DVDVR Message Board

DECEMBER 2015 WRESTLING - Try 2

RIPPA

I haven't seen any ROH since 2004. 

But people have to seek out the Strong/Thatcher matches.

Obviously for something as auspicious as March Madness we have to look at an entire body of work, and I'm not going to go watch ROH, so forget that. I'd still vote for Maximo over Rollins.

How about Chris Hero? I really liked the Chris Hero vs World of Sport Fan-Fiction All Stars series.

And don't forget Dalton Castle. And ADAM COLE, BAYBAY!!!!!!

Castle is great.  (And a much better gimmick than Ashley Remington.)

But Cole...  I dunno about him.  His enormous head makes him look like the world's tallest little person.

Cole and Castle also do nothing at all for me. Castle seems like when the internet loved Adam Rose for a few months and then realized the whole thing was dumb and going nowhere. Cole is super generic to me. I watched all the big shows for ROH in the first half of this year and found it to be a completely lifeless and dull product, with somehow worse production values than they had a decade ago, with bad commentary, bad wrestling. Just bad everything. ADR vs Lethal is in my top ten worst matches of the year.

Matt D bringing up March Madness in December is one of the biggest troll moves of 2015.

Also, if you think someone is bad because they had a boring match with Zach Sabre Jr you must think that every wrestler in the world is bad.

I find ZSJ to be a wonderful wrassler and a pleasure to watch. The only match I've seen with him that bored me was the one with Strong.

I did enjoy Thatcher/Busick matches I've seen this year. Gulak seems like a clearly below average version of those two. I pretty much gave up on indie wrestling entirely around the time of Age of the Fall/Nigel headbutting ring posts, but I did watch BOLA this year and came out of it enjoying Thatcher/Busick/ZSJ/Tommy End (if he wouldn't spam the knee so much)/HOSS Hero/Jack Evans cosplaying as Teddy Hart.

Did not enjoy the flippy bullshit of O'Spreay/Andrews one bit, and was also super annoyed at how "ARG I'M A HEEL LOL" Marty Scurll was.

Matt D bringing up March Madness in December is one of the biggest troll moves of 2015.

Also, if you think someone is bad because they had a boring match with Zach Sabre Jr you must think that every wrestler in the world is bad.

Just imagine the fun we'll have in a few short months.

• Like 1

March Madness is fun, but I hope it has women in it this year so that I can 1) vote for Sasha Banks each round and 2) troll harangue persuade people to vote for Sasha Banks each round. 

• Like 3

the world's tallest little person.

Still reckon this gimmick is MONEY.

Have a midgets division, have a guy who's about 5'6-5'7 come in and work a giant midget gimmick. Change his moveset from flippy shit to big guy Andre The Giant type tropes - getting tied up in the ropes, big boots, sitdown splashes, etc, then eventually once a legitimate big guy comes out to make the save, just have him revert to flippy shit bump machine for no justifiable reason at all.

• Like 10

Have a midgets division, have a guy who's about 5'6-5'7 come in and work a giant midget gimmick. Change his moveset from flippy shit to big guy Andre The Giant type tropes - getting tied up in the ropes, big boots, sitdown splashes, etc, then eventually once a legitimate big guy comes out to make the save, just have him revert to flippy shit bump machine for no justifiable reason at all.

Holy fuck, I love this idea.

• Like 1

March Madness is fun, but I hope it has women in it this year so that I can 1) vote for Sasha Banks each round and 2) troll harangue persuade people to vote for Sasha Banks each round. 

Well there is a case to be made that if she were a guy she would have been would have probably been WWE Champion by now.

Anyway I saw this question Reddit earlier. Thought it was interesting.

It's amusing how many people are saying Cesaro and are forgetting he's out for six month's. They can't all be John Cena with recovery. Here's what I responded based on what I think was some foreshadowing by Heyman on Monday.

"Heyman hinted at it on Monday. No one wants to fight him. He's only there to fight. Owens eliminates Brock. Setting up Brock/Owens for WM. Big money fight for both. Owens says he did it purley for to get a big money fight. Boom."

