DVDVR Message Board

DECEMBER 2015 WRESTLING - Try 2

RIPPA

Fans ruin everything. Everything. It isn't sports specific, or even wrestling specific. Once fans get to a certain level of fandom, they become unbearable and make people want to avoid whatever that thing is so they don't have to interact with those people.

• Like 2

Fans ruin everything. Everything. It isn't sports specific, or even wrestling specific. Once fans get to a certain level of fandom, they become unbearable and make people want to avoid whatever that thing is so they don't have to interact with those people.

And this is why I'm expecting a fight when I say I think the new Star Wars was absolutely mediocre.

• Like 3

Even "fandom" doesnt totally change things, because it's not even fan specific, but ties into any and every part of life entirely. 

Geek culture just happened to coincide with the Internet allowing everyone to form tribes based on any and every interest that they have in the world, puts them in a bubble where they truly believe that everyone in the world is as obsessed with something as they are and it's the biggest thing in the world, then gave everyone enough of a voice to make them believe that they, themselves, are the center of the universe and all of society needs to form an age of philosopher-despots where they rule the world themselves, with maybe their friends/people who march lockstep to their own opinion allowed to serve directly underneath them.

• Like 3

That's a long sentence.

This is the worst argument. Can we talk about wrestling now and not how the fans suck or whatever? Let's talk about how awesome The Rock is for buying Haku a truck for Christmas. I rather talk about Haku than this nonsense. That says a lot.

• Like 6

I'd rather talk about Haku than probably 90% of what's discussed in here.

The other 10% is probably Haku.

Anyone remember the old WWF Wrestling Superstars Game?

pic58158.jpg

There have actually been a lot of wrestling games over the years. I didn't realize -- there was even a Verne Gagne one in the 50s!

• Like 1

Why did they have rubber wrestling figures that couldn't move? I had a few but I guess they were before my time. My time was G.I. Joes and Transformers with a bunch of moveable parts and removable weapons and helmets, etc.. 

I have to think that even when the big ass rubber wrestling figures came out that the moveable part technology had already been introduced and was circulating, no?

Why did they have rubber wrestling figures that couldn't move? I had a few but I guess they were before my time. My time was G.I. Joes and Transformers with a bunch of moveable parts and removable weapons and helmets, etc.. 

I have to think that even when the big ass rubber wrestling figures came out that the moveable part technology had already been introduced and was circulating, no?

I'm pretty sure the big-ass rubber guys wouldn't have been able to support articulation due to size and solidity. And that's fine by me - I could play with those guys in the bath; no way was I bringing a GI Joe in there.

I heard Haku didn't like the truck, so he ate the truck and then he pulled Rock's eye out for buying such a bad truck and then Harley Race came over and he and Haku had an epic staredown for two hours but then the tension passed and they went to a bar and drank all the whiskey ever made in the world.

• Like 5

I heard Haku didn't like the truck, so he ate the truck and then he pulled Rock's eye out for buying such a bad truck and then Harley Race came over and he and Haku had an epic staredown for two hours but then the tension passed and they went to a bar and drank all the whiskey ever made in the world.

Then  The Barbarian's wife beat up everyone in the bar.

• Like 2

I can totally picture in the 80s Vince being given the option of a toy line of gi joe size figures with poseable joints or giant blocks of rubber which would be 3-4 times the size of all other figures. It's not all that surprising which one he chose.  

• Like 3

so about 3 years ago i decided to go back and watch nWo-era WCW again, in real time, starting with the first Nitro. As far as WCW goes, i am watching everything i can find. that means Nitro, Thunder, Saturday Night, Worldwide, Main Event, Pro, and PPVs.some say i'm a glutton for punishment, and i really can't argue. but i'm having a blast. I just finished Starrcade '98 (Nash vs Goldberg) which leads me to a bit of a rant, although not the usual rant you hear about this era (push the younger guys!)

1. WCW rant:

so for the last three months, WCW has not delivered an advertised match for their monthly PPV events.

October / Halloween Havoc / DDP vs Goldberg- now we all know this was due to not properly utilizing PPV time

November / World War 3 / Scott Norton vs Booker T- this is at the time when Norton was IWGP champ and demolishing everyone. i was interested in how the booking goes. hell, they don't even have this on Nitro anytime around it. and granted, it was announced on WCW Saturday Night, but it was still announced.

December / Starrcade / Scott Hall vs Bam Bam Bigelow- no idea why this never happens since it was announced ahead of time and both guys were obviously there.

can you please deliver what you promise?

2. Goldberg rant:

one of my side projects while doing this viewing has been counting Goldberg's matches. after the loss last night to Nash, he stands at 89-1.

i know, i know, WCW's streak includes house shows. but they never count ANYTHING from house shows. Benoit won and lost the TV title over a weekend on house shows but isn't considered a former tv champion. Goldberg lost his first match in a dark match, and that's not counted. they had Hogan vs Sting in a steel cage at a house match and didn't even mention it. HOUSE SHOWS DON'T COUNT. a record of 89-0 is nothing to sneeze at, but when you're defending the World Title against jabronis like Rick Fuller, Scott Putski, and Al Green (early September '98) then who freaking cares?

P.S.

Perry Saturn is massively over and consistently has great matches. why does he not get more love?

WCW is clearly fucked by the Spring if 1998. There is just no planning for anything from that point on. But I think you can really trace it back to the middle of 1997 when shit started getting to the point where you could tell the inmates were running the asylum. Compare the plotting of storylines (even bad ones) in 1995 and 1996 compared to 1997. And then 1998.