DVDVR Message Board

July 4th Live Special

steve

Its amazing how much fun this show was, even the tag match, without Dunn's sterilized paint-by-numbers production and Vince's micromanagement with the announcers.

Is there any indication that either Dunn or Vince didn't have anything to do this show?

Did... Did I just see Kane hit Ziggler with a brainbuster?

Anyway, this was great. Just watching the main now. I wish nXt's Facebook hadn't spoiled Balor's win, but otherwise fantastic show.

Jericho isn't going to be around that much anymore. And if this was anywhere else, Neville should have gone over... But Jericho is the last WWE worker that had some cache from one of the last great eras of Poresu. He's toast as a full time or part time participant.

I have to agree this was a fun show. Looked like HHH had his hands all over it since it resembled NXT a lot more than Raw. The minimalist aesthetics really let the wrestlers stand out, and the commentary proved how much of a hack JBL really is (although I've been saying he's as bad as Lawler for a couple years now). Just a nice, simple show that didn't try to do too much.

I was impressed with Jericho, easily the best he's looked in about 3 years. This match might have been the best on the show. I loved Cole name-dropping FMW, Dragon Gate, and differentiating the Walls of Jericho and the Lion Tamer.

Divas match was just a divas match. Was hoping someone taught Nikki how to do a Tiger Driver to complement her running elbow. That would've probably gotten a good pop.

Brock/Kofi was exactly what it needed to be. Loved all the no-selling by Brock and Kofi can sure take a bump.

Balor/Owens was fun, but I think their NXT TV match was a little better. That Green Bay Plunge that Owens did caught me off guard. They did a nice job mixing up their usual spots.

The tag was a terrible choice for the main event and went on way too long, but whatever.

The first few moments of Brock-Kofi with Kofi sticking and moving and running and Brock no-selling but getting annoyed before he finally hit the non-release German was pretty fucking great. Kofi should have turned heel years ago. I do wish he had stalled a bit longer at the start, really build that heat.

I had to watch Brock/Kofi and the smile that Brock gave at one of the reactions was perfect. The curtain fell there for a second... even though he was basically murdering a good friend. And agreed, the crowd (aside from chants and phones. Japan, be Korakuen Hall, not ROH) and announcers were perfect. If we could only get this every week (and I could see it on Mondays)...

I have to agree this was a fun show. Looked like HHH had his hands all over it since it resembled NXT a lot more than Raw. The minimalist aesthetics really let the wrestlers stand out, and the commentary proved how much of a hack JBL really is (although I've been saying he's as bad as Lawler for a couple years now). Just a nice, simple show that didn't try to do too much.

How did it prove that? Its pretty common knowledge that the commentary teams suck because of Vince shouting in their ears & the general style he forces on them.

He's doing the gimmick people like to see and was the most over guy on the show.  He's not involved in any storyline or anything so why should he be doing anything except what the crowd wants?

Then feed someone else to him. Neville needs to be winning matches or getting protected... losing to a part-timer like Y2J accomplishes neither.

He held his own against a legend. Tried his best. Attempted all he could. Could not manage to defeat him. He'll get another chance, or at least have an opportunity to get on his skill level. He's not totally buried and the loss did nothing to hurt him. Like, really, has his stock been lowered at all? No. He's still the same Neville from a month ago, who just had a great match against future hall of famer Chris Jericho and will go on to better things in the near future.

I thought the tag main was perfectly good and enjoyed the extended Ricky Morton bits from both guys, it's just that it had that "random guys thrown together having a fun match to finish a house show with a good vibe" thing, whereas Balor vs Owens felt like a major PPV match with massively bigger stakes - felt like they were from two different shows. They also seemed keen to go back to emphasising that Finn winning was the biggest thing to come out of the show so why not put it on last

Think that was definitely Finn's best match in WWE so far, first time it felt there was real emotional investment in/from him; the idea that he might get a bit OTT violent and get DQ'd from frustration is something they could take further with him in terms of the Demon gear being a bit of an escalation/oh shiiit moment in a feud

fun hearing the crowd gasp in anticipation the instant Finn first teased the reverse bloody sunday

it's unbelievable how weird it was to hear ad-libbed, spontaneous commentary on a WWE show, Cole just kind of shooting the shit during the brief video packages between matches like he's chilling out with a beer while covering Eurovision or something

• Like 1

Soaking of commentary, when Finn hit the bloody Sunday Cole said something like "talk about the ultimate homage" and then the commentary just went silent for a few seconds like he cut himself off without explaining the line. Or the line got cut from the replay.

Even though he hasn't been winning all the time, they've booked him to look much stronger than they ever let Broune look.

Probably because Neville's drug of choice appears to be anabolic.

• Like 1

Neville is an unlikely combination of nearly the smallest guy on the roster and most juiced guy on roster. That probably appeals to Vince.

Yes. Jericho's body has seen better days, but I think it was all the more noticeable because he was working the most ridiculously cut dude on the roster.

How did it prove that? Its pretty common knowledge that the commentary teams suck because of Vince shouting in their ears & the general style he forces on them.

Even if you want to put all of JBL's negatives on Vince, there's still nothing of value he could've added from the booth here. Cole and Saxton put over both the faces and heels and covered all the history. He's completely unnecessary.

Its amazing how much fun this show was, even the tag match, without Dunn's sterilized paint-by-numbers production and Vince's micromanagement with the announcers.

Is there any indication that either Dunn or Vince didn't have anything to do this show?

Production was done by JSport in Japan.

So, I'm currently watching the women's triple threat, and I was very disappointed when Paige's headbutts had an effect on Tamina. She should have inherited the Pacific Islander hard head gimmick. 

• Like 2

I'd like to think of it as shockingly astute awareness on the part of the WWE to imply that the Snukas (and maybe all Fijians) don't have impenetrably hard heads (think Snuka and Piper with the coconut,) and that it's just Samoans and Tongans who do.

I'd like to...