DVDVR Message Board

Olympics Omnibus thread

odessasteps

16 minutes ago, Death From Above said:

I wonder how many of the grumps in the media that had a problem with Phelps celebrating the other day and needed to tell us all about it will acknowledge that when he got beat tonight by that kid from Singapore he made a point of going over to shake his hand no more than 5 seconds after the race was over.

For the most part, it seems the media has said Phelps is more human now, even after the stuff the other day. 

I honestly feel bad for saying this, but not sure what the reactions everywhere in the world would be if Ledecky was Russian. 

Olympics are fun, unfortunately I couldn't catch much of it. I was really happy when there was some Judo shown on TV, it's such a great sport. Rugby should definetly stay. It's entertaining and a joy to watch.

42 minutes ago, ReiseReise said:

I honestly feel bad for saying this, but not sure what the reactions everywhere in the world would be if Ledecky was Russian.

Or to put it differently: will the same people that booed Yefimova also boo Gatlin?

The world record in the 10.000 m yesterday is also one in the category hard-to-believe. If you are 15 s faster than a world record that held for 23 s years without contention that was set by someone who probably took every illegal substance there was you are (almost?) too good to be true.

Was that the women's 10,000 m yesterday? That was incredible watching the pace they set and I'm pretty sure the top 3 broke the olympic record and 4th place was like a second shy of it. Also the woman who set the early pace spit, like, a lot, didn't she? In my mind it was a long distance version of Mario Kart and she was dropping oil slicks at the runners behind her. But seriously, I thought you'd be savouring every last drop of saliva. Though I can't relate at all and I'm 100% sure I would have been lapped in the first km. 

3 hours ago, Setsuna said:

Was that the women's 10,000 m yesterday? That was incredible watching the pace they set and I'm pretty sure the top 3 broke the olympic record and 4th place was like a second shy of it (...)

4 of the 5 fastest runs of all time happend in that run and all 4 were faster than the Olympic record.

17 hours ago, AxB said:

Things I don't understand about America: The whole 'Black people can't swim' concept. Never got that. The Black lads I went to school with could swim. The buoyancy of the human body is clearly not a function of it's skin tone in any way... Is it just an assumption that all white Americans are either vaguely middle class and therefore got swimming lessons in primary school, or if they're working class they're from a rural background and had access to lakes and rivers growing up, whilst black Americans are assumed to be both urban and working class and therefore had no opportunity to learn to swim during childhood?

It's just, from my perspective, it's an odd thing to become a National truism over there. What with not being true and all.

Women's Heptathlon getting much air in the States? BBC's all over it.

One of the most segregated places in the entire country is the pool.  What pool?  Pick one, odds are you will either see a bunch of black people or zero black people.  Guess which of those pools has someone on the staff to teach kids how to swim?  Guess which one doesn't?  If you want to read a bunch of horrifying stuff, google swimming pool segregation.  You will read some crazy stories and maybe even see a white man pouring acid on some black children in a pool.  Remember that video that came out last year with the police tackling a basically assaulting a bunch of black kids?  A bunch of black kids were invited to a pool party, and the police were called to force them to leave.  They were treated like criminals because they were invited to a pool party.  Can you imagine getting the police called on you for going to your friend's birthday party?  Pablo Torre was on Bomani Jones' radio show the other day and sited a study that was done on diversity in Ivy League athletics, and pretty much every sport was diverse until you added water.  Basically every single sport had minority representation unless it involved a pool or hockey.  That isn't an accident.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, ReiseReise said:

Someone at the gym this morning said she was sure Ledecky was clean because "she's an American."  Yeah, that seems to be some dubious logic.

Same person said the reason the US dominates in swimming is it's recruitment program.  Um, what?  Swimming as a professional/Olympic sport barely has a profile in the US.  By recruitment, I assume she meant the US is really good at capturing sea monsters and locking them in a basement until a couple of the offspring can pass for human from a distance.

(Actually, "part sea monster" is as good an explanation for Ledecky and Phelps as any.)

