DVDVR Message Board

DECEMBER 2015 WRESTLING - Try 2

RIPPA

One of WWEs biggest problem is they don't turn over the roster nearly enough. It leads to guys being around for a decade just wandering around doing everything that they could possibly do.

A guy like Jack Swagger has been around for eight years. He has done everything he can. Time to move on and fill the spot with a fresh face.

Shit, Swagger is newcomer compared to Big Show and Kane.

Glenn Jacobs deserves his own wing of the Hall of Fame for getting almost 20 years out of the Kane character.

That would be a hell of a wing. Dr. Shelby, Ron Paul, and Katie Vick.

if Vince Russo had been around during the Katie Vick angle, I'm like 99% sure that it would've ended with Katie Vick appearing on RAW and revealing to Kane that she faked her own death and was now banging Triple H for real. 

If WWE wanted to go full soap opera today, they'd reveal that Katie Vick faked her death, gave birth to Braun Strowman 9 months after she and Kane had sex, raised him in secret and waited for the right day for him to appear and get revenge on his father.

None of the above is a good idea. 

• Like 1

One of WWEs biggest problem is they don't turn over the roster nearly enough. It leads to guys being around for a decade just wandering around doing everything that they could possibly do.

A guy like Jack Swagger has been around for eight years. He has done everything he can. Time to move on and fill the spot with a fresh face.

13 months ago, you could have said that about Kofi Kingston. He was a bland, boring character-less babyface who'd had a bunch of runs with the IC and US titles, won the tag belts with various partners, and none of it was particularly memorable. He'd had a push to a main event angle, and it had died because Orton couldn't be arsed to sell it. But pretty much, he'd done everything he could, and was being kept around for two reasons: To escape elimination in the rumble in a cool way, and to do something unexpected in a ladder match. And as soon as someone athletic enough to do those things instead showed up, no need for Kofi to exist, right?

And then he joined the New Day. And now he's awesome.

• Like 1

13 months ago, you could have said that about Kofi Kingston. He was a bland, boring character-less babyface who'd had a bunch of runs with the IC and US titles, won the tag belts with various partners, and none of it was particularly memorable. He'd had a push to a main event angle, and it had died because Orton couldn't be arsed to sell it. But pretty much, he'd done everything he could, and was being kept around for two reasons: To escape elimination in the rumble in a cool way, and to do something unexpected in a ladder match. And as soon as someone athletic enough to do those things instead showed up, no need for Kofi to exist, right?

And then he joined the New Day. And now he's awesome.

Even then, Swagger got that "New Day" moment last year when he turned face and became the token USA guy- and people have thought that wasn't huge either. Swagger's even done that.

Really, by now it's past "lifer", past "good hand", and into "WWE's still terrified the second they let Swagger walk away he's going to be a GOD in UFC and so we're stuck with him."

I maintain that in the Swagger v Rusev feud the real money was Swagger winning in the end. People were going nuts over USA Swagger. Still waiting to be proven wrong. In the long run, neither Swagger nor the guy they presented as so unstoppable he couldn't drop a fall really went anywhere.

• Like 2

I swear I read someone in this thread say that in the last 13 years he hasn't seen anyone say that was a really good/great episode of Raw.

If I read that right, that is the biggest load of horseshit I've seen on here in a long time. Look, on the reg, Raw isn't good, but dammit, there's been some great episodes of Raw this year. That's the case every year. It's what gets our hopes up that creative has figured things out before they shoot themselves in the foot again.

So if anyone thinks that not one person has heaped praise on an episode of Raw, then they aren't paying attention.

• Like 2

I swear I read someone in this thread say that in the last 13 years he hasn't seen anyone say that was a really good/great episode of Raw.

If I read that right, that is the biggest load of horseshit I've seen on here in a long time. Look, on the reg, Raw isn't good, but dammit, there's been some great episodes of Raw this year. That's the case every year. It's what gets our hopes up that creative has figured things out before they shoot themselves in the foot again.

So if anyone thinks that not one person has heaped praise on an episode of Raw, then they aren't paying attention.

"I didn't really pay close attention to what was written hours ago earlier in this thread, but I'm going to comment on how it's total bullshit that someone would have an opinion on something they haven't actually watched."

• Like 1

Kofi still sucks at actually wrestling.

He never sucked at wrestling, he just had no character to speak of for about 8 years.

He sucks at wrestling. The only time his offense has looked even slightly credible is that time he botched his finisher and nearly kicked Miz's face into orbit. Even Ziggler's offense looks stiff in comparison to Kofi.

"I didn't really pay close attention to what was written hours ago earlier in this thread, but I'm going to comment on how it's total bullshit that someone would have an opinion on something they haven't actually watched."

Or I'm referring directly to sklba's post from 2 pages back, dick.

What he actually said was most of the time people weren't heaping praise on RAW. Which is true - but there have been a shitload of good episodes of RAW in the last 13 years. Dude just hasn't bothered to check them out.

The notion that Swagger is dead weight on the roster is stupid, too - he has a crowd participation spot that's actually over. Even if it's just cheap heat, anyone that can actually engage with the crowd at this point is worth hanging onto. Swagger could reasonably be employed for the rest of his career as a JTTS just like Ryder. And half the main roster now are NXT callups - the idea that there's little turnover is just not true.

• Like 1

Kofi still sucks at actually wrestling.

He never sucked at wrestling, he just had no character to speak of for about 8 years.

He sucks at wrestling. The only time his offense has looked even slightly credible is that time he botched his finisher and nearly kicked Miz's face into orbit. Even Ziggler's offense looks stiff in comparison to Kofi.

I think he's always been a perfectly fine midcard wrestler who can put on a decent match with just about anyone, and a really good one from time to time.

Kofi was a good hand who suffered from what Barrett, Ziggler and others are suffering from now, a lack of creative direction and existing just to have matches that lead nowhere. 

Not everyone has to have an elaborate storyline but give us a reason to fucking care about these people. WWE fails to even do that. They have umpteen hours of TV per week and can't seem to accomplish a basic element of storytelling.

• Like 1

If WWE can't get Angle back, Swagger might work as a low-rent Angle who can team with and mentor Jordan and Gable when they get called up.

What do you mean "can't" get Angle back? As in...TNA would pay him more, or he would turn WWE down? WWE will never take him down because he clearly would never pass their physicals. TNA shouldn't have let him in their rings for a solid 5 years now.

• Like 1

If WWE can't get Angle back, Swagger might work as a low-rent Angle who can team with and mentor Jordan and Gable when they get called up.

What do you mean "can't" get Angle back? As in...TNA would pay him more, or he would turn WWE down? WWE will never take him down because he clearly would never pass their physicals. TNA shouldn't have let him in their rings for a solid 5 years now.

If Angle won't accept a non-wrestling role within WWE. If he returns, he needs to just manage Jordan and Gable. I can't see Kurt accepting those terms though. 

I don't know why they'd want him in any televised role, what with all of his legal/substance issues and ravaged physical appearance. He could probably do some good work at the Performance Center. I think as a manager he'd both outshine Jordan and Gable as well as bum people out who probably haven't seen him since he left WWE.