DVDVR Message Board

Raw is Recaps 2-29-16

MGFanJay

So they are not doing the Kevin Owens vs AJ Styles for the IC Title? Instead we are getting Kevin Owens vs the Big Show and fucking AJ Styles vs Chris Jericho IV or Y2AJ vs The New Day?

I hate this fucking company's hatred of simple booking logic on the main roster. God I can't wait for NXT Takeover Dallas.

Yeah, lost in the shittiness of HHH/Roman and Shane/Taker is how terrible the undercard for Mania is shaping up as well. AJ/Jericho 4 has zero value. I wasn't crazy about the idea of a 2/1 split between them, but it served its purpose well enough. These two continuing to be around each other after Fast Lane is ridiculous. AJ gains nothing by going over Jericho again and the match structure doesn't change a lick even if Jericho is a *real heel* this time. This program continuing only benefits Jericho, and I'm not sure why they'd be making his credibility a top priority these days.

Then there's Owens/Show, which could conceivably be fun as a 2-minute squash where Owens goes all high-flyer because he's the little guy for once and of course would be a massive face in this situation. Unfortunately, the more realistic scenario of a standard 5-7 minute match with no adjustment to the face/heel role reversal that Stevie Wonder can see coming is thoroughly unappealing.

You also can't forget that ND/LON with ND delivering vintage WWE scripted babyface comedy is coming down the pipeline too.

I mean using just those guys, you could run AJ/Owens which would be a high-energy match with the right face/heel dynamic, re-unite JeriShow as faces to put over ND in a perfectly acceptable 5-minute filler match, and try to kick the tires on the LON/Wyatts (since they're doing god knows what) feud that looked promising a couple months back. But nah, let's mix and match these pieces into the least interesting combinations instead.

I guess the thing is that ultimately Wrestlemania is kinda Old School RAW now - whilst I appreciate there are still some PPV sales, it's ultimately not what it was. It's a gimmick show.

True. My expectations are so low at this point that if they wheel out Howard Finkel and give us a Slick/Akeem appearance I'll go home happy. 

If a month ago, someone fantasy booked Shane vs Taker in Hell in a Cell at WRESTLEMANIA with Taker fighting for Vince basically because Vince said so kayfabe wise, no one would have taken that post or person seriously.

Here we are now. Rationalizing it.

Well I think some of the undercard things are being set up just to flesh out the Toronto show and then they will do whatever the fuck it is they are doing for Mania.

They never feel the need to really have to build up the undercard too much

Especially when we already know there will be one multiman match for either the IC or US title

I guess the thing is that ultimately Wrestlemania is kinda Old School RAW now - whilst I appreciate there are still some PPV sales, it's ultimately not what it was. It's a gimmick show.

True. My expectations are so low at this point that if they wheel out Howard Finkel and give us a Slick/Akeem appearance I'll go home happy.

I'd always be happy with Finkel, Slick, and Akeem. If you said Mike McGuirk; Harvey Wippleman; and Kwang, then you're setting the bar really low.

Wrestlemania has been like Old School Raw for the past several years, really.

Well I think some of the undercard things are being set up just to flesh out the Toronto show and then they will do whatever the fuck it is they are doing for Mania.

I'm really hoping they're going to blow off whatever AJ/Jericho are doing together or against eachother as well as Owens/Show and some of the other less interesting stuff and then start the final match buildup for mania.

Styles/Jericho will be a fine match for WM 32. I don't mind them holding off Owens/Styles until a later PPV. I don't think that's a feud either guy can afford to lose at this point.

Which means they'll somehow find a way for both guys to lose.

Owens could definitely withstand a clean job to Styles at this point, especially if he gets a program with Zayn or even champ Roman after Mania.

Even as a "wins and losses matter" guy, I'd still say a loss to AJ in a good match is more high profile than a win over the freaking Big Show.

Owens could definitely withstand a clean job to Styles at this point, especially if he gets a program with Zayn or even champ Roman after Mania.

Even as a "wins and losses matter" guy, I'd still say a loss to AJ in a good match is more high profile than a win over the freaking Big Show.

I'd like to see him get a several month reign with the title before dropping it. 

Lost in all this discussion about the show is Naomi's JBL tribute.  She did that little dance that he would do and pointed at him.  To which he said "That looked familiar."  Simple little moment, but I laughed anyway.