DVDVR Message Board

SEPT 2015 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

RIPPA

I don't know how all-inclusive the search was, but cagematch is listing Flair and Funk's first match being in 1981 and their last being in 2000.  Did they ever have a match in WWE (or nu-ECW) later than that?

Sadly no. Terry didn't join up with Nu-ECW after the relaunch. Crazy Oldman Flair vs. Funk would have been an amazing match especially if they went with Ric Flair: ECW World Champion. I mean if Vince was ECW Champion...why not Flair. Would have been worth it for the Shane Douglas meltdown on Myspace at the time.

DICK FLAIR DICK FLAIR DICK FLAIR

DICK DICK DICK DICK.

Given those crazy WWE style garbage matches Flair had with Big Show at the time, I can only imagine what such a match against Funk would have been like.

• Like 1

Kind of doubt they ever wanted Colt back.

They gave him a try out both as a wrestler after the pipe bomb promo and an announcer at NXT and nothing came it.

Right, and like you said, nothing came of it.

I'm kind of laughing about Punk's hubris possibly writing him a cheque that'll hurt to cash. WWE has to be loving this, whether it was their idea or not.

What do you mean? It reads like you're saying that WWE will wind up having to pay Punk as the outcome of this, which isn't how this would work.

Sting & Ric Flair First fought each other at a boxing day event in 1987, and last faced each other on the September 12th, 2011 episode of Impact, so that's 23 years, 8 months, 17 days.

Terry Funk & Jerry Lawler last fought on 10/01/2011, but FIRST fought on March 23, 1981! An astounding 30 years, 6 months, and 9 days!

I've got Pro Wrestling History showing me the first Jerry Lawler vs. Bill Dundee match as being on December 1st, 1975, and Cagematch showing their last match against each other being January 29th, 2011.

35 years, 1 month, 28 days.

• Like 1

Not counting Jerry Lawler, Bobo Brazil and The Sheik's feud went from 1967 (possibly earlier but that's when the Detroit US title feud started) to at least one indy show in the early 90's.  So that's 23-24 years.

And aren't the Rock n Rolls and Midnights still feuding on the indies?  That would be 31 years.

Kind of doubt they ever wanted Colt back.

They gave him a try out both as a wrestler after the pipe bomb promo and an announcer at NXT and nothing came it.

Right, and like you said, nothing came of it.

I'm kind of laughing about Punk's hubris possibly writing him a cheque that'll hurt to cash. WWE has to be loving this, whether it was their idea or not.

What do you mean? It reads like you're saying that WWE will wind up having to pay Punk as the outcome of this, which isn't how this would work.

Think of the expression 'mouth writing him a cheque he can't cash'. Now substitute mouth for hubris and acknowledge that he can cash it but it'll clear out his self professed cushion.

ESPN.com just linked to this on its front page

There is a look that Sting gives Cena at some point that is kinda "Holy shit - this guy is really fucking good at this" that makes me smile

• Like 11

Cena may not be the greatest wrestler ever but he's a goddamn fine human being, and which matters more?

This is a real problem with our business. Some of the best wrestlers are pretty terrible people.
Exhibit A: Chris Benoit

I wonder what we see more, people of low moral fiber going into a shitty business or the business taking semi-well adjusted people and turning them into shitbags.

In a lot of fields, it takes a certain type of personality to rise to the top. Look at executives, actors, singers, writers. Especially in a field as physically and psychologically demanding as professional wrestling, the traits that make you excel can also make you bad in a general social environment.

It's similar to why Kurt Angle is the type of person he is. To become an Olympic-level athlete, and a gold medalist at that, requires an almost-obsessive drive. He's simply transferred that drive from Olympic wrestling to professional wrestling. And as hard as it's probably been on him, I can't help but wonder if he's better off having pro wrestling as an outlet rather than trying to put all that drive and determination into, say, selling auto insurance.