DVDVR Message Board

Raw is Recaps 2-29-16

MGFanJay

"Is it because he's a McMahon...or a man?"

I love when Stephanie goes full on Gloria Steinem on everyone.

Not sure if it's part of the storyline or not, but yes, Shane's implication that, because he's a guy and has three sons he deserves more power in WWE than Stephanie and her three daughters is very Mad Menish. 

WWE TV offers up important social, political and gender talking points. Who knew? 

Meltzer is saying that Miz got the win (and will probably get a couple others) due to him and Ziggler both being in a "multi-man match at Mania" and Miz needs to be built back up (Ziggler has the wins over Owens)

He thought it would be for the IC title but let's honest - they need to do SOMETHING with the US title again so who knows

Steph has made a pretty consistent habit of accusing any objectors of not being comfortable with a female boss.

Her point about Shane and his misogynist arrogance is still very valid, though.

Stephanie vs. The Patriarchy. In 2016. 

Book it.

• Like 1

Stephanie is right about the male/female discrepancy.  What makes Shane's kids better than hers to be considered 5th generation carny promoters?  Because they're boys and carry the McMahon name directly?  In 2016, that doesn't wash.  Especially when Stephanie, whether anyone likes it or not, has actually been involved with the company while Shane decided to leave.  His reasons may have been legitimate, but he still left.

• Like 1

To be fair - traditional lines of succession always followed the male preference (though laws have been passed to change this)

So it isn't outrageous for Shane to imply that his first born son would be in line over Steph's first born daughter. (and when explaining this to my wife last week she immediately went "of course - that is the way it should be portrayed")

HOWEVER - the execution was clearly clunky and it definitely came out as BOYZ RULE! GIRLZ DROOL!

All jokes aside, I've heard Meltzer say enough times that Wall Street believes Vince McMahon is the only one who truly knows how to run a successful wrestling company that if WWE said "a woman isn't fit to run this 'rasslin show" it probably wouldn't be that far off from the reality of what a lot of people believe. I'm sure there are many investors who would go "well, if Vince is gone then it's gotta be his son Shane."

To be fair - traditional lines of succession always followed the male preference (though laws have been passed to change this)

So it isn't outrageous for Shane to imply that his first born son would be in line over Steph's first born daughter. (and when explaining this to my wife last week she immediately went "of course - that is the way it should be portrayed")

HOWEVER - the execution was clearly clunky and it definitely came out as BOYZ RULE! GIRLZ DROOL!

Plus, the problem that Shane is the face and Steph is the heel, so Shane got the crowd to cheer for misogyny.

Not even denying that point.  We've got subtle sexism vs. straw feminism in this storyline and we're supposed to support someone or other.

Yeah, I have no idea which is Scylla and which is Charybdis.

In 2016, though? This ain't the 1800s. Legalities have changed. Attitudes have changed. 

Yeah, Shane trying to claim him and his sons deserve more preference is, eh, more than a bit out of touch. 

Especially when we factor in he's meant to be the good guy. 

• Like 1

Honestly, it feels like WWE have accidentally stumbled across a SOCIALLY IMPORTANT~! storyline here.

But they're fools, so will just squander it. And Stephanie will just end up an evil shrew even though many of her points are spot on. 

• Like 1

In 2016, though? This ain't the 1800s. Legalities have changed. Attitudes have changed. 

Absolutely on the former

Not so much on the later