DVDVR Message Board

Hulk Hogan's WCW Contract, Brother!

To be fair, Kimberly was performer for the company years before they started the Nitro Girls thing, and was probably still being paid based off that.

Which doesn't mean she wasn't overpaid, but Jesus Fucking Christ, everyone was except her fellow Nitro Girls.

I read Hogan's contract at work today and a loud "FUCK!" rang out in the building. Fucking Christ Sipping Tea, we all knew Hogan was getting paid, but no one knew he was getting PAID. Fuck! Hogan's contract was crazy, but imagine those of Hall, Nash, Goldberg, Flair, Hart, Savage, Sting, and DDP. If I had to guess the only people in WWE with a contract even CLOSE to Hogan's 1998 contract would be Cena, Taker, and Lesnar (two of those guys are part-timers).

The number that blew my mind was that Hogan was getting 25% of the house for Nitros. Like, I'm not remotely shocked Hogan got a big signing bonus or huge money from PPV because he's Hogan and he's not stupid and that's what he does. But Jesus, he made some serious Nitro cash too when you start adding it up.

It explains a lot about those extended nWo promos that went nowhere on many a Nitro.

the one that popped out to me was that Hogan made $20,000 every time he put on an nWo shirt. no wonder they drug that angle out so long.

The thing about Hogan getting a piece of the house is that it was gross. Someone on Reddit pointed out that this means before they even paid anything for the building, Hogan got his cut off the top. That's like some mafia level racketeering right there. I got a good laugh though that in 1998 they were considering a Hulk Hogan 900 number or at least had the pay plan in place for it. We should be lucky those things aren't around anymore. You know Vince would have made a Cena 900 number if he could have.

God bless Hulk Hogan, that contract is the hustle to end all hustles

Right?  I can see Hogan and his lawyer snickering as they put the most outlandish shit they can think of in the contract, like, "fuck it, let's see if these yokels go for it, why not?"  And WCW went for all of it.

God bless Hulk Hogan, that contract is the hustle to end all hustles

Right? I can see Hogan and his lawyer snickering as they put the most outlandish shit they can think of in the contract, like, "fuck it, let's see if these yokels go for it, why not?" And WCW went for all of it.

Most likely how this negotiation went...

http://youtu.be/qN1Blw35-84

• Like 3

Jerry Flynn had a $150k contract.  JERRY FLYNN.  I mean, I love Jerry Flynn more than is defensible, he always had good matches with Goldberg and he had the sack to enter the World Combat Championships back when nobody knew what the hell they were doing in a shootfight, but $150k for a jobber?  

• Like 1

To be fair, Kimberly was performer for the company years before they started the Nitro Girls thing, and was probably still being paid based off that.

Which doesn't mean she wasn't overpaid, but Jesus Fucking Christ, everyone was except her fellow Nitro Girls.

It's also worth noting that Torrie Wilson was also getting paid 200k

Jerry Flynn had a $150k contract.  JERRY FLYNN.  I mean, I love Jerry Flynn more than is defensible, he always had good matches with Goldberg and he had the sack to enter the World Combat Championships back when nobody knew what the hell they were doing in a shootfight, but $150k for a jobber?  

How dare you

master of THE BLOCK

• Like 1

At the time, it was really exciting for people. It was announced earlier in the day and there was a lot of buzz. Then they botched a bunch of stuff and life went back to normal.

Didn't Mike Tenay even try to give it some shine during the intros as an Indie Super Bowl of sorts?

The thing about Hogan getting a piece of the house is that it was gross.

You can say that again.

I think LEO BURKE on the books for $28K might be the most random thing ever. He sure as hell wasn't wrestling for them... did he promote their lucrative shows in Atlantic Canada?

• Like 1

At the time, it was really exciting for people. It was announced earlier in the day and there was a lot of buzz. Then they botched a bunch of stuff and life went back to normal.

Didn't Mike Tenay even try to give it some shine during the intros as an Indie Super Bowl of sorts?

He called them "the top two independent wrestlers in the country", as I recall, and as much as said that the winner would get a contract. After the match, they were both given 90-day deals that I don't think either saw the end of.