DVDVR Message Board

GENERAL NXT DISCUSSION THREAD

RIPPA

Just got back from NXT in Blackpool. It was actually my first ever WWE show (despite being a fan for 20 years) and it was a blast. Everyone worked hard and the crowd was great, a lot of funny chants without making it totally about themselves.

Enzo and Cass v Dawson and Dash opened up. Enzo and Cass were over huge. Enzo got a surprising amount of offense in before Dash and Dawson targeted his arm. They then focused on the leg of Cass when he tagged in. Nasty moment when Dash went to throw Enzo out of the ring but it looked like there was a mix up over which rope he was going through, and he bounced off the bottom rope neck first. Both the ref and Cass were pretty quick to check on him but he was fine.

Dawson and Dash won by knocking Cass off the apron and rolling up Enzo by pulling the tights. Enzo and Cass still leave to a big ovation after vowing to take the titles in London.

Bull Dempsey vs Tye Dillinger was our comedy match of the night (though there was funny stuff throughout). They've clearly been working this match a lot with each other. Lots of goofiness, Tye was getting loads of '10' chants (and getting irate at 'Bull is sexy' chants), but he put one hand up for a test of strength and then got a Big E style '5' chant instead. Cue losing of mind. Eventually the test of strength ends in double jumping jacks. Bull wins with his Thesz press off the top thing.

Alexa Bliss v Akusa was probably the most heatless match of the night. It was good stuff but I think everyone was just waiting for Asuka to smash her. Alexa controlled quite a bit of the match before getting rocked by a flurry of kicks and strikes and getting tapped out.

Jordan and Gable vs Blake and Murphy was probably match of the night. JJ & Gable were over HUGE. People were going nuts. As soon as BAM come out someone starts chanting Gable to the tune of 'No Limit', then a Jordan verse gets added in and it went on for about 15 minutes before they locked up. Jordan was loving it.

Blake starts off trying to put Gable in holds, then he just busts out all his swank matwork with a shrug and a massive shit eating grin. Funny spot where both Blake and Murphy go to kick Gable but he grabs their legs. He then gets them to grab each other's legs while they are waving at each other going "don't kick me". They eventually turn the tide on Gable but soon Jordan gets the tag, throws them both around like ragdolls, hits his big corner charges, then they do the double suplex for the win. Gable and Jordan both looked genuinely amazed by the reaction they got, it was like a massive party even as they were leaving.

We get an in-ring promo from Regal. He gets a 'One More Match' chant and replies "Oh, I don't have any. I think there's a bloke in the back with a lighter". A few minutes later about five dudes are chanting it at him and he says "It's ok when everyone does it, just zip it now. Honestly, two alcopops and that's it for some people" haha. He talks a bit about starting off wrestling in Blackpool, though he never wrestled in the Winter Gardens ("Did you know though, I did do security for Aswad here in 1989"). After that it's the standard talk putting over the NXT roster. No run in from Finlay that I had been fantasy booking for the last six months.

Carmella vs Nia Jax was largely the squash you would expect. Carmella is a good underdog face once the match is underway but her 'Queen of Staten Island' intro isn't likeable. She is so much more likeable on Breaking Ground, they need to find a way to get that into her in-ring persona. She gets in a few rallies but Jax crushes her in a few minutes.

Apollo Crews gets a big reaction as the last indy shows he did before NXT were for nearby Preston City Wrestling. Lots of 'Uhaa' related songs and chants. He's facing Samoa Joe who gets a big reaction. It was fine though largely pedestrian until Apollo cracks

Joe in the teeth with a jumping boot. Everything goes up a notch after that, Joe kicks out of the standing moonsault, and then hits the corner uranage and Muscle Buster for a pretty decisive win.

Bayley faces Emma in the Women's main event. Emma has Dana in her corner. People went nuts for Bayley. I thought the crowd might be a little too cool for school with her but they were crazy. She starts to come down the ramp but it seems like something is missing, she goes back up and YES we do have the giant inflatable dancing men. I think that was the biggest pop of the night. The match took a long time to get started, due to the crowd demanding that Emma and the ref get a hug from Bayley.The ref finally got one. Bayley also gets the 2Unlimited song. Pretty good match, they have good chemistry. Emma probably has the most hurty looking offense of the night. Dana was great on the outside, she eventually gets thrown out. Five guys next to us chant relentlessly for Emma all match long. Bayley gives them a thumbs up, Emma just glowers sarcastically at them haha. Bayley powers out of Emma's submission and hits a cross body and the Bayley2Belly.

Main event is Finn vs Corbin vs Zayn. Finn comes out second and there is no sign of another competitor before Zayn comes out to a huge response. Crowd loves Finn too, chants "anyone but Corbin" at Baron. He also got "You're just a shit Andy Carroll" which I am sure baffled him (Blake got "You're a shit Robbie Savage" earlier). Funny part where Sami ends up in the ring alone and decides to try on Finn's jacket to do all his poses. Finn comes back in and goes nuts. Later on he gets Sami's bomber jacket and flat cap and does a skank.

The match has a long segment of just Finn and Sami. Some lighting fast counters running the ropes. Sami hits a big blue thunder bomb for two. Sami hits his dive onto Finn and Corbin. They tease a tower of doom spot but Sami reverses it by suplexing Corbin into the corner, crotching Finn on the top rope in the process. Corbin hits a huge Bossman Slam on Sami but Finn stomps him from the top while he is covering him. Finn gets the pin on Corbin. Good stuff.

Sami gets the mic and says it's been driving him mad being injured, watching what he built go to the next level. He puts over Finn as someone who has surpassed him, as he's the champ now. They call out Robbie Brookside who talks a bit about his history wrestling in Blackpool, then puts over the whole NXT locker room (and HHH) and that's our lot. Robbie also gets the 2Unlimited song and Finn and Sami dance. Loads of fun.

Really looking forward to Takeover London. I will definitely go to the next NXT tour over here too. My video of Jordan and Gable are 2Unlimited: https://www.instagram.com/p/_Pt5u6rSQD5vPs6XFTxlsxCd4g6QdrUC7q9eg0/

Edit: the link works now, doh

• Like 1

Hmmm... Stage AE in Pittsburgh announced today that NXT was returning on 1/29 but WWE's site has an NXT House Show in Largo, FL listed that day...

Perhaps they are forgoing Florida for another Pittsburgh/Cleveland/Columbus weekend swing?

EDIT: Green Bay, Milwaukee, Chicago, Detroit and Pittsburgh all in January.

FUCK YEAH! Tickets for NXT in Chicago go on sale Friday.

Weirdly enough, I've never been to any concerts at the Portage theater before. Has any of the DVDVR Chicago folks been there for anything? Seems like an odd setup for wrestling.

Really wish they had a show closer to Maryland (Philly would be a great option)  But I'm hoping later next year they'll have more cities to go to.

And Library Dude, you and the other folks who went to that show deserve a billion gold stars.  The chants for Jordan/Gable and Bayley were tremendous.

As much as I want to gripe about this airing at 3 EST, I don't see the sense in that.  People in the UK have to watch wrestling live in weird times all the time.  So sure, no complaints here.  Now I do wish it aired Saturday instead of Wednesday, but again, UK puts up with seeing Raw late at night.

The only thing I'm hoping for is nothing insane goes on at work for two hours.  That's all I ask.  But yeah, really hyped for the show.

Mainly to avoid spoilers.  For Beast in the East I woke up and turned on wifi on the phone.  Right away WWE spoiled the result of Finn/Owens.  So pissed off about that one.  And besides, when it's slow as anything at work it's a good way to kill time.