DVDVR Message Board

NFL Stupidity in 2015

Dolfan in NYC

hey look, the Ravens, Colts and NFL were all lying!

http://deadspin.com/here-are-the-emails-that-helped-start-ballghazi-1722170637

“It’s ridiculous. It never happened. I never made any call. Nobody in our organization made any call,” Ravens head coach John Harbaugh told NBC before the Patriots’ Super Bowl victory over the Seattle Seahawks in February. “Just to make sure I had all the facts, I called Chuck Pagano this week and asked him, ‘Did anybody else in our organization tip you off about any deflated footballs?’ And he said, ‘No way.’”

or

(email to Colts GM Ryan Grigson)

First off the special teams coordinator from the Baltimore Ravens called Coach Pagano and said that they had issues last week at the game that when they were kicking (Baltimore that is) they were given new footballs instead of the ones that were prepared correctly.”

or

(NFL Punishment decider Troy Vincent)

It was first brought to my knowledge approximately six or seven minutes remaining in the second half [sic] of the AFC Championship Game. There was a knock on the door by the General Manager from the Indianapolis Colts, Ryan Grigson. He proceeded in the room and he brought to myself, and Mike Kensil was actually sitting to my left, and said, “We are playing with a small ball.” That was my first knowledge of the situation.

OK, so I've read that Deadspin article, and it seems like the biggest problem with the NFL's case is that the company Wells used to justify their suspension used a model that didn't take into consideration all of the variables necessary to determine whether or not the balls were tampered with.  You can't suspend someone based on a study that couldn't sufficiently determine whether or not they actually did something wrong.  Everytime the expert tries to explain why that study is insufficient, the NFL's lawyer doesn't allow him to explain.  I'm not a math major, I know nothing about statistics, but from what I know you can't properly measure something if you don't measure all relevant information.  Essentially the air pressure in a football can change for multiple reasons including temperature changes, timing, and probably multiple other things.  They didn't take into consideration either temperature or timing when judging whether or not these footballs were tampered with.  Tom Brady should be playing week one.

I think my favorite tidbit is that the guys who did the "independent" Wells Report are the guys who...did the cross-examination of Tom Brady at his appeal. Yep, "independent".

I think my favorite tidbit is that the guys who did the "independent" Wells Report are the guys who...did the cross-examination of Tom Brady at his appeal. Yep, "independent".

They also don't think 2nd hand smoke is a problem or that dumping toxic waste in a rain forest is a problem.  They are one of those "What would you like this science to say?" firms.

I inject toxic waste straight into my urethra. It's had no side effects so far beyond the fact I occasionally transform into Albert Belle.

• Like 2

I inject toxic waste straight into my urethra. It's had no side effects so far beyond the fact I occasionally transform into Albert Belle.

"Hit fans in the chest with a baseball" Albert or "Hall of Fame hitter" Albert?

I don't even think people are on Brady's side, we just don't trust anything Goodell says.  I don't even like Brady, but if I have to choose between Brady and Goodell, I'm going to be a Pats/Michigan fan on that day. 

For some reason, Tabe of all people being the constant defender of Brady cracks me up. Don't we have Pats fans on this board to fight for his cause?

Brady went to Michigan. Nuff said.

And I haven't exactly been a constant defender. I said when the report was released that I thought Brady was guilty. Mostly still feel that way. I just think he got waaaaay over-punished and that the NFL are a bunch of lying scumbags.

• Like 2

This whole thing reminds me of a conversation I had with a friend in high school.  He started hanging out with some other dude at school's girlfriend, and the dude somehow found out.  He approached my friend about it and some how some way he convinced that dude to apologize for accusing him of hanging out with his girl.  I asked my friend if he was hanging out with the girl and he said, "Yeah, but he doesn't know that."  This is that.  Brady probably had something to do with the balls being deflated, but at this point the NFL is just making shit up, because they suspect him of wrongdoing.  They don't have any proof whatsoever that he did anything, but they are approaching him with random accusations.  Brady knows what he did and didn't do, so until they actually come up with something that he actually did he can be on some, "Yeah, but they don't know that."

This whole thing reminds me of a conversation I had with a friend in high school.  He started hanging out with some other dude at school's girlfriend, and the dude somehow found out.  He approached my friend about it and some how some way he convinced that dude to apologize for accusing him of hanging out with his girl.  I asked my friend if he was hanging out with the girl and he said, "Yeah, but he doesn't know that."  This is that.  Brady probably had something to do with the balls being deflated, but at this point the NFL is just making shit up, because they suspect him of wrongdoing.  They don't have any proof whatsoever that he did anything, but they are approaching him with random accusations.  Brady knows what he did and didn't do, so until they actually come up with something that he actually did he can be on some, "Yeah, but they don't know that."

