DVDVR Message Board

Big Cass is totally giving Carmella the D in real life right?

"Saddle Up, cowboy"

Tb4x7VM.png

I think that segment was just meant to give Cass and Carmella some air time and they came off as nice people. Every time they show Carmella she's happy as can be, you can tell she really loves it there.

It's probably better than her last job.

I think that segment was just meant to give Cass and Carmella some air time and they came off as nice people. Every time they show Carmella she's happy as can be, you can tell she really loves it there.

I worry about Bayley and Carmella for when the reality hits about what a shitty business they're in truly is. When genuinely good people get in WWE and try and remain that way I feel like rooting for them to turn out alright is like rooting for the kids to survive in a horror movie.

They should do a "Name That Tune" style challenge to see who can name the most of Mike Shaw's gimmicks.

Okay off the top of my head

Makkan Singh

Norman the Lunatic

Trucker Norm

Friar Furgeson

Bastion Booger

Am I missing any?

He worked Mexico at Solomon Grundy's "brother" Aaron Grundy.

I think you missed Klondike Mike too.

Always loved it when WWE showed footage from the road for their tours and this episode was no exception.

Carmella looks so much less of a heel with less makeup. Someone should really sit her down and tell her that sometimes less is more.

Speaking of which, I'm not-so-strangely attracted to makeup-less, bespectacled Sara.

Things nobody has pointed out yet:

As Breeze walks to the ring, they cut to the Drake Younger and the ring announcer in the ring and Drake is singing along to Tyler's theme.  I lol'd.

During the shot of fans entering Full Sail, there's So Cal Val.  Not a passing shot, either.  They just show her walking into the building.  Maybe she's friends with someone on the production staff.

• Like 2

Carmella looks so much less of a heel with less makeup. Someone should really sit her down and tell her that sometimes less is more.

I doubt very much that any female worker under contract to WWE has any real control over the amount of makeup they wear.

• Like 1

About the only aspect of the show I'm iffy on is the way they keep teetering between maintaining kayfabe and just acknowledging all the people on there are performers playing roles with the way they just refer to the non-developmental people by their gimmick names.  Last week's segment with Dayna Brooke was a prime example of this where it was like they couldn't decide if they wanted her to stay in character all the time or not.  Or maybe Dayna herself didn't know how she wanted to play it.

Ok, time for my Dana Brooke rebuttal.  I saw some posts that said she was disingenuous last week.  I don't think people understood that they mixed interviews with the real person with promos of Dana Brooke from earlier this year.  That could be seen as confusing.  But I don't think she was being fake.  And I'm gonna trust Sara regarding the real person behind Dana Brooke.  I also saw somebody say that she cares more about looking good than being proficient in the ring.  Well, she went from one job where appearance is the #1 priority to another job where appearance is in the top 3 priorities.  And for her character, I'd argue it's #1 or #2. 

If somebody had told me months ago I'd be defending Dana Brooke today, I would have flipped.

I think I'm the one who said the thing about her caring more about appearance, but I think you missed the context.  I said that she came off seeming that way, but based on her work that clearly isn't the case.  I was saying that this show wasn't doing her any favors.  She has improved by leaps and bounds, and she couldn't do that if she wasn't working her ass off.  Her segments put a focus on her doing all the cosmetic stuff with energy and vigor, but being lackadaisical and uninspired in the ring.  It was more of a criticsm of how she was portrayed than it was about her as a performer.

As Breeze walks to the ring, they cut to the Drake Younger and the ring announcer in the ring and Drake is singing along to Tyler's theme.  I lol'd.

During the shot of fans entering Full Sail, there's So Cal Val.  Not a passing shot, either.  They just show her walking into the building.  Maybe she's friends with someone on the production staff.

I thought that was Val, but dismissed it thinking "No way they'd show her."  I'm sure somebody knew who she is, but still weird seeing that.  And the ref singing was hilarious.  Also got a kick out of Tyler and Dillinger looking at bats for no real reason, as well as a debate on what happened at the Alamo.

