DVDVR Message Board

WWE Elimination Chamber

Phil Schneider

So that Owens guy.

Man that IC Chamber match was weapons grade drizzling shit.  

I'm cool with the Dusty finish to the Main, if only for the brief picture of Jon Moxley announced as the WWE World Champion.

Both the Chamber matches were pretty shitty.

Owens/Cena was freaking fun, and Owens winning clean ruled.

They got me for a second with the Ambrose thing. I thought he'd leave teh show as champ and have it overturned tomorrow. Still, I liked that Ambrose did it all himself, with no Reigns help.

Kickoff highlight was the Rusev Loves Anal sign during the kickoff match. MizTV with Bryan and Miz was awful and got worse with the Meta Powers. Tag title match was a clusterfuck. It was basically a video game match, but with horrible collision detection and kids just doing random shit because it could be cool in theory. Divas title match wasn't good either.

Cena-Owens FUCKING RULED. Cena may need more elbow surgery after taking the powerbombs RIGHT ON HIS ELBOWS, but he got this man over and gave him a ton. Neville-Bo sucked. IC Title chamber had some fun Henry spots, Sheamus unlocking a door with his cross, and not much else. Main event wasn't very good, and the Dusty finish shockingly didn't help things any.

http://jayreviewsthings.blogspot.com/2015/05/wwe-elimination-chamber-2015.html

Screens -
b5e2a0412975502.jpg

f1a510412981894.jpg

9b1cb0412985049.jpg

0e627a412985066.jpg

027ed0412993423.jpg

659fe1412993426.jpg

Kickoff screens -
http://www.imagebam.com/gallery/d271fs7cm6k789x82jiookrdxegdgklu

EC Screens  -
http://www.imagebam.com/gallery/16ddbxlrgqgixpzutrb7f448onsy20u4m

Enjoyable show, especially Owens/Cena. Awesome seeing Kevin Steen shine on the WWE stage. On the negative side, I hate matches with tons of interference, and worst of all, the fucking Dusty finish. 

They could have stopped the PPV after the Cena/Owens bout because there was nothing that was going to top this tonight.  Owens was already a star but tonight solidified that he is a made man.  WIN OWENS WIN!  And what makes it all better is that John Cena was the one staring at the lights for a change.

This show was all about KO for me. It was awesome seeing him give a performance like that in his debut match after killing in NXT. I'd say with Brock as a tweener Owens is by far the best heel worker in the company.

FIGHT OWENS FIGHT 

FIGHT OWENS FIGHT

FIGHT OWENS FIGHT

Owens/Cena was awesome. For the past few months, Cena's been asking for it by fighting Rusev AND sticking his neck out in the open challenges. Each week, some new opponent came out and threw everything at him, and each week he hung on by an ever-barer thread. This week, it caught up with him because the NXT Champ is a wrecking ball. The big-move-out-of-nowhere/kickout stuff worked perfectly for that reason. Good 2.9-filled type of match.

The rest of this show was, um, not good. I know people are going to disagree with me, but Rollins is not really very good. Sub-Ziggler-level offense. Right down there with Ambrose's shit offense, though at least Ambrose has mega-charisma. That main event was mediocre, but it was better than the rest of the matches that I haven't mentioned. Well, maybe Dallas/Neville was better, just heatless since it was the cool-down match.

Rough night for Paige. She totally missed a cue to shove Naomi out of the way of Nikki's kick and then got dropped on her head Misawa-style. That match and the first match were full of bad pacing and blown spots, but they still were better than the IC title match, which badly needed Rusev. Mark HENRAYYYYYYY is still awesome, though. And slimmer!

EDIT: I feel like Cena looks up at the lights a lot, to be honest. Also, I think the Sheamus pod thing was supposed to be on purpose - he used his cross to jam the door - but no one at the booth got it. 

Crossposting from PWO:

I loved how much Cena gave him in the first half of the match. It was all heat with some really great cut offs and compelling offense and good selling. They basically bypassed the shine altogether. I think that was to make Owens look even stronger (and I had thought through the match to make him look stronger in defeat). As it was, it made the match feel uneven to me. Unbalanced. I think that the finishing stretch was way too long with way too many kick outs. That said, they were relatively judicious in the use of the Pop Up Power Bomb and AA. Because of that it wasn't as bad as it could have been. I would have liked to see more selling to delay the pins more, maybe? The one place I DIDN'T want to see it was after the Pop Up Powerbomb. He sort of fell onto him slowly. I would have loved him having an adrenaline burst and really driving in the pin there with the feet moving and what not. That's a nitpick though.

Really great heat segment and a fun and compelling finishing stretch that went on way too long relative to the way they structured the match. In some ways I kind of liken it to Sabu vs Cena actually, in that Owens got to do all sort of stuff that we never see against Cena and that in and of itself was a lot of fun to see.

I've said "compelling" twice now and I'll say it again. It more compelling than great, but I'm totally okay with that because compelling is so rare.

