DVDVR Message Board

July 4th Live Special

steve

I really liked Jericho/Neville, and especially Owens/Balor. It was awesome seeing the NXT title change hands in front of a big crowd in Japan, and the audience treating it like a big deal. I thought that was quite easily Balor's best performance in WWE so far. This was the match he lived up to the hype. Gotta love Owens not shaking the hand afterwards lol.

Quit your whining about having to stay up late/get up early.

That's what every European has to go through for every regular PPV, if he wanted to see it live. Regular PPVs usually start at 2am and end at 5am for us.

Given my schedule, 2-5 am would actually be preferable to 7-10 pm CDT. 4:30 am is just no man's land in my schedule.

That was probably the best I've seen Balor look in WWE/NXT. He's still a little too interpretive dance-y, but at least his strikes have started to rise above Jeff Hardy level again. I'm not sure if he was working too light/loose while getting used to "WWE style," but if he actually lays into those forearms and elbows again, it will make the graceful-but-useless stuff like the Sling Blade a lot easier to take.

Kevin Owens is pretty much the perfect mix of Vader, heel Rock, and indie troll at this point. It's glorious.

I like Jericho/Neville, but there were times where it felt like Jericho didn't really bring many ideas for how to cut Neville off besides "back elbow."

I thought Owens/Balor benefitted from quite obviously being booked to protect Cena and Owens for Battleground.

Always liked Byron more as the heel color guy in developmental(dating back to FCW).  As is, he's this wishy-washy tweener since I guess only JBL can be a heel commentator.  That being said, Cole and Byron did a fine job on this show.

Jericho-Neville took a bit to get going, but they had plenty of time and made it count.  Surprised Jericho won.

Tag match just seemed like a whole lot of nothing with a foregone conclusion (not that it was bad, just seemed there to fill the rest of the time).

Women's match was good.  Wondered if Nikki would be able to get Tamina up for the Rack Attack, but she went with the FOREARM SMASH OF SISTERLY BETRAYAL~! instead.

Brock-Kofi was good for what it was, though I had hoped for a slightly more competitive showing from Kofi.

Cool to see Bálor and Owens pull out stuff they hadn't done in WWE like the Bloody Sunday and sleeper suplex.  Well done.

#yaywrestling

Good show. I really enjoyed Neville/Jericho, the Brock stuff and Balor/Owens.   I don't mind the tag match closing out the show, it reminded me of Tananhashi teaming with Captain New Japan. It did go too long though. I would have liked to see the whole card.

Cole was really good on commentary.

That crowd was the best possible somewhat-smarky American crowd, too. They mimicked the chants of American crowds, but they also actually booed at heels that did heelish things and popped for all the big moves/counters that happened in each match. They made the show really enjoyable on their end. 

I hope we get more non-U.S. shows on the Network so we can maybe get some different crowds more often. 

• Like 1

I was happy for Finn, but I wish I liked his work more. Based on what I've seen from him, once he hits the main roster he'll have good matches with the usual suspects (Cena, Cesaro, Sheamus), but he'll struggle to gel with most of the roster. He seems to be the opitome of a guy who works up to his opponent's level.

He's 44 year old part-time wrestler. What are you really expecting? He can still go, that's all that matters.

This is the correct answer. But it just took me off guard with how bad he was.

He was seriously the most over guy on the show too.

One thing I liked about the commentary was that we didn't have someone ramming the heel perspective down our throats the whole way through. It gets tiresome, especially without one the caliber of a Heenan or Ventura to do it. We don't need to hear about Owens' kids or silly theories about how Bálor was disrespecting Owens with the handshake offer. Owens is a jerk. End of story.

Jericho/Neville was surprisingly good, and the crowd being way behind Jericho helped the match a bunch.

Divas match wasn't bad, but it was the deadest the crowd was all night, and I have to imagine that's because while you can hold up WWE as its own style vs Japanese wrestling, (especially with the talented crew they had out there,) WWE women's wrestling just doesn't look good by comparison with the homegrown product.

RIP Kofi Kingston.

I started off Bálor/Owens thinking this was going to be a coronation for Bálor and an NXT send-off for Owens, but when the first CDG didn't score the win, I had no idea where they were going with it. Really had me going with every false finish. Loved this match.

I'd stayed up to watch this, so the tag match was pretty anticlimactic to me, and I just wanted to sleep at that point. Seemed alright, but I was done at that point.

Divas match wasn't bad, but it was the deadest the crowd was all night, and I have to imagine that's because while you can hold up WWE as its own style vs Japanese wrestling, (especially with the talented crew they had out there,) WWE women's wrestling just doesn't look good by comparison with the homegrown product.

They don't really watch the homegrown product much at this point either. Its more the general apathy created by WWE's shitty booking of the divas. They just haven't created characters people can really care about within the main roster's division.

Its amazing how much fun this show was, even the tag match, without Dunn's sterilized paint-by-numbers production and Vince's micromanagement with the announcers.

• Like 1

Everyone is sleeping on Cole name-checking the referees. That really leapt out at me.

As someone who grew up on a monthly diet of televised MSG house shows, that special makes me think they should take this on the road. Do a house show of the week with a 3-camera setup, minimal lighting, maybe even without announcers ala NJPW World. They could do worse than to experiment a bit with this.

I woke up by mistake this morning and said "What the Hell? I should grab my iPad. "

I'm kind of taken aback by the fact that I dislike Chris Jericho more every passing week. He does nothing offensive really. I'm just to the point where I don't want to see him. Ever. And the wrong guy went over.

I thought the Diva match was perfectly acceptable wrestling. Nikki Bella is so much better than she was, and I really like the work of the other two.

The Brock-Kofi match was exactly what it should have been.

Bravo to Balor and Owens. Like someone else said, they took what I thought was a foregone conclusion - Balor winning the title - and made me doubt it and I still wasn't upset when they did the expected finish. Great match.

The tag match was what it was. Work to the hot tag to Cena. It's a shame that Ziggler has lost "it", because he was one of the few accepted guys with the WWE crowd, but I just don't buy him as big time anymore.

Good show. I'm glad I got up early.

I'm kind of taken aback by the fact that I dislike Chris Jericho more every passing week. He does nothing offensive really. I'm just to the point where I don't want to see him. Ever. And the wrong guy went over.

I could not put it into words properly.  He's still fine in the ring, but every time he comes back, he's worth less and less, but still inexplicably goes over people they're trying to build (Bray Wyatt, Neville). 

I remember that Jericho kept saying over and over that he made sure to improve or change his gimmick and approach each time he returned - yet he's now stuck in the old Y2J gimmick for several years, while his body deteriorates.

I'd have no real issue with them continuing to use Jericho if they greatly toned down the push.  He should not be going over new stars.

He's doing the gimmick people like to see and was the most over guy on the show.  He's not involved in any storyline or anything so why should he be doing anything except what the crowd wants?

He beat Wyatt once and lost the match at the big show (SummerSlam) and the blow off cage match on RAW. Before that he put over everyone from Ryback to Punk to Ziggler to Fandango.

Neville lost a close long match in a glorified house show that only the most hardcore fans probably tuned in for.

• Like 3