DVDVR Message Board

Raw 4-20-15

MGFanJay

I'll be honest, I never even noticed the Curb Stomp was gone, but I've hated that move ever since he did it as NXT champion.  It's like Booker T's axe kick: it looks good when you can hit it reasonably organically, but week in/week out, it starts to wear out your suspension of disbelief that all of these guys have to crawl around, wait in position for someone to jump and press down on the back of their head.  Personally, I'd give Seth a submission hold for his finish.

I'll be honest, I never even noticed the Curb Stomp was gone, but I've hated that move ever since he did it as NXT champion.  It's like Booker T's axe kick: it looks good when you can hit it reasonably organically, but week in/week out, it starts to wear out your suspension of disbelief that all of these guys have to crawl around, wait in position for someone to jump and press down on the back of their head.  Personally, I'd give Seth a submission hold for his finish.

I think it work well in a followup to the corner powerbomb. I buy that the opponent would try to get up but his back would still be feeling it so he's leaning forward and there goes my forehead into the mat.

I'll be honest, I never even noticed the Curb Stomp was gone, but I've hated that move ever since he did it as NXT champion. It's like Booker T's axe kick: it looks good when you can hit it reasonably organically, but week in/week out, it starts to wear out your suspension of disbelief that all of these guys have to crawl around, wait in position for someone to jump and press down on the back of their head. Personally, I'd give Seth a submission hold for his finish.

Upper level faces in WWE rarely submit though. I suppose Rusev uses a submission finish but they usually rely on the passing out gimmick for anyone above the midcard to avoid tapping.

I think they should try out the buckle bomb as a finish. A running powerbomb into the turnbuckles should be a believable finish. Have Seth start using the pedigree when it's time to build dissension between he and HHH.

The explanation I'm hearing, which makes more sense, is that they wanted to give Rollins a finisher that didn't require as ridiculous a set-up.

But couldn't they have come up with something that doesn't require him to do the Ashlee Simpson dance from SNL?

I'll be honest, I never even noticed the Curb Stomp was gone, but I've hated that move ever since he did it as NXT champion. It's like Booker T's axe kick: it looks good when you can hit it reasonably organically, but week in/week out, it starts to wear out your suspension of disbelief that all of these guys have to crawl around, wait in position for someone to jump and press down on the back of their head. Personally, I'd give Seth a submission hold for his finish.

Upper level faces in WWE rarely submit though. I suppose Rusev uses a submission finish but they usually rely on the passing out gimmick for anyone above the midcard to avoid tapping.

That's okay, Seth isn't beating any upper level faces, anyway.

The way Punk did the curb stomp in that above GIF was exactly the way Super Dragon had done it for years.

The first time (and last time, ha) I heard "Peace of Mind" I heard it as "Piece of Mind", from the phrase "give you a piece of my mind". It made sense to me to think Rollins is taking a piece of one's mind with the stomp. Regardless, as my beloved Finch has a song called "A Piece of Mind", I just continued calling it that for a while. I think Rollins actually may have been trying to reference the band Boston with the name "Peace of Mind". His God's Last Gift move is probably named after the song by God Forbid as well, as he's known to like that band. Avada Kedavra, for those who didn't know, is named after the "Killing Curse" spell from the Harry Potter books. Yep, he's a Harry Potter nerd. Deal with it.

He could always go back to using the Paroxysm (I wonder if it's named after a song) for a finisher as well, though it's a sort of DDT, too (one not used by any wrestler in long enough that it makes one wonder if WWE banned it as well).

Piece of Mind is named after the Iron Maiden album, surely?

Avada Kedvara is just a drunk guy trying to say Abra Cadabra. If he wanted to name it after a decent cultural reference, he'd have called it the Klaatu Barada Nurgha hurrur urra ungha... I'm Done!

• Like 1

I hate to be yet another guy explaining everything about the Curb Stomp as was discussed on the Jericho podcast, but no, it wasn't named after the Maiden album, and I don't even think Seth got the reference when Jericho was talking about why he thinks it's a cool name.

Man, when I disengage from the WWE I go all the way. I forgot Raw happened AND forgot there was a PPV this weekend.

Yeah, I was one of the few that didn't think Mania was great. When I skim over the recaps for Raw and see the names Sheamus/Orton/Big Show/Kane, my eyes glaze over. I'll check in again around Summerslam. NXT and old PPV matches from the Network usually sustain me during my "who gives a shit" stretches.

• Like 2

Rollins' finisher this week was hot garbage. Just go back to the curb stomp at Extreme Rules and pretend this whole thing never happened.

Orton attacking two different heels after (relatively) big wins was stupid, but the Slater RKO was awesome. Perfect camera angle and Heath's cheesy reaction made it.

This was an ideal show to illustrate that Raw needs to be 2 hours instead of 3. There were some quality moments, but way too much filler for the main angle.