DVDVR Message Board

I'm not sure if this will be an hour long or not. The first episode was titled "Sneak Peak" and it ran about 30 minutes. So it's reminding me a lot of Hard Knocks on HBO.  Very well done.  The production is amazing as you'd imagine. We get to spend time with the coaches, Albert, Sara, Noman Smiley, etc..  They run down what the performance center is all about and how they feel about the talent. Fucking William Regal's PROMO CLASS.  The talent ranges from people we've never seen on TV just starting out to people like Crews and Bayley and Corbin who are selling out live events and waiting to get called up. 

It has a lot of potential.  It could be really great. 

• Like 1

Am I the only one who loved the fact that both Mojo Rawley and Baron Corbin seem to be the exact same people they play on TV?  Mojo seems like the type of person who has nothing to say, but says it any way.  Corbin is the type of person who has something to say, but what he has to say is none of your damn business.  Baron sitting there trying to eat in peace only for Mojo to come in and annoy him for no reason whatsoever was wildly entertaining to me.  Mojo does well in his promo, because he isn't cutting a promo, he's just talking like he'd normally talk.  That is not a criticism, it is kind of a gift.  Corbin seems to be finally getting it after 3 years of training.  I didn't realize he was around that long, because he looked really bad for the first few months of his run.  He's clearly turned a corner recently though, and I'm actually looking forward to see where he goes.

Nhooph's entire personality is she's 19.  She's clearly trying, and seems to want to geniunely be a wrestler, but she's a 19 year old who might be years away.

The former football player dude seems to be the guy who tries too hard.  Nothing he said or did felt like it was coming from him, it seemed like it was coming from his representative. 

Apollo Crews seems like he's going to be the guy from the Real World who is only in the house, because he has the ability to be around all of these crazy people and explain their behavior to the audience.  He's the dude who could sit there during a nuclear strike, smile and then tell you exactly how he feels about dying an awful death.  He seems to have no personality of his own, and that is going to be a problem for him at some part. 

Carmella tearing up, because she's happy for Baley was great.  Carmella has not been the best in the ring, but there is something endearing about her. 

I'm going to watch every single one of these, I can see it know.

I agree with you about Carmella there's something there with her. She's entertaining and someone you want to see do well. Corbin is getting there. It's interesting to see guys like Corbin and compare them to the dudes just coming in.  Corbin might not quite be ready for the main roster but he's levels above a guy like the ex-football player.

I agree with you about Carmella there's something there with her. She's entertaining and someone you want to see do well. Corbin is getting there. It's interesting to see guys like Corbin and compare them to the dudes just coming in.  Corbin might not quite be ready for the main roster but he's levels above a guy like the ex-football player.

He should be. He's been working shows for years while I believe they said the other guy was injured at his second show? Honestly, it's only in the past couple of months Corbin has shown much improvement.

Really good stuff. I'm glad it's going to be a full series, instead of just a one-off deal. I didn't realize Norman Smiley had a role within NXT, so it was nice to see him still contributing to the business. 

Corbin comes off as a legit asshole, which is kinda endearing, in a way. 

Smiley has been one of the original trainers back all the way to FCW.

I believe he just had his 10th anniversary with the company as a lot of the NXT folks were making a fuss on Twitter about it.

I was a little disappointed by the episode but it was also clear that this was done more as a "pilot" to sell the show.

Somehow I never realized what a wacky accent Albert has

Pretty good first episode. Devin is hot and I am not sure why WWE wanted her to become a wrestler? I don't want to go on my 'Everyone Doesn't Need to Wrestle in WWE' rant, but...EVERYONE DOESN'T NEED TO WRESTLE IN WWE. Surely she didn't just get hired for her looks right? The girl was wooden as an interviewer and couldn't cut it in the ring- how did she get a job with WWE? Actually, I don't want to know as I am sure the REAL story will just make everyone look bad.

Bayley, Mojo, and Corbin are all over with the NXT audience, to varying degrees (yes and we can discuss workrate [or lack thereof in Mojo's case] ), but they all connect with the crowd because their NXT character's are based off their real lives. It works. I would like to see more of this. New Day was going NO WHERE until they were allowed to be themselves and cut whacky backstage promos for WWE.com, etc.

I will definitely be checking out this series going forward.

Devin didn't seem all too good at backstage announcing and on this show Sara mentioned that Devin had missed significant time twice with injuries while she was training so it sucks but if she can't really do a backstage role and her body can't hold up to in-ring work, what do you do with her?

