DVDVR Message Board

Hulk Hogan's WCW Contract, Brother!

The thing about Hogan getting a piece of the house is that it was gross. Someone on Reddit pointed out that this means before they even paid anything for the building, Hogan got his cut off the top. That's like some mafia level racketeering right there. I got a good laugh though that in 1998 they were considering a Hulk Hogan 900 number or at least had the pay plan in place for it. We should be lucky those things aren't around anymore. You know Vince would have made a Cena 900 number if he could have.

Lou Thesz talked about negotiating to get gross instead of net when it came to his percentage of the house. He said that shady promoters back then would always try to offer his cut out of the net. He said then they would claim that the reason the net was so low was that they had to take out all kinds of expenses, most of which weren't legit and then just got put right back into their pockets. Just a way to get out of paying the talent and line their own pockets. Don't know if that sort of thing was rampant in the 90's but still, Hogan was smart to get the gross.

The thing about Hogan getting a piece of the house is that it was gross.

You can say that again.

I think LEO BURKE on the books for $28K might be the most random thing ever. He sure as hell wasn't wrestling for them... did he promote their lucrative shows in Atlantic Canada?

Was he training? I believe when Bret was running his undercover WWF camps in Calgary, that Leo was the main guy training the guys.

It's 98...so these are contracts offered and signed during Eric Bischoff's watch?

Bischoff:  WCW's finally on top.  I don’t know how to thank you, Hulkster.

Hogan:  That’s alright, Eric. I'm getting 25% of the Nitro gate.

Bischoff:  What?  That’s the sweetest plum!

krusty-gets-kancelled19.png

Where my mind went.

He had a great blog piece fifteen years ago on his website about talking to Austin before a WWF show about their hair or lack their of.

That was like 4 sentences 15 years ago and I remember exactly what you're talking about. The highlights were Austin saying "Didn't you have hair the last time you came here?" Daniels answering in the affirmative, and Austin saying, "It's not as easy as people think, is it?"

• Like 1

Imagine for a second what Hogan might have asked for that WCW refused.

Harlem Heat in chains being led to the ring by plantation owner Col. Parker?

Yes, I know that was proposed and shot down before Hogan got to WCW.

Maybe it was proposed BY Hogan in the initial contract negotiations. 

• Like 2

Honestly, that's a pretty hefty per diem when your trans and hotel expenses are all paid for. There's catering at the shows and I would imagine room service, so that $175 probably went up his nose, mostly.

What did Hogan tend to do at night once the show was over, anyway? I've never heard much talk of him being at the bar afterwards, or really hanging out with the boys in general.

Imagine for a second what Hogan might have asked for that WCW refused.

Hulk: "I want 25% of the gate when I'm on Nitro; 50% of all the merch; and what's that thing called where Kings get to sleep with all the chicks in their kingdom? I want that, with the Nitro Girls, brother."

Bischoff: "Hulk, we can't do that... "

Hulk: "Then gimme all that other stuff, brother."

• Like 4

Eric literally used Turner as an ATM. The guy was worse than Paul Heyman Dixie Carter with money. 

Wasn't the saying that everyone knew Vince would eventually win the MNW because ultimately he was the one gambling with his own money, whilst Eric was gambling someone else's money (and Paul E was gambling with no money).