is the type of story to do things to such a character.

I should have just put up the video but here you go.  Book readers beware.

The issue is that there is no way it could have happened like it happened on the show.  The problem is that they have to condense a lot of the nuance out of the show and things like this don't really feel right.  Stannis is someone who was under siege during Robert's Rebellion and was eating rats, boots, and book bindings.  He isn't the type of person who is going to burn his daughter to death because of a couple fires in his camp.  The issue is that they don't have time to really show the events that would lead to the kind of desperation it would take to lead someone as hard and unrelenting as Stannis to make that decision.  It also doesn't help that the snow storm described in the books is way worse than the flurries they have shown on the show.  Based on what we've been shown, it really doesn't make any sense to book readers for Stannis to kill Shireen, because we've seen worse things happen to Stannis and him not coming close to making that decision. 

• Like 2

I know a lot of people hate A Feast for Crows and A Dance With Dragons, but  trimming and merging two big ass books into one season was awful mistake. This season just feels super rushed, few things have the expected gravitas and weight that they should have, except for The Wall and White Walkers stuff.

• Like 1

The issue is that there is no way it could have happened like it happened on the show.  The problem is that they have to condense a lot of the nuance out of the show and things like this don't really feel right.  Stannis is someone who was under siege during Robert's Rebellion and was eating rats, boots, and book bindings.  He isn't the type of person who is going to burn his daughter to death because of a couple fires in his camp.  The issue is that they don't have time to really show the events that would lead to the kind of desperation it would take to lead someone as hard and unrelenting as Stannis to make that decision.  It also doesn't help that the snow storm described in the books is way worse than the flurries they have shown on the show.  Based on what we've been shown, it really doesn't make any sense to book readers for Stannis to kill Shireen, because we've seen worse things happen to Stannis and him not coming close to making that decision. 

I wouldn't mind if you expanded on what exactly is going on with Stannis right now in the book and how he might reach the point where he does reach that kind of desperate/cold hearted decision. It's not even spoilers at this point.  I heard he's not even at the wall but Shireen is. What's going on and how could Martin reach that point with this character?

You can't, honestly.  The physical locations of the characters and who's where doing what, at least at this time, can't explain how Burning Shireen alive can happen.  There are still spoilers to be had, but I can assure you, there's still a ton of mental gymnastics to get from where we left off to where Shireen would get burned to the Red God.

I wouldn't mind if you expanded on what exactly is going on with Stannis right now in the book and how he might reach the point where he does reach that kind of desperate/cold hearted decision. It's not even spoilers at this point.  I heard he's not even at the wall but Shireen is. What's going on and how could Martin reach that point with this character?

He is in a horrible blizzard, his men are freezing to death, his horses are mostly dead, he only has 2 ravens left and they have no food.  He's had to execute four people for cannibalism, but he hasn't even thought about burning Shireen.  He seems to be the only person who is not worried about the cold and the starvation.  Even if he wanted to burn Shireen she is at the wall with her mother. 

The part that really makes no sense to me is that that Shireen is Stannis' only child, and it is political suicide to sacrifice your heir.  What the fuck happens if Stannis dies?  With Shireen dead there is not a trueborn person in the entire world who is in line to hold the crown if he was to die.  The logical successors would be Tommen and Myrcella, who happen to be the last two people he would want taking over for him. 

Fuck political suicide. That doesn't matter at all to Show Stannis. Show Stannis is thinking of bigger things than that. He's thinking of the war of light vs darkness. He basically has one nuke in his arsenal. And he's going to use it for THIS. Not when facing White Walkers later as was foreseen or in taking King's Landing. I get that if he fails here, he fails, but it's pretty much time to find another way. I bet Bolton would make a deal, for instance. Is that a shitty compromise with a guy you obviously can't trust? Sure, but it's better than using your ONE NUKE for something inconsequential. 

Grantland's Maester column has  a great (non-spoiler-y) deconstruction of how stupid the sacrifice was.  I can't say I was offended so much as I just rolled my eyes and thought the whole thing was lame.

It would be hilarious if Martin was just slowing the books down because he sincerely didn't know how he wanted it to end, collected millions of dollars from HBO under the premise that he was telling them everything, and then after the show's run turned in a final book that was completely different from television.

• Like 1