DVDVR Message Board

Olympics Omnibus thread

odessasteps

36 minutes ago, supremebve said:

Yeah, I checked on my phone directly after thinking, "I don't think I should Google this on my work computer."

It's 14 in Germany, in many ways the Alabama of Europe.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Robert s said:

Apparently there was a much worse decision yesterday in the heavyweight gold medal bout between a Russian and a Kazakh.

It was bad, the Russian in his post-fight presser basically (paraphrasing) apologized for winning on judge's decision.

Same old boxing.

37 minutes ago, Robert s said:

Funny that they went away from the old point system to the ten point to get rid of these obviously bought decisions (at least that was the official reasoning).

I've never understood how the 10-point must system became the gold standard for combat sports.  It is way too limited for MMA, and unless there is a knockdown it is too easy for corrupt judges to just give away rounds.  I just thought about this, but what if they changed it so that there are only 10 points to be given out for both fighters?  So a completely even round would be 5-5.  A closely contested round won by one fighter would be 6-4.  A clearly won round by one fighter would be 7-3. A dominant round would be 8-2.  So unless you are just giving 5-5s over and over again, the gap between a winning fighter and a losing fighter would continue to grow based on won rounds.  So it would be much more obvious if a judge is just giving away rounds to put a guy over.  Doesn't that make more sense?  

That U.S. and Brazil beach volleyball match was awesome. It was like midnight local time, insane crowd and holy shit were the Brazil women playing some awesome defense. I've never seen anything like that in beach volleyball before. 

I saw Simone and Aly got the gold and silver in the floor routines. I mean it's almost unfair how great both of them are on floor.  Also,  Aly said she hasn't ruled out 2020.  She'd be 26.  I don't know about that but I'd like to see it.  Simone will be 23 then,  I think she'll be back.