Am I the only one who loved the fact that both Mojo Rawley and Baron Corbin seem to be the exact same people they play on TV?  Mojo seems like the type of person who has nothing to say, but says it any way.  Corbin is the type of person who has something to say, but what he has to say is none of your damn business.  Baron sitting there trying to eat in peace only for Mojo to come in and annoy him for no reason whatsoever was wildly entertaining to me.  

I think the implication there was that everyone was working to put up the ring and get stuff sorted and Baron was sitting around eating and not helping.  Something about the way it was framed in the narration made me feel like this is what was being put forth.

I thought Tion Sabbatelli looked impressive, myself.  That leap was insane as was him coming off a concussion trying to do more before Albert put him in his place.  Nhooph was...really bad.  The way she ran back and forth across the ring looked like early Eva Marie, the difference being that Eva Marie was a model thrown into a ring with no/minimal training while Nhooph has supposedly been training for 3 years.

Does WWE put anyone under 21 on tv? I guess Jojo did a couple spots on Raw to hype Total Divas, but I don't think she went full-time as a ring announcer until she turned 21. I don't think it would matter if Nhooph was the second coming of Manami Toyota, she probably isn't traveling with them for another couple years.

I had no idea Sabby Piscatelli was training in WWE. He looked like he could be good (based on a very small, selected sample of footage, I know). Can't imagine the concussion is a good sign for him after already playing football for 10+ years, though.

I liked this a lot.  Regal was losing it with the tryouts not listening and shit. The promo class is always entertaining and some really heartwarming speeches tonight.

Poor Devin. But she handled it well. 

The new incoming class is going to be interesting, you have Asuka in the same room as Sara, Amanda and ZZ.  I hope the show isn't too ZZ focused though.  So far they are doing a good job of sharing screen time. Dana got a lot of time this week. 

The women's wrestling segment with Sarah Stock teaching Dana, Nia Jax, Carmella and Alexa Bliss was interesting too.

Poor Devin. But she handled it well. 

I love how they're trying to tease Dana Brooke getting fired/released.  Interesting that they jumped straight into Devin getting released then going backwards.  I guess they figure that everybody that watches this show will already know she's been let go, so dragging it out in "real time" is pointless.

Enjoyed the newest episode a lot. ZZ is clueless. Hopefully, this leads to Regal or Brookside stretching the hell out of him. Regal going off on the students for not knowing how to step up out of a roll was great, too. Although, I'm sure that's harder than it sounds. 

Not that I'm doing much tumbling anymore, (intentionally, anyway,) but with your CoG coming up like that, it takes control to not go with the upward momentum and hop like that.

Which is the point. Regal's trying to get them to control their movements rather than just flinging themselves around the ring.

Yeah, I mean...I thought it was funny, but at the same time, maybe instead of blowing a gasket and shouting STEP FORWARD WITH YOUR LEFT FOOT over and over again, somebody could've...you know...shown them how to do that with hands-on instruction. Like a coach, or something.

For a moment there, it kinda reminded me of that early season of Ultimate Fighter with Matt Hughes as one of the coaches, and his idea of instructing his guys on how to escape a submission was just shouting GET OUT! GET OUT! at them.

I am not sure why everyone is busting ZZ's chops. I can understand if he said he had 5 years experience, etc. but he is coming in green as grass so of course he is going to suck. He has a personality and can cut a better natural promo than Patrick and some of the other TE contestants that made it to the the PC. Hopefully it works out for him.

BG started off good with the first show, but now has dived (persumably) into the made-up WWE narrative with the whole Dana Brooke stuff. I hope ep 3 going-forward is more like episode-one and less bullshit cliff hangers like on Total Divas. You know the ones, the ones where The Bellas are pretending on whether they are going to decide to re-sign contracts or not (both knowing damn well last time they left WWE, Hollywood was NOT interested).

Yeah, I mean...I thought it was funny, but at the same time, maybe instead of blowing a gasket and shouting STEP FORWARD WITH YOUR LEFT FOOT over and over again, somebody could've...you know...shown them how to do that with hands-on instruction. Like a coach, or something.

What are they supposed to do, catch them as they're coming out of the roll? It's something you learn by doing.

I am not sure why everyone is busting ZZ's chops.

Seriously? No one's giving him shit for not being advanced in his training. They're giving him shit for dogging it, doing yoga and chatting with Mojo instead of busting his ass like everyone around him is doing, i.e. exactly what everyone gave him shit for on Tough Enough.