DVDVR Message Board

SEPT 2015 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

RIPPA

What's the beef with writers I'd like to know?  I am a constant source of sweetness and light and as your champion of fair play,  beloved everywhere I go... Anyone disputing this is cordially invited to fuck themselves with a chainsaw.

Seriously, the better someone is at one thing, the chances are high that they are pretty mediocre at everything else. Rogers Hornsby was the greatest right-handed hitter that baseball has ever or will ever see and a total jerk as a human being. He wouldn't read anything but the Racing Form and refused to go to movies as it might effect his hitting eye. That's what we call obsessive. A late friend of mine who wanted to be (and was) an excellent writer hardly left the office unless it was to go to a convention to hobnob with other writers. Dude didn't own a tv, listened to radio as background noise and wrote like a sonofabitch. He was pretty prolific without being hugely successful. Obsessed? Every bit of it. Worth it? It was to him and it's not to me. That's why I have one short-story collection after thirty years in the business. I have other things I like to do. Over 100 books edited? Yeah, okay maybe a little obsessive...

In a lot of fields, it takes a certain type of personality to rise to the top. Look at executives, actors, singers, writers. Especially in a field as physically and psychologically demanding as professional wrestling, the traits that make you excel can also make you bad in a general social environment.

It's similar to why Kurt Angle is the type of person he is. To become an Olympic-level athlete, and a gold medalist at that, requires an almost-obsessive drive. He's simply transferred that drive from Olympic wrestling to professional wrestling. And as hard as it's probably been on him, I can't help but wonder if he's better off having pro wrestling as an outlet rather than trying to put all that drive and determination into, say, selling auto insurance.

• Like 1

Imagine Roadblock shot on Hogan and it became a national news story. Blockamania brother.

"Hey Duke, man keeps talkin' 'bout pythons for arms. I think he's fallen for Cobra and Destro's charms."

• Like 12

The question is what 3 other Joes get sent on that mission?

I say Shipwreck (because he was on every other episode)

Quick Kick (see reason for Shipwreck)

Sgt. Slaughter 

and special guest star... RANDY SAVAGE Code Name: Madness!

James

Like most, I'm a sucker for those click-bait articles that detail "former creative team member reveals original details on gimmick/feud/original plan for [insert underused guy" or the articles that discuss "stupid idea that Vince or Kevin Dunn insisted on."

Quick question, though: has any of these people ever detailed like an idea that wasn't genius on their part? It's pretty amazing that wrestling companies have made a concerted effort to fire every writer with exclusively good ideas.

What was the Cyborg Zombie Nazi idea again that stunned Vince into silence?
Was that the deal where someone supposedly proposed giving someone a cryogenically frozen/defrosted Nazi gimmick - with a Jewish manager (Paul Heyman, irrc)?

The sad part was it might have made it to TV if they'd suggested the Nazi have a three foot penis.

Wasn't the cryogenically frozen Nazi idea the plan for Heidenreich?

and Kenzo Suzuki was supposed to be Hirohito, a decendant of Emperor Hirohito

I would love to know whose ideas those were because they both sound like something Russo would come up with and be mocked endlessly for.

I don't remember if a writer ever took credit for it, but I think Paul Heyman was the one who first told the story, using it as an example of the kind of outside the box thinking the the current TV lacks (in whatever year that was).

I know someone dropped who it was specifically and I swear it was an older guy who had some legit credits to his name.

Lifeline was the punk bitch pacifist.  Doc fought Cobra with snowballs once because the Geneva Convention didn't allow him the use of firearms.

I have almost no desire to ever see the Jeff Katz stuff, but the one aspect of it I was curious about was how he handled an openly gay gimmick, and how that character was "outted" to the audience. I know the audience was studio so it probably was not really representative of how a wrestling audience would react, but from a narrative perspective it would be interesting to see what they settled on. Wasn't Joey Ryan the character in question? Does anyone else remember this?

http://youtu.be/0YhWKApgJ_I

• Like 1

I know someone dropped who it was specifically and I swear it was an older guy who had some legit credits to his name.

Are you thinking of Larry Mollin?  He was a guy in his 50s or 60s who wrote for the WWE after spending years working on shows like 90210 and CHiPS.  He came up with such incredible gems as giving Matt Morgan a stuttering gimmick and proudly admitting to being the one who came up with the Jillian Hall "mole" gimmick.

What's the best non-Royal Rumble battle royal people here have ever seen?

I recall a really good battle royal for the World Heavyweight title on Smackdown in early 2006. Kurt Angle and Mark Henry were the last two in if I recall and Angle wins the title.

EDIT: Here's the end: http://www.wwe.com/videos/kurt-angle-wins-20-man-battle-royal-smackdown-january-13-2006-26006229

• Like 1

I was always a fan of those random battle royal's that were on Coliseum videos, mainly because there was seldom an obvious winner.  Of course I haven't watched any of these since the early 90s, but I remember one where Bob Backlund won by eliminating the 1-2-3 Kid.

The ARMBaR from last year's Wrestlemania was really good, and so was the one at 30.

They were both better-booked than either Royal Rumble from those years, anyway.

Also the King Of The Hill from Bash 89 where the Skyscrapers were like "Fuck it, we're splitting the money and not fighting each other."

What's the best non-Royal Rumble battle royal people here have ever seen?

I recall a really good battle royal for the World Heavyweight title on Smackdown in early 2006. Kurt Angle and Mark Henry were the last two in if I recall and Angle wins the title.

This was my immediate thought. Henry controlled the whole thing brilliantly. Just a great match.

The ones that I've come up with are the WCW Cruiserweight Battle Royal, the WM 30 Andre The Giant Memorial, the two-ring battle royal at GAB '89 and BattleBowl '93 with Vader, Austin, Sting and Flair featured heavily.

The cruiserweight battle royal was great for Jericho's ring introductions. I think I'm gonna go look it up on youtube and enjoy how great Jericho was.

Back when Andre the Giant was in shape (Pre-WWF), that used to be his thing, a battle royal with all hands trying to throw him out and one by one or sometimes two or three at a time getting tossed out until Andre was the last man standing. Those were always fun, you'd have most of the main guys in a territory participating and no one came out looking weak because, hey the guy's a giant, right?

You would also have the interesting dynamic of the local faces and heels who would beat the crap out of each other on a weekly basis acting in concert to try and topple the Giant.