DVDVR Message Board

Raw is Recaps 2-29-16

MGFanJay

So the show started off nice with that Triple H promo (I must be in some serious pain to be saying that). He tried his best to be the bad guy and I guess the crowd was pro-Roman in Nashville. Might have been a better town to do the attempted murder in since they were generally booing Triple H.  I loved when Ambrose came down to the ring. He got such a huge reaction. Triple H and him have such a great chemistry. Ambrose had me cracking up and I'm pretty sure he had Triple H cracking up a few times. Watching this whole segment, it's clear this should be the main event for Wrestlemania. I mean hell they had the story with Ambrose being "you can't beat me".

This one impromptu feud did more to get me interested for an Ambrose/Triple H title match than anything they have done for Roman Reigns in the last six months and his quest for the title. I don't know if that's a credit to Triple H and Dean Ambrose and them using the material they were given or what or just a testament to how bad Reigns has truly been booked.

Stephanie might have done the promo of her career and I don't know if it was scripted or if it was her saying fuck it and going off script because she was actually pissed when those Shane chants started. There was some serious fire in her voice talking about how much time she's missing watching her children grow up running the company while he's taken a seven year vacation. She's been there every week for those seven years and now all of a sudden he want's back? I was truly blown away. If it were a Shane vs. Stephanie feud it would probably be some amazing stuff.

But it's not Shane vs. Stephanie. It's Shane vs. Vince and we got some rambling Vince promo that I'm not sure even made sense to him. Undertaker comes down and they must pay him by the second at this point in his career. I was really hoping for a little backstory. You know maybe something as to why Vince chose Taker for this match. Nope...nothing. All we got was Taker scaring the piss out of Vince (which was funny) and then Vince standing around for a couple minutes and having a legit senior moment.

Yeah building this around Shane vs. Vince is no good. They should have retired the Vince character long ago. Yes he's fun on tv, but the guy just can't cut it anymore on live television. The story aspect of this feud is not making any sense at least from his point of view. From Stephanie and Shane there's some sense, but from him it's cloudy as hell.

I got the rest of the show on the DVR. I was too tired to watch the rest at that point.

• Like 1

So Ziggler bullies Miz - tells him he hasn't done anything in 5 years and shouldn't be on the roster and I am supposed to cheer that?

I said this last night but Miz beating Ziggler in a minute certainly raised his March Madness stock with me.

The thing is, they're so locked in to the rhythm of having a special event every three or four Raws, that faced with a six week gap between major shows, they get lost.They know  how to do a month-long build to a match, but faced with the month and a half to build one, they don't know where to go with it. So they set up the main 'Mania matches last week, and then they set up mini-feuds this week, to keep the people in those main matches busy. Although obviously you also have the problem of your main 'Mania draws not actually being on TV every week, so you get a lot of "My friend is going to beat up your friend" promos.

Wyatt busting out "insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result"...maybe not the best thing to remind folks who've been watching WWE for the last three years or so.

And you can tell they turned New Day face because JBL complained about their antics and Byron said, "They're just having FUN, John!"

• Like 3

I find it really interesting that a lot of talk over the last year has been about how WWE can't book their guys properly (and a lot of the time they can't) but not so much about how the guys they are trying to book on top have so many problems to overcome in the first place.

I can't stand Dean Ambrose and I'm amazed he's over at all.  He's pretty terrible in ring and out of it.  He's very unconvincing as the 'lunatic fringe' (ugh that name is the worst) with a style that looks so controlled and half speed with awkward promo ability to match.  He also has the most godawful entrance music, seriously the worst in the company, which is a massive sin to begin with, haha.  I remember a few years back when people were going on about his promos in FCW and matches with Regal but I didn't think much of that back then and he's only gone backwards.

I've been watching some Raws and payperviews from around Wrestlemania 13 and Dean and Roman remind me a lot of early Rock, where Rocky was doing all this embellished stuff in the ring that looked really uncomfortable and hokey.   The commentary was screaming at everyone about how great he was but a lot of the crowd where like 'What is he doing?  God, screw this guy'.  Rocky was allowed to do his own thing eventually and his positives shined through but I just don't think that's going to happen with Dean or Roman until the environment changes drastically. 

So I assume next week Y2AJ lose, Jericho turns on AJ to set up a Mania match. Then New Day move on to LON to finish the "feud" started at Fastlane?

Vince: Thanks for putting over the new guy, Chris.  It's good to see you are comfortable with your role now.

Jericho: Yeah. Hey, you know what would really help get him over...tag. team. champion. at Wrestle. Mania. But I don't know who he's had any interactions with to be his teammate...waitaminute....hey!

Vince: You're a real team player, Chris!

Yeah, I'm in agreement on Sasha/Becky. Good match until the weird finish. And replaying it twice didn't help any lol 

Naomi is on a roll. Hoping these wins mean that she gets a program with whoever is champ after Mania. And I love her bashing her opponent in the head, after they tap in her submission. More of that, please. lol 

Seth Rollins cannot come back fast enough.  I've never seen an main event card anywhere where barely anyone is over.

The only thing Rollins' presence facilitates is a possible Shield triple-threat match down the road.  Honestly, I haven't missed the guy and his taking up a third of the show with whiny promos.

• Like 1

Seth Rollins cannot come back fast enough.  I've never seen an main event card anywhere where barely anyone is over.

The only thing Rollins' presence facilitates is a possible Shield triple-threat match down the road.  Honestly, I haven't missed the guy and his taking up a third of the show with whiny promos.

But at least I hate Seth the wrestler and not Seth the person.  He will get me to watch a match and hope that Ambrose kayfabe cripples him.

I really don't give a shit about HHH or Reigns and I now don't give a shit about Brock since Brock does not give a shit in general.

The Sasha/Becky finish would've been fine if Sasha would've slowly collapsed backwards, instead of doing the Undertaker situp in reverse. That's the only minor quibble I have with Sasha; every once in a while she'll have an awkward looking moment like that.

But at least I hate Seth the wrestler and not Seth the person.  He will get me to watch a match and hope that Ambrose kayfabe cripples him.

Rollins had become insufferable, but not in a chop him in the throat so I can take pleasure in watching him gasp for air way.  Rather, it was a hurry up and kill ME so I don't have to hear YOU again feeling.  But that's just my take, he actually got on my nerves and not in a strict kayfabe way.

I DON'T WANT TO YELL AT YOU JOJO!

So is Big E subtly signalling Kenny Omega in this promo?

Agree that copying a finish from NXT (that they just did) was bad enough but then Sasha bunged it up.  Why couldn't they just do a bit where one throws the other into the timekeeper's area and Charlotte brains the other one with the belt.  Double countout, then Charlotte can play up that they both don't deserve a shot.