DVDVR Message Board

Olympics Omnibus thread

odessasteps

Just now, El Dragon said:

Nobody else seemed to to do better then the 15.5 range. Simone put up a 15.9 and a 16. She won by, what, .7 over 2nd place in just that one event herself?

I wish I knew more about gymnastics so I could fully understand exactly how much better she is than everyone else.  From the untrained eye, she looks like she comes from a different planet where they do gymnastics instead of walking like we do here on earth.  I also want Laurie Hernandez to go to every sporting event in the world just so they can show her delightfully cheering.

1 hour ago, El Dragon said:

Ignore this quote box the board is doing dumb things again

Simone probably isn't as good at vault as Maroney was, McKayla did 16.233 in London during the team all-around (before blowing a vault in the individual event and getting silver) 

Biles, afaik, has never scored that high, but she's replaced Maroney as best in the world. She's probably the best ever on floor, and she's really good on beam. It's insane. Nobody should be this good at this many apparatuses.

Oh yeah, .111 definitely wasn't my first time.  I think found a way to beat the system, but I won't use the method now. One time I was disqualified for a false start because the time wasn't "humanly possible" or something.  I'm on the juice.

Hell of a day for Team GB! Our most successful day at a non home games with 5 gold and 3 silver. First time we've had 2 gold in Gymnastics I believe and Andy fucking Murray with a 4 hour Tennis final! I watched the first hour, so damn close. Unfortunately I had work this morning so I couldn't follow it to the end.

10 more medals needed for their target of 48. No ones ever got more medals at the following Olympics after hosting it but Team GB currently have 1 more medal on day 9 than they did in London. Still, that's 28 more medals they've gotta find somewhere this week to do that.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Basara said:

Hell of a day for Team GB! Our most successful day at a non home games with 5 gold and 3 silver. First time we've had 2 gold in Gymnastics I believe and Andy fucking Murray with a 4 hour Tennis final! I watched the first hour, so damn close. Unfortunately I had work this morning so I couldn't follow it to the end.

10 more medals needed for their target of 48. No ones ever got more medals at the following Olympics after hosting it but Team GB currently have 1 more medal on day 9 than they did in London. Still, that's 28 more medals they've gotta find somewhere this week to do that.

Yep! Andy Murray retains his Olympic title, he carried the flag in the opening ceremony. Max Whitlock is the first Olympic champion from the UK winning two golds. Glad he beat Louis Smith, sore loser. Didn't like Louis before this, more now. Jason Kenny wins gold in the cycling so he's tied with Sir Steve Redgrave and Sir. Bradley Wiggins on the amount of golds. Justin Rose gets gold golf for Team GB as well.

Bolt wins the 100m three Olympic games running. By chance I woke up in time to see this.

23 minutes ago, The Natural said:

Bolt wins the 100m three Olympic games running. By chance I woke up in time to see this.

I missed the 100m finals. I had last week off work so I've been able to watch a bit of the late night stuff but it's back to work this morning so no more staying up late.

The Cycling and Rowing have all been at decent times so I've followed pretty much all of that. Gymnastics too. Unfortunately I'll be missing most of the big athletic events though.

• Like 1

On 13/08/2016 at 10:43 PM, Pete said:

Re field hockey, what surface are they playing on? Looks like glorified concrete. 

From a while back (weekends=childcare) 

Theres two types available for hockey. Sand based astroturf and water based. Sand makes for a slower pitch, and at international level, you dont need it. Water based makes the game slicker and faster, but makes for a difficult fourth quarter as the players socks (typically two pairs) are soaked making for heavy legs.

• Like 1

Normally I am pretty pro Team USA but thank God that Bolt won.. not that I expected him to lose.

Now that he's done to the sprints what Phelps did to the pool, we have new and interesting discussion about what exactly constitutes the Best Olympian EVAR on NPR this morning~!

7 hours ago, _MJ_ said:

Oh yeah, .111 definitely wasn't my first time.  I think found a way to beat the system, but I won't use the method now. One time I was disqualified for a false start because the time wasn't "humanly possible" or something.  I'm on the juice.

Yeah - I got .072 and that was DQ for being "not humanly possible" which I am assuming means "you just guessed right"

My legit first try was a .198 which was dubbed "Bolt just edged you out

14 hours ago, Death From Above said:

Goddamn this is some electric track.

Andre DeGrasse is FAST. I am totally fine with losing to Bolt in the final, he's a complete freak of nature and the best sprinter ever. I'd really rather beat the drug cheat though.

That South African just ran the 400 meters in 43 seconds... that's an average of 10.75 for each hundred meters. That's absolutely otherworldly.

That equates to a 4.3 40, if I did my math right. Cowboys should be calling soon. . . LOL

4 hours ago, Red is Dead said:

From a while back (weekends=childcare) 

Theres two types available for hockey. Sand based astroturf and water based. Sand makes for a slower pitch, and at international level, you dont need it. Water based makes the game slicker and faster, but makes for a difficult fourth quarter as the players socks (typically two pairs) are soaked making for heavy legs.

I was wondering why water was splashing up whenever one of the players struck the ground hard. Makes a lot more sense now. :)

10 minutes ago, Kuetsar said:

That equates to a 4.3 40, if I did my math right. Cowboys should be calling soon. . . LOL

It's funny - because I immediately saw at least one writer on Twitter going WHY HASN'T AN NFL TEAM SIGNED BOLT!!! NO ONE COULD CATCH HIM!!!!

Because ya know - signing pure sprinters has worked out so well in the past...

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

It's funny - because I immediately saw at least one writer on Twitter going WHY HASN'T AN NFL TEAM SIGNED BOLT!!! NO ONE COULD CATCH HIM!!!!

Because ya know - signing pure sprinters has worked out so well in the past...

Well there was Bob Hayes and WIllie Gault. . . . and Marquis Goodwin is semicompetant, but that's it. . . .