DVDVR Message Board

NFL Stupidity in 2015

Dolfan in NYC

But but but I thought the Niners GM said that the goal is to win the Super Bowl each year.

That better be the goal of every GM

Well, yes, but in this instance, it was said in regard to why they parted ways with Harbaugh and if it was over the most recent season. The GM basically said that Harbaugh didn't reach their goal of winning the Super Bowl each year.

But but but I thought the Niners GM said that the goal is to win the Super Bowl each year.

No, he actually said "I think this team is good enough to win the Armed Forces bowl". 

Except for the natural advantages with age and weight and the like, I'm not sure the 49ers could win that. . . .

Harbaugh is an obnoxious lunatic.  It's easy to keep an obnoxious lunatic around when he's winning but as soon as you collapse the way the Niners did last season, it's time to go.

Said collapse seems at least partially attributable to the front office making it clear (to the players if not to the audience) that Harbaugh was a lame duck and would not be retained past 2014.  Remember there was attempt to trade him to Cleveland for draft picks after 2013 that Jed York tried to play off as a silly and unfounded rumor/false report. 

While I have no doubt that the aspects of Jim Harbaugh's personality that make him a highly successful football coach also make him personally unpleasant to deal with on a day to day basis, part of being professional is learning to coexist with people you don't personally like when its profitable to do so.  Sure, get rid of him when the results no longer warrant putting up with his attitude, but that's not what happened here.  They didn't start trying to get rid of him after 8-8 [which by the way STILL constitutes him leaving the team in better shape than he found it]; they started trying to get rid of him -- and showing that they didn't want him back -- after 3 straight NFC championship game appearances.

Or, if you'll indulge the tinfoil theory I've been insinuating :), after they were safely moved out of Candlestick and their shiny new corporate cathedral was built.

The rash of sudden retirements makes a lot of sense to me.  Given how dangerous (albeit lucrative) playing professional football is, why would any of these guys trust this organization enough to put their brains on the line for it?  It's the guys who are staying on that confuse me.

• Like 2

Hmm.

Richie Incognito criticizes Fidel Goodell.

Hard to pick a side here.

Well just because Incognito is an asshole(and he is a HUGE one), doesn't mean he's wrong about Goodell. Great company Brady finds himself in. . . . 

• Like 1

Hmm.

Richie Incognito criticizes Fidel Goodell.

Hard to pick a side here.

Well just because Incognito is an asshole(and he is a HUGE one), doesn't mean he's wrong about Goodell. Great company Brady finds himself in. . . .
Speaking of which, Jim Turner, the Dolphins coach canned in the wake of the bullying scandal, is suing Ted Wells and his firm for defamation.
  • Like 1

254 arrests.  260 weeks.  Minimum 1664 players, even though there are clearly more.  That isn't much of a crime rate, espeicially since we know that some of these dudes have been arrested multiple times.  The thing that I'm most surprised by is that Minnesota and Denver were the most arrested.  Other than Adrian Peterson, I can't remember a single arrest on either of those teams. 

254 arrests.  260 weeks.  Minimum 1664 players, even though there are clearly more.  That isn't much of a crime rate, espeicially since we know that some of these dudes have been arrested multiple times.  The thing that I'm most surprised by is that Minnesota and Denver were the most arrested.  Other than Adrian Peterson, I can't remember a single arrest on either of those teams. 

As PFT pointed out

Kenny Britt himself would be 20th on the list, and Aldon Smith and Ray McDonald alone would be tied for 23rd

What percentage of it is for stupid shit like possession of weed and what is for worse stuff like DUI's and domestic violence, attempted murder, etc.? Remember, in Wisconsin first time offense DUI is a traffic fine. Woo! It's not even a misdemeanor.

Sadly, the Packers are only average cheaters. The Broncos and Jets have an astonishing amount while the Cardigans and the Hogwars haven't done much.