DVDVR Message Board

Raw is Recaps 2-29-16

MGFanJay

I did enjoy HHH explaining to us slowly over and over the basic premise of wrestling booking over the last 20 years.

Maybe it's not that we don't understand the storyline that's the problem. Maybe it's that it's been the same storyline FOR THE LAST 20 YEARS!

• Like 3

Ambrose/HHH at the March 12th show in Toronto for the title. Ambrose wins. Lesnar/Ambrose (No DQ) is now your main event. Nobody cares about HHH/Reigns, still, so everyone wins and you don't close out 'Mania with your "top babyface" being booed to all hell (or your top heel being cheered like crazy).

WRONG.

Ambrose wins in Toronto.  You either do a triple-threat with Ambrose/Lesnar/Reigns (not ideal) or have Reigns maintain his #1 contendership for a Reigns/Ambrose match where Reigns turns heel.  HHH has wondered if Reigns is willing to do whatever it takes to become champion.  His path becomes clear:  take it from Ambrose.

Not sure what you do with Lesnar, though.  Though Lesnar is supposedly upset that they changed his WM partner from Wyatt to Ambrose (shrugs).

• Like 1

Ambrose/HHH at the March 12th show in Toronto for the title. Ambrose wins. Lesnar/Ambrose (No DQ) is now your main event. Nobody cares about HHH/Reigns, still, so everyone wins and you don't close out 'Mania with your "top babyface" being booed to all hell (or your top heel being cheered like crazy).

WRONG.

Ambrose wins in Toronto.  You either do a triple-threat with Ambrose/Lesnar/Reigns (not ideal) or have Reigns maintain his #1 contendership for a Reigns/Ambrose match where Reigns turns heel.  HHH has wondered if Reigns is willing to do whatever it takes to become champion.  His path becomes clear:  take it from Ambrose.

Not sure what you do with Lesnar, though.  Though Lesnar is supposedly upset that they changed his WM partner from Wyatt to Ambrose (shrugs).

why in the world would Brock be bothered by that o.0

They seriously spent this show building Ambrose/HHH. On the road to WrestleMania. Where they aren't wrestling each other.

.................. I got nothing.

And they did a GREAT job at it too.  You know, if it was headlining or even taking place in Dallas. 

By the way, I might be one of the bigger HHH supporters here and even I don't believe he would go against Roman Reigns in a midcard nothing match.  I don't see that.  Either it stays as is or it's Hunter/Dean.

WRONG.

why in the world would Brock be bothered by that o.0

I can only assume they didn't fully run it by him.  Could be a total lie, though.  Who knows.

They seriously spent this show building Ambrose/HHH. On the road to WrestleMania. Where they aren't wrestling each other.

It's bizarre. Ambrose has clearly been the lead babyface for weeks now. I honestly can't remember a Wrestlemania build like this before, other than maybe the Flair/Savage, Hogan/Sid year. But even then that's an assumption as I have no vivid memories of the TV build to that event.

This is the first time in years I've watched Raw and I see Stephanie McMahon cutting a promo on another McMahon, she and her husband rule the WWE, Vince McMahon cutting a promo on one of his kids, HHH the World Heavyweight Champion standing tall at the end of the show after laying out the babyface. 2 things I thought of, the Authority non stop from 2013-2016 is the same age as the original nWo angle non stop from 1996-1999 and with all the McMahons and HHH dominating the show, I could watch a year 2000 episode of Raw and see the same thing when it was still getting repetitive.

It's bizarre. Ambrose has clearly been the lead babyface for weeks now. I honestly can't remember a Wrestlemania build like this before, other than maybe the Flair/Savage, Hogan/Sid year. But even then that's an assumption as I have no vivid memories of the TV build to that event.

The build to WM8 was better than this. Flair had the doctored pictures of he and Elizabeth; claiming that Elizabeth was his before she was with Savage, in order to fuck with Savage's mind, so his focus wasn't on the title.

You had Sid's jealously of Hogan overwhelming him. It started with Sid dumping Hogan at the Royal Rumble. Then, he abandons Hogan in the SNME tag match against Taker and Flair. He destroyed the Barber Shop, on what ended up being the last Barber Shop. 

I thought lead face Ambrose was solely going to be to add intrigue to Fastlane. Yet here we are.

Is Roman's face in worse shape than reports indicated? I'm struggling to see any other reasons for this.

Had 4 epileptic bouts during the HHH/Dean table beatdown. They need to flash an old Sega Genesis seizure warning when Kevin Dunn goes batshit crazy with the cameras like that.

