DVDVR Message Board

NFL Stupidity in 2015

Dolfan in NYC

I would think the fact he didn't even work there at the time would be more of a red flag and that he has no evidence whatsoever, but I'll let you "GUILTY NO MATTER WHAT" people have your fun :) Please don't become judges.

To answer your question, he looks like someone scared shitless, like someone that said something to sound impressive to a person and now he is a national story. He knows he could be sued out the ass if he doesn't have proof, which I am imaging he doesn't since none has been shown yet.

Who's pushing "GUILTY NO MATTER WHAT"?

People are perfectly fine with "GUILTY NO MATTER WHAT" when it applies to a vastly superior QB playing in New England. Since when do people give a shit about what actually happened?

• Like 2

I have mixed feelings about Manziel. On one hand, he is over 21 and not in any legal trouble (probation, etc.). Why can't he have a drink on his day off like millions of other Americans do?

On the other hand, if my employer paid me millions of dollars and said "hey, don't make a public display of drinking and acting silly" I'd probably try really really hard not to do those things.

I'm not a Manziel or Browns fan, but I can see both sides of the argument.

• Like 1

I have mixed feelings about Manziel. On one hand, he is over 21 and not in any legal trouble (probation, etc.). Why can't he have a drink on his day off like millions of other Americans do?

On the other hand, if my employer paid me millions of dollars and said "hey, don't make a public display of drinking and acting silly" I'd probably try really really hard not to do those things.

The issue is not that he had a drink, the issue is that they believe he has a drinking problem.  He went to rehab for something, and he hasn't behaved like someone who took his rehabilitation seriously.  This isn't about someone not being able to have a drink, this is about whether or not that person is capable of having a drink responsibly.  They do not believe he can, and he knows they don't believe he can control his drinking.  Somehow he not only keeps drinking, but he keeps drinking in places where he can be filmed drinking.  If he was just having a glass of wine at dinner or toasting at a wedding, I don't think they'd care, but he is drinking in places with people who don't even respect him enough not to film him and put it on the internet.  I'm not famous, but when was the last time you drank with someone who would film you and put it on the internet if they knew it could cost you your job?  Either he's drinking with complete strangers or with people who don't have his best intrests in mind.  His judgement seems a little worse than questionable, and that is the problem. How can you put your team in the hands of somoene who could end up in rehab when you need him the most?  The problem is that a quarterback is too integral to the success, or lack thereof, to risk the future on your team on someone who may be an alcoholic. 

The issue is not that he had a drink, the issue is that they believe he has a drinking problem.  He went to rehab for something, and he hasn't behaved like someone who took his rehabilitation seriously.  This isn't about someone not being able to have a drink, this is about whether or not that person is capable of having a drink responsibly.  They do not believe he can, and he knows they don't believe he can control his drinking.  Somehow he not only keeps drinking, but he keeps drinking in places where he can be filmed drinking.  If he was just having a glass of wine at dinner or toasting at a wedding, I don't think they'd care, but he is drinking in places with people who don't even respect him enough not to film him and put it on the internet.  I'm not famous, but when was the last time you drank with someone who would film you and put it on the internet if they knew it could cost you your job?  Either he's drinking with complete strangers or with people who don't have his best intrests in mind.  His judgement seems a little worse than questionable, and that is the problem. How can you put your team in the hands of somoene who could end up in rehab when you need him the most?  The problem is that a quarterback is too integral to the success, or lack thereof, to risk the future on your team on someone who may be an alcoholic. 

I don't necessarily disagree with all that, he has an issue for sure. But there are probably 100 other sports players in those clubs too, we see it in the NBA, MLB, etc. Even if you don't compare him to someone like me, but even compared to other athletes he gets a lot of scrutiny. I do think he has an alcohol problem and needs help. I just don't see where he is doing more than other sports athletes, and it doesn't appear to be impacting his game which would be totally different.

I don't mind them benching him, they have that right, I just don't know what the endgame is. He has the popularity and talent that another NFL team would sign him if the Browns cut him, and he hasn't done anything illegal like 12% (made up number) of the players playing in the league have but are still starting. It seems like you said, like a preemptive benching in case he does do something illegal which is unusual on the professional level. Has any other active player ever been benched just for having a drinking problem with no crimes? There are players with DUIs on their record currently starting in the NFL.

I don't necessarily disagree with all that, he has an issue for sure. But there are probably 100 other sports players in those clubs too, we see it in the NBA, MLB, etc. Even if you don't compare him to someone like me, but even compared to other athletes he gets a lot of scrutiny. I do think he has an alcohol problem and needs help. I just don't see where he is doing more than other sports athletes, and it doesn't appear to be impacting his game which would be totally different.

I don't mind them benching him, they have that right, I just don't know what the endgame is. He has the popularity and talent that another NFL team would sign him if the Browns cut him, and he hasn't done anything illegal like 12% (made up number) of the players playing in the league have but are still starting. It seems like you said, like a preemptive benching in case he does do something illegal which is unusual on the professional level. Has any other active player ever been benched just for having a drinking problem with no crimes? There are players with DUIs on their record currently starting in the NFL.

Your point is valid, but you also have to take into consideration that they have much more information about his behavior than we do.  The team didn't do this with Josh, I may never play again, because I like smoking weed, Gordon with his ILLEGAL drug habit.  The coach went on record a few weeks ago saying that they'd welcome him back with open arms if he's reinstated.  They are doing this with Manziel's completely legal alcohol habit.  There has to be a reason that they take one much more seriously than the other.  I don't know why they care so much about Johnny's drinking, but they clearly care a whole hell of a lot.  I don't think that happens in a vacuum. 

• Like 1

Your point is valid, but you also have to take into consideration that they have much more information about his behavior than we do.  The team didn't do this with Josh, I may never play again, because I like smoking weed, Gordon with his ILLEGAL drug habit.  The coach went on record a few weeks ago saying that they'd welcome him back with open arms if he's reinstated.  They are doing this with Manziel's completely legal alcohol habit.  There has to be a reason that they take one much more seriously than the other.  I don't know why they care so much about Johnny's drinking, but they clearly care a whole hell of a lot.  I don't think that happens in a vacuum. 

Isn't the difference that it's rare where someone is addicted to weed and go to rehab for weed and Johnny is quite obviously addicted to alcohol and has gone to rehab to help cure his addiction and obviously has failed.