----------------------------

I do think sometimes a match that's somewhat less "great" but can be more of a spectacle or more or more spectacular can be the RIGHT match. It's not always about what we think is good or appropriate. That match got Owens buzz, maybe even more buzz than a more balanced, more even match, one that we'd rank higher on MOTY or MOTD lists. And some people build that into how they rate a match. I generally don't, but I'll at least admit it.

• Like 1

I know some people are complaining about the tag Chamber match but I'm not ashamed to admit that I loved it. Yes, it came across like a live video game match but who cares it was fun. Cena/Owens was match of the night though.

• Like 1

EC tag was a fun trainwreck

Divas wasn't offensive(Namoi's gear was hot)

As happy as I am for Owens, it's time you schmucks give Cena his propers

Dusty Finish didn't bother me because it hasn't been done in a long time.

I didn't forget anything else...because it wasn't worth remembering

Owens vs Cena is a legit top 5 match of the year contender.    This also cements John Cena as the best in the business as well because there isn't one person on that roster who could have pulled that off.   I mean he was great even though he was basically doing guest commentating calling out his spots so loudly.    

This is where being a life long wrestling fan sucks because as soon as Ambrose got the pin I thought Dusty finish.   Hopefully this won't be like every other Dusty finish in the new WWE where the baby face gives back the title tomorrow and looks like a complete geek. 

Rest of the show was pretty so so.  The tag title chamber match was a fun mess and I like Neville vs Dallas a lot more than I thought.  

Cena/Owens is probably my leader for MOTY right now but that could be a snap judgment. Tonight was the first time I ever liked a Dusty Finish. I thought the main was booked very smartly with Dean/Roman still being boys, Dean beating Seth by himself, and leaving with the belt. I think if Seth would've gotten it back and ran with it I wouldn't have liked it as much but I greatly enjoyed Dean getting to keep it and do a little promo with it. Overall aside from the IC chamber match suffering tremendously from keeping the best guy out of the match for the majority of it (even if that reveal was hilarious to me) and losing the 2nd best to injury, everything else was OK to good.

Another thing that amazed is that no one got paralyzed or crippled in the Divas match, that shit was horrifying.

Owens-Cena was absolutely incredible. Cena's best match in years, the best non-Mania ppv match in years and legit probably the biggest "shock ending" to a match since Taker's Streak was broken. THAT is how you make a new star.

The main was also really great - I really don't think Ambrose is that great in the ring but he has crazy chemistry with Rollins where their matches are always great. The Dusty finish blows but I never thought they were ready to change the title so as soon as Ambrose "won" I knew they'd Jericho-on-Raw the title back to Seth some how. Just the visual and pop for Ambrose winning were great and I like Roman in the DX (in Mick Foley's corner) role. If they were smart they'd keep the focus on Ambrose for awhile and then build to Roman turning on him eventually sometime down the line.

That B&W promo with Ambrose was really awesome as well. Really shows what he can do when he's not given the stupid Hot Dog Cart fake "moments" and given a chance to just cut loose with his personality.

The rest of the show blew. Both those chambers were terrible. The tag match had big spots but they were all nonsensical and it was like watching a ECW garbage match - the IC chamber was just boring as shit. The Divas match was terrible too and, well, Neville-Bo might've been good but I was still in shock over Owens so I kinda zoned out during it.

• Like 1

The announcers all missing that Sheamus used his cross to lock himself in so he could wait until everyone down was the highlight of that shitty ass match.

Owens/Cena was excellent and Cena is the least selfish, most giving ace ever. He didn't just job, he didn't just job clean, he gave Owens everything and let him kick out of everything and then jobbed clean.

• Like 5

EC tag was a fun trainwreck

Divas wasn't offensive(Namoi's gear was hot)

As happy as I am for Owens, it's time you schmucks give Cena his propers

Dusty Finish didn't bother me because it hasn't been done in a long time.

I didn't forget anything else...because it wasn't worth remembering

They did a Dusty finish with Daniel Bryan a couple years ago.  Remember the heel ref Bob Armstrong.  Actually that was done well until they made him look like a goof on Monday

Main event was fun until the fuck finish.  Even when Ambrose won I kind of groaned internally because I knew he was just going to get screwed out of it on Raw, but they didn't even wait that long.  I like Rollins and fully get he's the chickenshit heel champ who cheats however he can, but it's getting to the point where I'm not looking forward to his matches as much anymore because all the inevitable outside interference is just going to lead to a bunch of crap endings.

Owens looked great though it seems clear he's going to lose the rematch.  I'd say he's a made man now, but it's the WWE and they've shown that they're capable of botching even the surest of things with absurd booking.

Tag match was a decent trainwreck which was kind of expected.  I was hoping the Wyatts would come out at some point, maybe tomorrow night?

The IC EC match was complete dogshit.  The crowd was absolutely dead, especially towards the end.  I'm wondering if they did some on the fly booking after Russev got injured because it's hard to imagine putting the title on someone as horrible as Ryback was the plan all along.

The rest of this show was, um, not good. I know people are going to disagree with me, but Rollins is not really very good.

Not at all. When he isn't running through spots he's painfully mediocre. The difference between Owens and Rollins was night and day.

Speaking of not good Paige's timing was off on every single thing she did. They gave the divas a chance to have a good match, and they once again came up short.