Sasha/Becky was pretty damn good before that ending. What agent would approve that?

Wacky, overexuberant League of Nations is kinda funny.

I thought leaf gave Ambrose was solely going to be to add intrigue to Fastlane. Yet here we are.

Is Roman's face in worse shape than reports indicated? I'm struggling to see any other reasons for this.

Reigns' nose is pretty jacked up.  Swollen fracture, deviated septum, dislocation of some other bones.  Surgery like that requires 4-6 weeks of rest from heavy activity.  He should be ready for WM in theory, but maybe they're covering with a contingency plan, which could turn into a Reigns heel turn?  It's possible.

I know there are going to be some people pushing for Ambrose in the WMania title match after this one. However, I think if they are really taking the character seriously now, I think they should actually keep him away from the world title picture for a bit. Screwing over the favorite out of title shots works for a bit with the crowd. He has a good thing going with Brock and building him toward his first big stage title shot at say Summerslam is a decent long term idea instead of shoehorning him into the WMania title mess now. Unless, of course, Reigns' injury is going to keep him out of it.

More importantly, after all the corny, Steve Austin-lite antics they made Ambrose emulate, I hope they are thinking of doing a similar "I lost the match but I didn't give up" Austin/Bret-esque ending to the Brock/Ambrose match. Pretty obvious idea, but execution is everything with it.

• Like 1

HHH/Ambrose should be a super fun title match and I'm glad HHH will get at least one defense in before Mania. Good build to it tonight for sure. Poor Dolph getting beat in a minute. Short matches tonight but Sasha/Becky was good til that finish. Wondering if Y2AJ sticks together to win the tag titles at Mania or not.

Oh, what was the payoff for Rusev's bodyslam challenge?  WHAT HAPPENED?

A couple social media videos, R-Truth thinking it was an armbar challenge and Sheamus picking Rusev up then saying he was just kidding.

I thought leaf gave Ambrose was solely going to be to add intrigue to Fastlane. Yet here we are.

Reigns' nose is pretty jacked up.  Swollen fracture, deviated septum, dislocation of some other bones.  Surgery like that requires 4-6 weeks of rest from heavy activity.  He should be ready for WM in theory, but maybe they're covering with a contingency plan, which could turn into a Reigns heel turn?  It's possible.

Keeping Regins off tv for a week to sell the injury isn't the worst idea.  If he got beaten up so bad he had to stay out of action, then it would stand to reason he'd be even more pissed and eager to get revenge on HHH.  I  had no idea he was banged up that badly.  If he can't get cleared in time, I wonder what the backup plan is?  A 3 way world title match between HHH, Lesnar, and Ambrose isn't the worst idea in the world.

I really hope we aren't going to get Owens/Big Show at mania.

I thought his feud with Brock Lesnar did a pretty good job of painting Undertaker out to be an aging gunslinger on his last leg, grasping at any pieces of fading glory he can. So it makes total sense that he'd "do the job" for his lifelong employer, who in return for that loyalty is giving him yet another high-profile Wrestlemania match and payday and keeping him "in the game."

I don't know if that's even what they're going for, but it makes enough sense to me on the heels of the Lesnar feud that I don't really need it spelled out for me.

What was the deal with the finish to Sasha/Becky? I mean, I get what they were going for. But it didn't make any sense. At the least, the announcers could've sold something like a whiplash factor, causing Banks to just simply go limp after the sunset flip. Instead it was just both of them playing dead and Chioda calling for a draw.

Honestly, I'm surprised the crowd didn't react more harshly (as harsh as they can for a match/storyline like that), then again, I'm not sure how well the Nashville crowds are in terms of loudness/fandom.

What happened to that New Day/LON feud that was apparently starting up?  Neither faction even interacted with eachother tonight and the supposed face turn that New Day were slightly heading in was gone as they were acting like they always do.  

I was fine with the AJ/Jericho feud as a way to kick off AJ's WWE tenure.  Even if he isn't exactly an upper card player, there are worse people than Jericho one can work their debut program with.  All their matches were solid with the Fastlane match being legit good and AJ won cleanly and looked like someone important in the process.  Instead of doing the sensible thing and moving him into a more higher profile singles program with another wrestler (and it looked like what wuold be an awesome program with Owens was next up based on Owens' tweet afterwards), they're sticking him in a tag team with Jericho?  That's a complete waste of his abilities and it's probably going to end with Jericho turning on him and yet another match between the two at Mania.

• Like 1