DVDVR Message Board

WWE Elimination Chamber

Phil Schneider

Cena will probably get his win back at MITB, but he cheerfully did the job and introduced Owens to the main card and the world.   It was a move-for-move match, with no cheating or screw job finishes and Cena put Owens over clean as a sheet.

People who hate Cena really do need to shut the fuck up.

Dusty finish for the main event made no sense.   Painfully obvious booking to lengthen the feud.  Better swerve would've been to let Ambrose win the belt clean.

Kudos to Neville for doing his best to have an entertaining match with Bo Dallas despite having to follow the Cena - Owens epic beatdown.  Neville worked his ass off to get the crowd back into the card and succeeded.

• Like 4

Why were people breaking up pins in the chamber matches? Specifically Lucha Dragons and Tyson saving people who weren't their partners, and Mark Henry busting up pins in that IC atrocity.

"Cena rolled out of the ring too quick!!!" Is the narrative Wade Keller is pushing. Apparently Cena agrees to be beaten down two weeks straight, and lose the match clean as a sheet, and clear out so the guy who beat him can cut a promo mocking him...but he's still a bad guy. Some people just love to bitch I guess.

I enjoyed the divas match.  Maybe it's because I was half asleep and maybe it's because the botches made me fear for the safety of the workers, but I thought it was pretty intense and was the most I ever got into a Nikki Bella match.  She's finally winning me over.  It just seemed different to me than other divas matches and other three-ways. It's one I probably won't ever watch again because I want to remember enjoying it instead of going back for a second look and picking out the mistakes.

On the opposite end of the spectrum, I enjoyed the Cena/Owens match for different reasons.  It felt formulaic to me, at least at the beginning.  Sometimes I feel like fast forwarding these matches until I see each guy hit their finishers once, then I can start watching.  However, the individual performances from each guy put it over the top and I think the announcing actually was very good in this one, too.  Lawler mentioning that he had wrestled Owens gave him some legitimacy.  I liked it. 

I decided to wait until morning to talk about Owens/Cena to see if it would cool off a little in my mind after a few hours of sleep. Then I saw that moonsault gif. I really, really, really liked that match. I think that the idea someone posted earlier (I'd credit you but sorry I'm on mobile) about the match being elevated by the finish is spot on. I thought for certain the finish was gonna be a frustrated Owens going nuts with a chair for the DQ.

Everything else was just kinda there. The Chamber, like HIAC and MITB, is beginning to show it's age as a gimmick.

Let's look on the plus side. They gave us a PPV (not really but sort of) where neither Orton not Kane (or Big Show, who's not on telly and nobody noticed he was gone) were injured, but they still didn't book them to wrestle on the show. So really we should be talking about how it was super awesome and brilliant it was, so they do that some more.

The huge thing that folks are missing is that new talent is being showcased and put over.  Owens and Neville were huge and we had a main event that did not heavily showcase HHH, Kane Cena, or Orton.

This makes the Fuck Randy Orton gremlin sitting on my left shoulder very happy.

I take it by Sting's continued absence that the plan all along was to let HHH get a vanity win over WCW and let that be that.

Don't get too used to it since both Orton and Show are supposed to be on RAW tonight

Well, now.  That gets me all excited about tuning in to RAW tonight.  No one would mistake you for a WWE employee, my friend.

I like how instead of "OMG OWENS BEAT CENA", I'm mostly seeing "LOL FU CEENUH H8RZ". Holy hell.  Nowadays asshole wrestling fans make me hate people in wrestling more than the people in wrestling themselves do.

Really starting to wonder about the speculation that Nikki will hold the belt until she beats out AJ's title reign length.

• Like 1

Yeah, I've definitely been getting a "Hall and Nash" vibe out of Reigns and Ambrose these last few weeks. They definitely seem like they enjoy being linked back together again, and Reigns is way more likable as "bro dude supportive of his bro".

loved Owens vs. Cena, started slowly but figured it was building to a hot finish, which it did. I was the only one in the room with familiarity with Owens outside of NXT and judging by my friends' reactions to the match and promo they definitely made a new star tonight.

During the tag match it definitely felt like Kalisto was trying to attempt spots that he just didn't have the core strength to pull off, it looked like he was seriously struggling hard to navigate the chain link fence.

IC Title match was a frigging disaster, saved only by the feelgood finish they did with Ryback. I did get a kick out of that, and the presentation of the title to him. I am 100 positive that the Mark Henry entry was either a botch or an audible they called. Mark definitely stepped back into the pod and lingered for about 10-15 seconds before finally heading in.

I like how instead of "OMG OWENS BEAT CENA", I'm mostly seeing "LOL FU CEENUH H8RZ". Holy hell.  Nowadays asshole wrestling fans make me hate people in wrestling more than the people in wrestling themselves do.

Well, if the Cena haters hadn't been annoying, whiny twatbags for years, then there wouldn't be so much clapback against them.

Oh man...great comment above about Reigns/Ambrose having a Hall/Nash vibe. They should fucking run with that. Or, to follow more in line with WWE thinking, a Shawn/Hunter '97 deal.

The whole joke about heel authority figures is that they have exactly as much power as the babyface decides they have. I mean, you're not going to be fired. The worst they can really do is put you in a handicap match, usually against inferior competition. Ambrose and Reigns should be pushed as being the coolest guys in the world going against a bunch of dorks. 

I mean...that inevitably leads to the destruction of the company but y'know...they would be cool and funny at least. 

I avoided all spoilers and watching the event this morning. My jaw hit the floor when Owens won. I think I kept saying, "holy shit..." Aside from it being an amazing match, it basically made Owens, it put NXT on the map as being this promotion that has guys that can take Cena to the limit and defeat him, and it gave many fans, me included, hope for a better future. About a third of the way into the match hearing everyone chant, "FIGHT OWENS FIGHT" I knew that Owens would be different and this was a different moment.

However, my friend remarked to me that this was the kiss of death and look at everyone else that has been in the same position. Recent memory recalls Rusev and Ryback. And then there are others who made it, like CM Punk or Daniel Bryan, who would still be thriving if they were either still with the company or healthy. I feel like this is different, but my friend is right...history is more on the side of this being the kiss of death, but I think there's more momentum in Owens' favor to make him different. I'm probably too in the moment, but this felt like a real passing of the torch moment. And if that's the case, we're in good hands because it also means Sami Zayn will likely be in this same position.

The other big takeaway from last night was the main event. It wasn't great or anything, but it was a Dusty Finish I could live with. Plus, Dean stays in character by leaving with the title AND him and Reigns are the buddy duo they should have been this entire time. Remember, we're close to when the Shield broke up, so for nearly a year Reigns and Ambrose were kept apart, but really, they should have been together in some form this entire time.

Man, WWE was really, really shitty for a good long while. It was so bad, and again there's hope. There's an honest to goodness tag division, the Divas are worth watching, the IC and US titles have importance, new guys are getting pushed like they should, the world title is at least somewhat interesting, and Brock is still out there. It could all come undone by shit booking, but for now, things are better than what they were.

Get this company in HHH's hands sooner rather than later.

• Like 2