DVDVR Message Board

Smackdown Spoilers for 9/17/15

victor

I think the only flaw even at the macro level is there's no real purpose for Becky. I almost feel like Nattie should have been in Becky's spot.

Yeah, Becky's just sorta there right now. She's done good apron/second work. I like her mat slapping. There's also no real reason for Alicia Fox.

The only unit that is 100% golden with all three in their roles is Team BAD. But I think that's because Tamina is great muscle and plays that well. She's the best of the "third" character in each stable.

I think they can establish Becky very easily via the Paige/Sasha B-feud. Becky beats Sasha in one try after Paige has failed multiple weeks in a row, then between that and Charlotte winning the title, Paige can turn on both of them out of jealousy.

What, after the Dusty finish? Oh then bravo, WWE creative team! *golf clap*

I know you're being facetious, but WTF is wrong with a Dusty finish? It stinks when it's used all the time. But I don't remember the last time they actually used one.

And golf club for getting the intended reaction from a creative decision.

Why, yes, I would like to use a golf club on creative for their decision.  

• Like 1

Instead we've got what we got, which was the Bellatron and "last night's loss (didn't) matter".

I don't mean to have a go at you here, specifically, Cristobal, but I've seen this talking point a lot lately with people complaining that Nikki said wins and losses don't matter because she's the champ and how awful it is, but isn't it basically wrestling heel 101.  Heels have been bragging for years after losses that "your win didn't matter because you didn't get the job done" (in reference to not taking the title).  Like, I've seen heels for years say stuff like "You may have won last night, but you can't win the big one", "Your wins don't matter because I'm the champ" etc. etc. So, why is Nikki, specifically, being singled out for something that heels have been doing for many years?!

Was going to post what JT just posted, so holding off to avoid getting ninja'd.

But it is really petty of WWE to do this considering she had nothing to do with the walkout or lawsuit.  She's just guilty by association (unless she said something but haven't seen it)  And it's tougher to get over it if you are/were an AJ fan.

The problem is WWE has done a shitty job taking that heat and putting it on NIKKI. If they're gonna keep dropping AJ's name like they have, they might as well have put it into the mix, with Paige fighting for her friend's record, and Charlotte saying Nikki doesn't deserve to be champ.

Instead we've got what we got, which was the Bellatron and "last night's loss (didn't) matter".

Did you actually watch Raw? There was plenty of heat on Nikki. PLENTY.

I know you're being facetious, but WTF is wrong with a Dusty finish? It stinks when it's used all the time. But I don't remember the last time they actually used one.

And golf club for getting the intended reaction from a creative decision.

There is nothing wrong with a "Dusty Finish" when done right. This was not done right, it was pure laziness. They did the exact same finish with Paige a few shows back. 

It does not really matter if Charlotte wins on Sunday, because all Nikki cared about was breaking that stupid record. Really both her and AJ's record are like Gillberg having the longest Light Heavyweight title reign. They only kept it as long as they did, because the company does not care about the belt.

All that finish did was put heat on was the company, for booking such a finish. They might as well of had Alicia use twin magic, as little Brie and Nikki look like each other now.

• Like 1

I don't care about Nikki having the record for AJ's sake because Nikki will NEVER have the legacy that AJ made. I care about it for Charlotte's. Because even if she wins on Sunday now, it's gonna mean a hell of a lot less.

What legacy AJ made?  Kayfabe wise, she was a God amonst Insects that made it clear she had no competition, The new girl from Developmental was her equal off the bat,  then quit soon as the division started catching up to her.  

Shoot wise, she was a geek girl that had skill beyond the supermodel mold that WWE had as little as 3 years ago, her skill above the rest of the division created an illusion that she was better than she was, which became clear with Paige came up, and the NXT Girls were smoking her work wise.  Then she married the wrong full of himself asshole and torpedoed her WWE career.  

I liked AJ, but her "legacy" is overrated.  Hell, I think she gets too much credit for the groundwork for the current Diva's state, since without the NXT Girls cranking out high quality shit in Florida that created the buzz, AJ is still gone once her hubby went scorched earth and we're back to 5 years ago.

