DVDVR Message Board

DECEMBER 2015 WRESTLING - Try 2

RIPPA

Swagger is just like Lesnar in the sense that he's big and wrestled in college. Other than that, he's nothing like Brock. He doesn't have the skill and more importantly the presence of Brock. You can't teach presence. You can have Swagger win every match for the next 15 years and he's never going to be like Brock.

• Like 1

His catchphrase is still over.

For whatever reason.

Fans are desperate to get to do something that allows them to join in on the show. The easiest way to get yourself over is have a chant or taunt that fans can do with you. See: Fandango, Adam Rose, YES, TEN, Emma's dance, FEED ME MORE, etc etc. 

I don't even know if Vince Russo started the whole "you need to talk to be over" thing. I can't remember a time when the WWF pushed someone who either couldn't talk or had a manager. You can have someone win a lot but they still need a connection with the audience in order to be over. 

And goofy comedy has been the WWE's thing since national expansion began. I just wish they'd restart Tuesday Night Titans so they can get it out of their system on one television show. 

I can't remember a time when the WWF pushed someone who either couldn't talk or had a manager.

Brock Lesnar. 2013-present

I made a mistake in my original post. I meant to say that I couldn't remember the last time WWE pushed someone who couldn't talk or didn't have a manager. Otherwise I'd be excluding The Undertaker, Kane, Umaga and of course Lesnar.

WWE has never been keen on pushing people who did not have at least some kind of voice, whether it be their own or somebody's else's. There has never been a highly pushed WWWF/WWF/WWE star that did not have someone doing the talking for him. It's just not what the McMahons do or have ever done for that matter, going all the way back to the Blassie/Wizard/Albano managing days and beyond. 

Daniel Bryan isn't over; Daniel Bryan's catchphrase is over.

Uh...wasn't there a moment where he won the title at some wrestling event after years of struggle and the crowd was crazy happy because the previous year he lost in 30 seconds?

That's why it worked so well when they tried to have Big Show steal it!

Also why the Royal Rumble crowd shit all over Reigns winning.

Yet multiple crowds during the year gave Reigns the YES chants this year, including the same Philly crowd that booed him at the Rumble doing it for his title win on Raw.