DVDVR Message Board

DECEMBER 2015 WRESTLING - Try 2

RIPPA

I still cannot watch 2000 WCW because of Mark Madden's commentary.  He's still the only color commentator to make me shut shows off, and that includes all the shit we've seen on WWE in the past decade.

I still call Randy Orton's weird backbreaker the "3.0 GPA" thanks to 2000 WCW.

• Like 1

Who was worse, Mark Madden or heel Michael Cole?

Heel Cole by a lot. Madden was terrible, but his rep as an all-time bad announcer gets inflated because of the legendary awfulness of the rest of the product. Nobody goes back and re-watches 2011 WWE.

While we're talking about WCW announcers, am I the only one that's never liked Mike Tenay?

I always did like Scott Hudson's voice, though. Maybe not his abilities, but his voice was/is suited for sports broadcasting.

No doubt that summer of 99 was the worst of the worst. It was bad AND boring. At least when Russo came in, the memorable wrestlecrap picked up. Shows like Havoc 99, Slamboree 2000, and New Blood Rising are godsends when you're watching these shows, because at least you laugh and remember what happiness feels like for a few fleeting moments. 2000-01 was still really bad in the grand scheme of things, though. I don't think 01 was even as good as first 3 months of 99.

2001 had some focus. It wasn't good, exactly, but it seemed like they were trying to get back on track a little bit.

Who was worse, Mark Madden or heel Michael Cole?

Mark Madden. Absolutely and forever. Fuck him.

Mark Madden was whatever, I guess, but 2 things big time piss me off about him:

1) his cute nicknames like calling Jindrak and O'Hare "White Harlem Heat" or calling Shannon Moore "HB2K"

2) Not wrestling related-- anything he's ever written about the Pittsburgh Steelers. The same sort of thing like we were talking about a few pages ago in this thread regarding miserable fans.

Other than that, he seems like a regular dude who got the opportunity of a lifetime.

Heel Michael Cole was horrendous other than the Cole Mine. That was pretty brilliant. Everything else turned me off, especially the Daniel Bryan stuff. Talk about putting a guy behind the 8 ball.

WCW in early 2001 was the best it had been since at least 1999. With Flair and the Magnificent Seven retiring all of the favorites, they were at least building to something. Also, the fact that guys like AJ Styles and Christopher Daniels were under contract was at least promising.  

WCW needed to end the Monday Night Wars and focus on The Mothership. I understand that TBS was re-branding as a comedy channel so WCW wouldn't fit but TNT had just acquired NASCAR and had started rebranding themselves as a drama network. I see no reason why WCW Saturday Night would not have fit into TNT's schedule. 

Thinking about the Lawler/Cole match at WrestleMania, it would have been a lot better if it was a Loser Leaves WWE match. Lawler loses, but Michael Cole still gets his comeuppance and things go back to normal. Cole is still shitty, but not a heel. Lawler is out of the picture and he can be an agent or get a Legends contract and still do odd matches on the indy circuit with current names, etc.

Yes, I'm aware, but he's still on my television. In the scenario I just described, he wouldn't be, because he lost. He was always going to lose at WrestleMania, but at least make it mean something and still give him a "moment".

While we're talking about WCW announcers, am I the only one that's never liked Mike Tenay?

I hope so. He was seemingly the only person in WCW who acted like he gave a damn. I know is TNA work has pretty much sucked, but in WCW, he always came across as the only one not half assing it.

I hated Tenay, too. He was basically just a message board poster nerd. He was okay in small does when he'd be on the show for one or two matches, but once he started being a full show guy, and then lead, he was just as terrible as he was in TNA. Just non stop smarky shitheadedness. 

• Like 2

Nothing is worse than Madden's "Snootchie Bootchies, Tony....Snootchie Bootchies!"  A million Michael Coles could Michael Cole for a million years and never be worse than that.

Yeah but Jay & Silent Bob was culturally relevant at that time, even if it was to a niche audience. If WWE had Cole say the catchphrase of a popular or cult movie figure today, it would be 4 years too late and no one would get it.

Maybe I just liked it because I loved Dogma and Chasing Amy at that point in my life.

• Like 1

It wasn't stupid because he was making a Jay and Silent Bob reference, it was stupid because "Snootchie Bootchies" is a drug reference and Madden would roll it out when there were scantily clad women in a clear and shitty imitation of Lawler saying "puppies."

Nothing is worse than Madden's "Snootchie Bootchies, Tony....Snootchie Bootchies!"  A million Michael Coles could Michael Cole for a million years and never be worse than that.

Yeah but Jay & Silent Bob was culturally relevant at that time, even if it was to a niche audience. If WWE had Cole say the catchphrase of a popular or cult movie figure today, it would be 4 years too late and no one would get it.

Maybe I just liked it because I loved Dogma and Chasing Amy at that point in my life.

Yeah, but  'Snootchie Bootchies' was mostly a 'Mallrats' thing (Jay joked in 'Chasing Amy' about saying stupid shit like "Snootchie Bootchies").  So, in that case Madden was using it some 6 years after the movie was out.  I mean, I guess it could be a reference to the 'Clerks' TV series, but considering that only lasted two episodes, he's either referencing something from 6 years earlier or something very little of the audience has likely seen.

It wasn't stupid because he was making a Jay and Silent Bob reference, it was stupid because "Snootchie Bootchies" is a drug reference and Madden would roll it out when there were scantily clad women in a clear and shitty imitation of Lawler saying "puppies."

Awful.  The worst is that he couldn't just say it and shut up, he always had to address it to one of the announcers so they had to acknowledge it.  It had the effect of a drunk uncle leering up to you at a party and looking at some hot girl and going nudging you in the ribs: "You see her?  See her?  Snootchie Bootchies, amirite?! AMIRITE?!"

• Like 1