DVDVR Message Board

DECEMBER 2015 WRESTLING - Try 2

RIPPA

The Rock is awesome. Haku is awesome. That's an awesome story.

The truck is awesome just by osmosis.

Or, in my world, Dwayne went into the Toyota dealership Haku works for, asked him which one he wanted, and asked the owner to have Haku sell it to him so Haku could get the truck and the commission.

• Like 2

Because there was clearly no plan beyond "having him win the title".  He was actually on TV far less often after winning the title than before. So the biggest new star you have suddenly isn't on TV. Makes a ton of sense.

Because there was clearly no plan beyond "having him win the title".  He was actually on TV far less often after winning the title than before. So the biggest new star you have suddenly isn't on TV. Makes a ton of sense.

It makes sense if your name is Hulk Hogan. Gets credit for jobbing to Goldberg, takes credit for the big crowd, and then continues on positioning himself as superior to Goldberg. He even let Nash take the heat for ending Goldberg's streak.

what made wcw must-see tv was the disorganization of the whole company gave it a degree of realism. you never knew what was going to happen because they didn't either.

i stopped watching WCW in the summer of '98 and switched completely to WWF. a few things got me to switch channels, namely the return of the Ultimate Warrior and certain main events. the debacle that was their big Atlanta show on 1/4/99 made me never watch their program again.

i'm actually looking forward to seeing what happens in 99/00 as i have little/no recollection of storylines, title changes, etc. should be an entertaining trainwreck if nothing else. it's an interesting look back, since i'm not invested in any storylines, or at least not as much as i would have been live.

Spring 99 up until Russo came in is about the worst shit a major promotion has ever put on. Do not be excited. Don't look forward to it. I would suggest not even watching it at all. Trust me. It turned me into an alcoholic.

• Like 1

what made wcw must-see tv was the disorganization of the whole company gave it a degree of realism. you never knew what was going to happen because they didn't either.

i stopped watching WCW in the summer of '98 and switched completely to WWF. a few things got me to switch channels, namely the return of the Ultimate Warrior and certain main events. the debacle that was their big Atlanta show on 1/4/99 made me never watch their program again.

i'm actually looking forward to seeing what happens in 99/00 as i have little/no recollection of storylines, title changes, etc. should be an entertaining trainwreck if nothing else. it's an interesting look back, since i'm not invested in any storylines, or at least not as much as i would have been live.

I've always kinda wanted to see and/or participate in a 'Best of WCW April 99-December 99' match poll.  I'd love to see what people would come up with as the best matches, because even the better matches are overbooked to hell.  Also, my #1 would almost definitely be Terry Funk-Chris Candido street fight which is so silly and entertaining and features both wrestlers getting kicked by a horse.

• Like 1

I've always kinda wanted to see and/or participate in a 'Best of WCW April 99-December 99' match poll.  I'd love to see what people would come up with as the best matches, because even the better matches are overbooked to hell.  Also, my #1 would almost definitely be Terry Funk-Chris Candido street fight which is so silly and entertaining and features both wrestlers getting kicked by a horse.

That wasn't until 2000. Everything after Spring Stampede 1999 is dog shit for the most part. 

Sting/DDP vs 4/26, Robinson vs George at Slamboree, some of the Benoit/Malenko vs Rey/Kidman vs Saturn/Raven matches, and that's kind of it. I mean, Blitzkrieg matches too, but I wouldn't call 7 minute crazy spotfests great matches or anything.

I covered the entire year on my site and god damn was it the most brutal shit to get through. Summer of 99 is the absolute worst garbage. Savage/Nash angle is fucking horrendous on all levels. The Summer of 1999 had Hogan returning to the red and yellow, Bischoff returning as a face authority figure/announcer who was somehow even worse than before, tons of Rick Steiner, way too much of Roddy Piper, many a Thunder where Stevie Ray was the biggest star, and just awful shit all around. It was miserable. 

JbWQKDm.gif

• Like 1

DDP/Flair strap match from Halloween Havoc and 3-way tag from Slamboree are the only truly good ppv matches from this time frame that I can recall from my efforts to watch all dying-days WCW ppvs on the network. Goldberg/Sid from Havoc was way better than it should've been too, and that counts for a lot during that time stretch. Watching 99-01 WCW is not a task for the faint of heart.

No doubt that summer of 99 was the worst of the worst. It was bad AND boring. At least when Russo came in, the memorable wrestlecrap picked up. Shows like Havoc 99, Slamboree 2000, and New Blood Rising are godsends when you're watching these shows, because at least you laugh and remember what happiness feels like for a few fleeting moments. 2000-01 was still really bad in the grand scheme of things, though. I don't think 01 was even as good as first 3 months of 99.