I mean that's how I'd do it. Brock is running rough shot in the rumble till Owens gets there. He matches up and manages to trick/outsmart Brock to eliminate him. Brock is super pissed. Comes back in and throws Owens out. They brawl all over to the back. Next night more brawling. Set up for a huge Wrestlemania match. The stuff with Brock is the only compelling stuff they do on the shows so I'd love to see the build for an Owens/Brock match.

Holy fuck, I love this idea.

Robot Chicken did it first:

http://youtu.be/4opwPGXy5Mo

WWE needs to drop the US Title and bring back the European or Television Championship. We need a clear second-tier championship. The US and IC Titles devalue each other by existing together. 

The US Championship WAS the TV Championship all year when Cena had the belt. It's also clearly on the higher tier than the IC title, but also a clear secondary title. Changing the names doesn't do anything to change the booking.

WWE needs to pick a belt and have it be THE clear secondary title. There needs to be an 1980s- mid 90s IC Title equivalent, something that sends the signal of "if this guy has it, he's on the cusp of being the real deal."

There isn't anything like that now. 

I was actually thinking about that this morning and it's kind of a fallacy to believe the IC belt used to be a signifier that a guy was on the cusp of being a "tippy top guy."  For every Ultimate Warrior or Randy Savage, you've got a bunch of HTMs, Santanas, Muracos, Mounties, etc., guys who were career midcarders and not really seen as serious threats to the WWF title.

Boxing has (in order of importance) World, Intercontinental, British Commonwealth, Continental (ie European, North American, Asian) and National titles*. So I always took that to mean that the IC is above the USA. Plus the USA is a former WCW title and therefore clearly (in management's eyes) below the old WWF Intercontinental Championship. Just like during the brand extension/ roster split the Ric Flair Big Gold Belt World title was considered to be less important than the WWE title.

The company was more important than the world. Nice perspective, Vince.

Well of course Vince is going to value his company title over the big gold belt which, let's be honest, had lost all meaning and value by then anyway.  Also, the naming of the old WWF title as "WWF Championship" with no "world" in it was a concession to the NWA.  Vince Sr. parted amicably with the NWA but agreed to not promote his champion as "the world champion." 

I await the awful double edge sword known as screen caps should women be included in MM...

That's easy, just do spoiler's and trigger warnings for the double standard I mean overly sensitive I mean easily offended.

Well there is a case to be made that if she were a guy she would have been would have probably been WWE Champion by now.

Anyway I saw this question Reddit earlier. Thought it was interesting.

It's amusing how many people are saying Cesaro and are forgetting he's out for six month's. They can't all be John Cena with recovery. Here's what I responded based on what I think was some foreshadowing by Heyman on Monday.

"Heyman hinted at it on Monday. No one wants to fight him. He's only there to fight. Owens eliminates Brock. Setting up Brock/Owens for WM. Big money fight for both. Owens says he did it purley for to get a big money fight. Boom."

I mean that's how I'd do it. Brock is running rough shot in the rumble till Owens gets there. He matches up and manages to trick/outsmart Brock to eliminate him. Brock is super pissed. Comes back in and throws Owens out. They brawl all over to the back. Next night more brawling. Set up for a huge Wrestlemania match. The stuff with Brock is the only compelling stuff they do on the shows so I'd love to see the build for an Owens/Brock match.

The only problem with Owens/Lesnaris we don't get Owens/Zayn over Zayn eliminating Owens

Knowing WWE logic, the Undertakers bell will ring and Brock will eliminate himself. 

Owens only works if they start building him up as an unstoppable monster as soon as possible. The way he's currently booked it has a feel of a squash match. Owens isn't in Brocks league yet.

The only big match I can think of that can result from a Brock elimination in the Rumble is a Bryan return.  

KO would look so, so ridiculous next to Brock. If you want to have KO be a bad ass dude, don't put him next to Brock. Ever. Don't even have them in the same building. He'd look like a weak ass fat kid next to Brock.

I dunno about that. People said Punk would look silly with Brock, and that match was pretty enjoyable. I've read a lot about people wanting a Bryan/Brock match, and despite the submission based offense, physically I think I'd buy KO more. It all depends on how they present it. I mean, Sting is like 56 or whatever and he was presented as a credible threat against Rollins, a guy who was not only world champion, but a young guy in great shape. Anything is possible if approached properly.