Pretty much and the NFL looks even stupider then normal cause they never thought the transcripts would be public. So what they wrote in the decision now looks horrible stupid since the transcripts of the interview and what Brady said in said interview don't match up.

That is a really good point, it was the dominating storyline this NFL offseason and it makes sense for the NFL to conduct a witch hunt against the Patriots and Brady, they are the long time dominant force inthe NFL fans of other teams are quick to dislike them. But now it's turning around to bite them in the ass since with every new bit of information it just sheds light on how corrupt the NFL is. It's pretty entertaining, the question is how big of a part will this be in the fall of Roger Goodell? I anticipate the 30 for 30 doc on the subject, really it's been a pretty long slow decline but he keeps making questionable or outright stupid decisions yet keeps hanging on, what is going to be the straw that breaks the camals back to get him out of office? It's entertaining in a sad sick way and makes you question why you deal with the NFL but then you remember that you love football and NCAA is just as fucked if not more so and you die a little inside.

That is a really good point, it was the dominating storyline this NFL offseason and it makes sense for the NFL to conduct a witch hunt against the Patriots and Brady, they are the long time dominant force inthe NFL fans of other teams are quick to dislike them. But now it's turning around to bite them in the ass since with every new bit of information it just sheds light on how corrupt the NFL is. It's pretty entertaining, the question is how big of a part will this be in the fall of Roger Goodell? I anticipate the 30 for 30 doc on the subject, really it's been a pretty long slow decline but he keeps making questionable or outright stupid decisions yet keeps hanging on, what is going to be the straw that breaks the camals back to get him out of office? It's entertaining in a sad sick way and makes you question why you deal with the NFL but then you remember that you love football and NCAA is just as fucked if not more so and you die a little inside.

Not sure if a 30 for 30 type of thing will happen, with Simmons moving to HBO and HBO being in the NFL's pocket, too. (And you know there's zero chance that ESPN would do it.) But it would be awesome.

Pretty much and the NFL looks even stupider then normal cause they never thought the transcripts would be public. So what they wrote in the decision now looks horrible stupid since the transcripts of the interview and what Brady said in said interview don't match up.

The fact that they can't even confirm whether or not the balls were even deflated makes this whole circus even worse.  There is a chance that they didn't gauge the balls correctly making all of this a mute point.  If the people they have investigating this matter didn't take into consideration all of the environmental factors that could change the air pressure in the ball, why are we supposed to believe that referees did?

Oh, and about Tom Brady not giving up his phone...Did anyone notice how one of his personal emails to a childhood friend was leaked to the media?  The one about him playing another 7-8 years and Peyton Manning only playing 1-2.  It has absolutely nothing to do with Deflategate, but somehow we know about it.  Is he supposed to believe that if he gives them his phone, his personal messages, pictures, and anything else won't be leaked as well?

Aldon Smith arrested by Santa Clara Police, last night. He was booked into Santa Clara County Jail.

Say what you want about Aldon, but he usually makes his arrests really fun to talk about.  Can't wait to hear about how he went out of his way to get arrested for something ridiculous.

And weren't the Santa Clara police supposedly in the 49ers pocket? This must be a doozy lol

So apparently it is for Hit & Run, DUI, and Vandalism...can't wait to hear how he figured out to do all three of those at the same time.

And weren't the Santa Clara police supposedly in the 49ers pocket? This must be a doozy lol

So apparently it is for Hit & Run, DUI, and Vandalism...can't wait to hear how he figured out to do all three of those at the same time.

That's a felony trifecta right there, just needed to punch a cop for the Bingo. . . .

As for Brady, one of the main reasons its continued, is because of Spygate.  If this was, to pick two random guys, Aaron Rodgers, or Andrew Luck, this would have been resolved months ago, with a fine, if that. But with all of the scheming(legal or not), that the Pats do, the bending of the rules(or finding "loopholes") messing with the balls is right in line with a pattern that "exists", at least in the minds of the general public. The fact he probably didn't do it, is immaterial, at least in the general public opinion, who doesn't follow this stuff day to day, or even month to month. "Brady and the Pats "cheated" to win the superbowl" is the meme, and all of Goodell incompetence, lying and all the bullshit won't be remembered as strongly, if at all. . . .