• Like 1

AJ was the right woman at the right time.  She didn't look like the other women, she didn't present herself like them.  She could cut a decent promo when the others stumbled, she had the geek factor. She was different and had command of her character that took it beyond the 'chicks be crazy' motif WWE often goes with.  She was fine in the ring.  No one would ever mistake her for Becky or Sasha, but she didn't stink it up either.

She would have been fine long-term, transitioned into a GM role for Smackdown maybe, until she got married.

• Like 2

AJ was a really great performer. She was the best thing on Raw at various points of her career. I don't think Daniel Bryan would have started to get over unless they did their abusive boyfriend angle. She stole the show that summer in her whole love triangle with DB, CM Punk and Kane. She wasn't just the best actress of the Divas division -- she was possibly the most talented actor out of everyone on the show.

Her size limited her in the ring. She made do with what she could. She was good at selling and facial expressions and playing to the back of the arena. And she was good enough at using clever spots (her knee, her finisher). She made the most of what she had, but she was still limited.

Even her last feud with Paige had a lot of good stuff. I really loved when Paige tossed her ass off the ring ramp and was screaming "BE CAREFUL WITH MY FRIEND!" She also was fun for her brief stint in NXT and gave a great look to the camera when Bayley hugged her.

She had a very good career. I think what she brought to the game really influenced how woman's wrestling slowly started progressing. It's not too hard to think that HHH/Steph/whoever saw AJ compared to the other women and told them to start taking this more seriously. You can really probably use the Pipe Bombshell as a demarcation line and see some improvements from Nikki and Naomi.

I also think you could see some people realize that women's wrestling could actually be more than just awful via AJ and use what they had in NXT to really up the game.

AJ was great. And they put her over-as-hell when she left with the Thank You AJ hashtag. Not sure why people are obsessed with how she's being buried or whatevs with Nikki breaking her record, because they really did the opposite when she left.

I don't care about Nikki having the record for AJ's sake because Nikki will NEVER have the legacy that AJ made. I care about it for Charlotte's. Because even if she wins on Sunday now, it's gonna mean a hell of a lot less.

What legacy AJ made?  Kayfabe wise, she was a God amonst Insects that made it clear she had no competition, The new girl from Developmental was her equal off the bat,  then quit soon as the division started catching up to her.  

Shoot wise, she was a geek girl that had skill beyond the supermodel mold that WWE had as little as 3 years ago, her skill above the rest of the division created an illusion that she was better than she was, which became clear with Paige came up, and the NXT Girls were smoking her work wise.  Then she married the wrong full of himself asshole and torpedoed her WWE career.  

I liked AJ, but her "legacy" is overrated.  Hell, I think she gets too much credit for the groundwork for the current Diva's state, since without the NXT Girls cranking out high quality shit in Florida that created the buzz, AJ is still gone once her hubby went scorched earth and we're back to 5 years ago.

So, how much exactly do you hate CM Punk?

• Like 1

AJ was a decent performer who benefited greatly from the WWE's insistence on only focusing on one woman as a main attraction at a time. If they had invested the time in other divas as they did in her, I'm sure there would have been other women who got over too. Just look at Naomi. Decent in the ring and we have now discovered that she's a good talker too, something we never would have known when she was relegated to dancing Funkadactyl #1. Hell, Nikki has more than come into her own herself these last few months. 

• Like 1

Was going to post what JT just posted, so holding off to avoid getting ninja'd.

But it is really petty of WWE to do this considering she had nothing to do with the walkout or lawsuit.  She's just guilty by association (unless she said something but haven't seen it)  And it's tougher to get over it if you are/were an AJ fan.

The problem is WWE has done a shitty job taking that heat and putting it on NIKKI. If they're gonna keep dropping AJ's name like they have, they might as well have put it into the mix, with Paige fighting for her friend's record, and Charlotte saying Nikki doesn't deserve to be champ.

Did you actually watch Raw? There was plenty of heat on Nikki. PLENTY.

Other then when they did a variation on this very Dusty Finish to set up the entire "Divas Revolution" thing, or when fucking Summerslam ended with one about a month ago?