DVDVR Message Board

July 4th Live Special

steve

How did it prove that? Its pretty common knowledge that the commentary teams suck because of Vince shouting in their ears & the general style he forces on them.

Even if you want to put all of JBL's negatives on Vince, there's still nothing of value he could've added from the booth here. Cole and Saxton put over both the faces and heels and covered all the history. He's completely unnecessary.

Is there a reason you assume he wouldn't have done the same thing on such a show? Did you not watch when JBL actually first did an extended commentary run?

Neville is an unlikely combination of nearly the smallest guy on the roster and most juiced guy on roster. That probably appeals to Vince.

Yes. Jericho's body has seen better days, but I think it was all the more noticeable because he was working the most ridiculously cut dude on the roster.

I thought Jericho looked ok. He had a little bit of a belly but dude is like 45 and only wrestles every so often. He moved around really well and kept up with Neville. For comparisons sake, imagine Hogan at 45 working with someone like Rey Mysterio.

Is there a reason you assume he wouldn't have done the same thing on such a show? Did you not watch when JBL actually first did an extended commentary run?

I remember him always being pretty antagonistic and putting a lot of attention on himself in the booth. But even if he dials it down, what does he add to what Cole and Saxton did? 3-man booths tend to be pretty bad in general, but there was absolutely nothing that made me think "You know what would make this better? JBL." His only appeal the last few years has been occasionally making some obscure historical references, and Cole and Saxton did just fine in that department without him. Even if he restrained himself from trying to one-up those two (which might be a Vince thing), he's just cluttering the booth at best, splitting material that 2 guys can handle 3 ways.

I remember him always being pretty antagonistic and putting a lot of attention on himself in the booth. But even if he dials it down, what does he add to what Cole and Saxton did? 3-man booths tend to be pretty bad in general, but there was absolutely nothing that made me think "You know what would make this better? JBL." His only appeal the last few years has been occasionally making some obscure historical references, and Cole and Saxton did just fine in that department without him. Even if he restrained himself from trying to one-up those two (which might be a Vince thing), he's just cluttering the booth at best, splitting material that 2 guys can handle 3 ways.

Then I'm pretty sure you don't actually remember JBL's first run on commentary well. He was better than Cole & Saxton by a good margin with a style closer to Heenan's. Also I'm not really sure why you keep talking of a 3-man booth here. I wasn't saying JBL should have been added or anything. I just think its utterly ridiculous to talk up unrestrained Byron and Cole while shitting on a blatantly restrained JBL. Cole has always been rather mediocre, Vince in his ear or not. He was screwing things this show because he isn't as knowledgeable even after looking his shit up. JBL years ago was literally doing the same type of info dump Cole was trying only much more natural w/o screwing up said info and with some actual personality.

Admittedly, my only two memories of JBL's original run without re-watching anything are him harping on Lashley's "elevated enzymes" and relentlessly shitting on MVP's debut, but maybe those are outliers of his overall performance? There were definitely times when it seemed like he was more interested in getting himself over than the people in the ring, or at least he was unaware of how he was slipping into "promo" mode a bit too much in the booth.

His original run was horrible, not quite as bad as this current one though. He would basically take over Smackdown commentary with his stupid old school stories and talking about Danny Hodge and shit like that.

So, naturally, DVDVR loved it :P

• Like 1

I thought Jericho looked ok. He had a little bit of a belly but dude is like 45 and only wrestles every so often. He moved around really well and kept up with Neville. For comparisons sake, imagine Hogan at 45 working with someone like Rey Mysterio.

Yeah he looked alright for his age. Physically he looked like late 90s Flair. He's had the chest of late 90s Flair. Now he has a bit of flab hanging over the trunks as well. My only complaint with Jericho the last few years is feuding with him has had zero benefit to the other wrestler. Don't know if that is his fault though. Seems like most feuds have limited benefit to the people involved.

Late to the party but add me to the list of people who enjoyed the hell out of the July 4th show. Production wise, it was refreshing change from the usual formula. The wrestling was good to great. I'll admit, I didn't watch the women's match. The main roster women don't interest me at all. Brock vs. Kofi was exactly what it should have been. A squash but a fun squash. Neville and Jericho was more fun than I expected. I'd have liked to see Neville win but I knew it wasn't happening and was still ok with it. Owens/Balor was the best match I've seen from Finn. Owens is so goddamn good right now. The main was probably 10 minutes too long but it was fun nonetheless. Cena is another guy that is in perfect form right now. The commentary was probably the most refreshing part of this show. Simple, effective, and actually informative to anyone tuning in without full blown internet geekery to rely on. FMW references for Crom's sake! For all of the distance that Vince wants to put between "sports entertainment and superstars" and "rasslin," his company can put on a hell of straight up, old school wrestling show. I'd love to see more of this kind of thing.

Admittedly, my only two memories of JBL's original run without re-watching anything are him harping on Lashley's "elevated enzymes" and relentlessly shitting on MVP's debut, but maybe those are outliers of his overall performance? There were definitely times when it seemed like he was more interested in getting himself over than the people in the ring, or at least he was unaware of how he was slipping into "promo" mode a bit too much in the booth.

The MVP thing built to a payoff, because it played into the whole overpriced, underperforming athlete gimmick.  JBL hated him until MVP took him out for a nice steak dinner, at which point he started loving him and putting him over.  He did a similar thing with the Miz, who he hated at first, and slowly started to acknowledge that Miz was putting in the work and was improving.  That gave both the Miz and JBL more credibility than just saying "I love this guy, Maggul!" right off the bat.  He also endlessly pimped Matt Hardy as a future world champion and Shane Helms as the longest running cruiserweight champion, both touches the commentators need to do more of today. 

• Like 1

A bit disappointed that New Day just did their generic intro. I would've laughed heartily if E cut a promo about how the fans shouldn't give in to the forces of DOMINION.

See what I did there?