DVDVR Message Board

GENERAL NXT DISCUSSION THREAD

RIPPA

So, it's not quite the end of the year yet, but I'll throw this question out there anyway: Which NXT worker do you think has improved the most over the year?

I have especially enjoyed watching Baron Corbin and Dana Brooke improve, but I'd have to give it to Corbin, who I think is maybe one or two more matches away from me being able to call him a good worker. The Dusty Rhodes TTC really helped him out, I think, even moreso than his singles matches with Rhyno and Joe because from that point on, he's been good in everything he's done since then on television and I've read reports that he's been very good on house shows. 

I also would say Finn Bálor is also hugely improved. He's much better with his selling and with using his facial expressions and body language to garner sympathy for himself leading up to his comeback. 

I think Bayley is right there with Sasha as the best all around female in the company she's definitely improved. I think it's harder to go from good to great than it is from bad to ok. Turning heel helped Corbin immensely as did getting to do more than 20 second squash matches. His work with the smaller guys and how he keeps up with them athletically has been really impressive.

Balor turned the corner for me in the title match from Japan. He showed the aggressiveness that was lacking from his earlier NXT work, and has pretty much kept it up since. Sasha probably got better every month from January-August, and was the ace of NXT before going to the main roster. I guess I'll go with Bayley she's pretty much the top act in the company with only Balor being a real threat to that claim.

Sasha is a good choice, but she was really good coming into this year. I was singing her praises back in the BFF days because she was showing attention to things like her in-ring persona and vicious body part work back then. I see where you're coming from though.

Bayley is hard for me to judge in terms of how she's improved. I think she's a good worker, but really what makes her special is her charisma, and that's something that she's had on display forever, even in those early days where she was essentially acting like an eight-year-old in an adult woman's body. I don't think she's so much better as a worker now than she was at the end of 2014, though. 

What if...

... might fit Sandow better thou.

Reminds me of my idea for a Hogan WWE Network show wher they basically digitally insert him in to matches he has nothing to do with so he can change the outcomes. His version of Al would be Eric Bischoff, who no one could see but thr Hulkster. The "Leap Home" would result in him ending up on the first episode of "Hogan Knows Best"!

James

Bayley is hard for me to judge in terms of how she's improved. I think she's a good worker, but really what makes her special is her charisma, and that's something that she's had on display forever, even in those early days where she was essentially acting like an eight-year-old in an adult woman's body. I don't think she's so much better as a worker now than she was at the end of 2014, though. 

Bayley's improved in her mic skills and overall confidence.  She just looks more comfortable out there. 

Went to the final NXT house show in Orlando for 2015 tonight. Not a lot stuff happened. Rich Swann had a fun opener and even did that standing jumping 450 he usually does. Main event was fun with some new blood getting a shot like Riddick Moss. He hasn't debuted yet but he has improved a lot since he first started on house shows.

Big news of the night was the debut of 2 Tough Enough competitors. Josh did a god awful promo challenging anyone and how he has 250,000 reasons to be the best. His new name is Bronson Matthews. Daria had her first match vs Nia Jax. Daria was doing a promo but Nia just walked out and challenged her. Daria got off a triangle on Nia which looked nice. I think she's the first one out of the Tough Enough people signed that has had a match on the NXT roster.

So, it's not quite the end of the year yet, but I'll throw this question out there anyway: Which NXT worker do you think has improved the most over the year?

I have especially enjoyed watching Baron Corbin and Dana Brooke improve, but I'd have to give it to Corbin, who I think is maybe one or two more matches away from me being able to call him a good worker. The Dusty Rhodes TTC really helped him out, I think, even moreso than his singles matches with Rhyno and Joe because from that point on, he's been good in everything he's done since then on television and I've read reports that he's been very good on house shows. 

I also would say Finn Bálor is also hugely improved. He's much better with his selling and with using his facial expressions and body language to garner sympathy for himself leading up to his comeback. 

The honor kind of has to go to Jason Jordan.

Everyone else were improving from 'amazing' to 'more amazing'. Even Dana Brooke went from 'green, bad worker' to 'good heel and okay worker.'

Jordan managed to go from a random jobber who was nothing to write home about to half of one of the best tag teams in NXT within the year.

So, it's not quite the end of the year yet, but I'll throw this question out there anyway: Which NXT worker do you think has improved the most over the year.

This is an easy one for me: Jason Jordan. He wasn't "bad" at the start of the year, but I didn't much care about him. Now he's one of my favorite acts.

EDIT: GODDAMMIT

Big news of the night was the debut of 2 Tough Enough competitors. Josh did a god awful promo challenging anyone and how he has 250,000 reasons to be the best. His new name is Bronson Matthews. Daria had her first match vs Nia Jax. Daria was doing a promo but Nia just walked out and challenged her. Daria got off a triangle on Nia which looked nice. I think she's the first one out of the Tough Enough people signed that has had a match on the NXT roster.

I'm assuming Josh wasn't still doing the Yeti gimmick?

I'm assuming Josh wasn't still doing the Yeti gimmick?

Well since he was doing the Yeti thing before he started working there, they had to change it to the Wendigo.

• Like 5

Did anyone really get worse on NXT this year? It's such a well-booked promotion with so much talent, I don't think anyone can help but get better (even guys and girls that were already great). The worst I can think of are completely stagnant guys like Blake, Murphy, and Crowe, but even then, you could reasonably argue they actually maintained or improved slightly over the year, just not enough to matter or avoid getting passed by new arrivals.

I think by the literal definition of "most improved" it has to be Chad Gable. At the start of the year, he was a jobber that looked like an indy-ripoff Kurt Angle. Now he's one of the most over guys, routinely has solid matches, and is making people around him better by proxy. Dash and Dawson would be sleeper candidates too.

I thought Finn was good when he came in and has become great. I knew Corbin had "it" from day one and it was just a matter of letting him get some quality ring time instead of twenty-second squashes. That said, I'm going with Jordan and Gable, who went from okay, but nothing special jobbers to bonafide stars. These guys are a joy to watch from promo to ring work. The sky is the limit for these guys.

Corey Graves has really started to come into his own as a commentator over the past few weeks.  His start and trying to figure out where he was going with his announcing gimmick was a bit rocky at first but he's really starting to get into the color role.

Corey Graves has really started to come into his own as a commentator over the past few weeks.  His start and trying to figure out where he was going with his announcing gimmick was a bit rocky at first but he's really starting to get into the color role.

Can't wait for NXT Kids to start up since Corey was excellent in that pilot episode.

• Like 1