17 hours ago, dogwelder said:

68.9 percent of African American children had “low or no swim ability,” according to a 2010 study commissioned by USA Swimming and conducted by the University of Memphis.

I was technically taught but never took to it. I always got too damn nervous about breathing and seeing whenever my head entered the water.

2 minutes ago, Eivion said:

I was technically taught but never took to it. I always got too damn nervous about breathing and seeing whenever my head entered the water.

I was also taught, but I'm in no way shape or form a good swimmer.  I do have a cousin who swam competitively in college, so me being a poor swimmer has much more to do with me than my blackness.  My biggest issue is that I have no idea how to tread water. 

The reason there have been few black hockey players historically is because the game was primarily played in Canada, Russia, Eastern Europe and Scandinavia. All of these places are almost totally white. In modern times you are seeing that change as the sport has expanded in the US with youth programs in inner cities and with Canada now having a greater black population (ex: PK Subban, Evander Kane, Wayne Simmonds, Seth Jones).

3 minutes ago, sabremike said:

The reason there have been few black hockey players historically is because the game was primarily played in Canada, Russia, Eastern Europe and Scandinavia. All of these places are almost totally white. In modern times you are seeing that change as the sport has expanded in the US with youth programs in inner cities and with Canada now having a greater black population (ex: PK Subban, Evander Kane, Wayne Simmonds, Seth Jones).

Access is the biggest issue for a lot of sports.  The sports that are offered in public schools seem to have a much more diverse group of people who play.  If you watch track and field at the Olympics you'll see damn near every country represented, because everyone on the planet can afford to run.  Swimming on the other hand requires pretty much unlimited access to a pool, which kind of limits the participants.  The thing that isn't really getting any press, but is kind of revolutionary is how diverse the gymnastics team has become.  Gymnastics is a sport that is expensive, takes specialized training, and a whole shitload of time, which generally excludes a lot of minorities.  Except somehow we got a really diverse team that also happens to be the best gymnastics team of all time.  It turns out that if you have a country with 300+ million people and give everyone an equal chance, you get a team full of awesome gymnasts who all come from different backgrounds.  I have no idea how this group of girls all made it, but hopefully their success and Simone Manuel's success leads to more inclusion.  There is absolutely no difference between races, that is just shit that people made up, so there should never be sports where everyone isn't represented. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Vader does my taxes! said:

Someone at the gym this morning said she was sure Ledecky was clean because "she's an American."  Yeah, that seems to be some dubious logic.

Same person said the reason the US dominates in swimming is it's recruitment program.  Um, what?  Swimming as a professional/Olympic sport barely has a profile in the US.  By recruitment, I assume she meant the US is really good at capturing sea monsters and locking them in a basement until a couple of the offspring can pass for human from a distance.

(Actually, "part sea monster" is as good an explanation for Ledecky and Phelps as any.)

I wonder if that person knows who Justin Gatlin is. 

I remember Dong Dong from when i went to see the trampolining in London. Since we didn't have a GB guy in it last time the crowd sort of adopted him as our own for his awesome name. 

Hopefully Team GB can repeat 2012s Super Saturday tonight. Sucks that with the time zone difference all the big athletic events are at stupid o'clock in the morning over here. But I've been watching the Cycling every night since it started, the rowing and anything else I've had time for during the day. BBC are doing a great job with coverage our side of the pond. I don't think there's been a single event, no matter how small or random, that hasn't been up live on their website if it wasn't on one of the many TV stations showing it. At least everything I've tried to watch so far has been available.

On August 9, 2016 at 11:19 PM, NickMD said:

And he grew up in Towson f'n Maryland, 20 minutes from me.  Considering there's Phelps and AFAIK four other Marylanders (Ledecky is from Bethesda) killing it in the Olympics, I'm feeling a TON of Maryland pride right now.  Take that out of the equation and it's still an outstanding night for Team USA.

Here is my problem. He went to Towson High. I went to Dulaney. I was bred to hate Towson High. We went to our schools at the same time. He could have been at the football games cheering them on. I can't root for him. It feels gross 

• Like 1