Find it weird Josh cut that promo after they built him up as this good guy with a family.  Right off the bat he said he makes more than the others and you could see some resentment in their eyes.  If the promo was any good he could get away with that.  But if that's all he has then holy shit he's fucked.  If anything just give him a manager from now on.

• Like 1

Okay - I am watching this week's episode now so I am not looking at folk's post yet so this might have been covered already.

Am I crazy - or was that SoCal Val who was shown for like 1 second as a "fan entering the NXT" show (it's like less than 5 minutes into the show)?

I don't know if Baron Corbin comes off well to anyone else, but I like him a lot more after watching a couple of episodes.  He isn't really an asshole, as much as he's someone who wants to be left alone.  I can relate, because I'm a pretty big introvert, but he comes off as someone who doesn't really need all the attention.  With that said, being a 6'8" professional wrestler makes that a pretty tough life.  The parts that really made him turn a corner with me were him watching Tyler Breeze's match and how happy he was to be able to wrestle in front of his cousin and his son.  Everything he said about Breeze's match was this is a competition and I want to win, but you could tell that he really respected his work.  He's probably been the biggest surprise for me.

Tyler Breeze is phenomenal.  I don't know what his ceiling is, but he's the perfect NXT wrestler.  The Jason Jordan ball busting contest was amazing.  Jordan, who just looks like the type of dude who spent his entire high school years fucking with dudes like Tyler Breeze, didn't know what hit him by the end.  Him being so hyped about putting on a good match, him looking perplexed by Adam Pearce asking if he liked the business, and screaming "I LOVE IT," were awesome.  He cares so much, and I hope he doesn't lose that enthusiasm when he gets wasted on the main roster.

Carmella once again comes off as the sweetest person on earth.  Too bad I have to break up with her after watching her call another man "baby" a bunch of times.  I have my dignity.  She just comes off as naturally endearing, which is hard as hell to do on a reality show.

Apollo Crews' personality is, I smile a lot and people like me.  He's going to have to bring something else out if he's going to reach his potential.  He just stands there and smiles.  I'd rather watch his sister make fun of his little drawls at this point. 

Who the fuck thinks calling yourself a Yeti is going to work?  Who thinks making Chewbacca noises is going to work?  Who the fuck thinks ignoring William Regal's advice is going to work?  Who thinks that telling a bunch of people you have to see every day that you make more money than them is going to work?  Josh, that's who.

• Like 1

I thought that was Val, but dismissed it thinking "No way they'd show her."  I'm sure somebody knew who she is, but still weird seeing that.  And the ref singing was hilarious.  Also got a kick out of Tyler and Dillinger looking at bats for no real reason, as well as a debate on what happened at the Alamo.

The bats thing is actually a big deal in Austin. 

I thought I saw Val as well Phil. I was also laughing at Breeze and Ty going under the bridge with the Mexican free tailed bats.

"Two Canadians Go Under A Bridge - you tell me how this story ends..."

It's clear that the editing is trying to make Corbin more of a heel than he is.

Like there was that scene where Josh and Crews were talking and Crews is talking about how if you have a past "some people resent you" and they immediately cut to a shot of Corbin being all surly as he was setting up the ring.

I also was amused at the passing line Crews said to his sister where he acknowledged that he was the biggest guy in Japan and now he is one of the smaller guys.

• Like 1

Who thinks making Chewbacca noises is going to work?  .

I, for one, popped when Sara Del Rey did it in the Coach's meeting. That being said, you could see they were playing it as Regal selling it as good at the end. I'd love to see an episode just from the coach aspect. Instead of the up and comers, concentrate on the non-WWE wrestler personnel like SDR, Sarita, Brookside, Smiley, and Pearce.

• Like 1

CTeblUyU8AA4cPe.png

DarrylB1979

‏@DarrylB1979
I wasn't the only one who saw @SoCalValerie on #BreakingGround last night was I? I didn't imagine it did I?

$oCalVal ‏@SoCalValerie  23h23 hours ago

$oCalVal Retweeted DarrylB1979
Nah. 'Twas I. I have been known to break ground...occasionally...