DVDVR Message Board

Raw 4-20-15

MGFanJay

At least people have actually used the Superman punch in mma fights, not that they work all that well, but I've seen them. If he didn't over-use them it would be fine. He needs more moves and less 5 signature spots and some brawling around it to fill out matches. And no I don't mean him selling babyface in peril, that would just be death.

Something I don't get: If Rollins needed a new finisher, why not just use Avada Kedavra or some variant of it? Has to be better than a midcarder DDT you might expect Sandow or Fandango to use. No offense to those guys intended.

Yeah i'd be ok with the Curb Stomp being used like the punt, and the "Abra Kadabra" aka "Getting Superkicked while on your knees" always seemed like a bad ass move for a finisher.  I think Del Rio was using it for a while as a heel too.

And yeah BLR, Titus scaring Seth with the dog bark cracked me the fk up too!  :lol:

I would guess realistically WWE doesn't want kids curb stomping each other while 'trying it at home' and are trying to protect themselves the same way they do with Cena's STF.  While I'm sure the stomp plays very little risk to a trained worker, some moron is going to either take it right on top of his head like Chad Austin or mash their face up.

I'm enjoying how the post Wrestlemania shows have absolutely no momentum whatsoever.  Clearly making all of your full timers put over or be second fiddles to part timers is working great.  

I feel like Rollins was in a pinch and probably had to think up a cool finisher quickly.  He should have called Jericho and asked him to pick something off the list of 1002 holds.  He probably would have ended up with an armbar though.

He could've used the Saskatchewan Spinning Nerve Hold.

• Like 2

At least people have actually used the Superman punch in mma fights, not that they work all that well, but I've seen them. If he didn't over-use them it would be fine. He needs more moves and less 5 signature spots and some brawling around it to fill out matches. And no I don't mean him selling babyface in peril, that would just be death.

I somewhat agree with you in that I don't think the Punch is as egregious as the stomp, but I'd actually like to see more to make 'rasslin not just "fake MMA."  There should be a reason that your Lesnars and Shamrocks can lose in a pro wrestling ring to guys they could destroy in MMA. 

I think the Curb Stomp is pretty stupid as a finisher, honestly.  It should be treated somewhat like Orton's punt and should be a cheat and a DQ.  The fucking Superman Punch, also known as "crow hopping some dude in the fucking face," should likewise get outta here. 

Those spots passed the People's Elbow litmus test.  The crowd pops huge for a move = Booking wants to make it a finisher.

Reigns should probably start using the Superman Punch as his finisher, IMO.  Crowd explodes for the set-up spot, I can believe that a man of Roman's size can KO a guy by punching him in the face really hard, and he won't ever need to have his third and fourth vertebrae fused together in ten years after one Tope Suicida Spear too many.

I somewhat agree with you in that I don't think the Punch is as egregious as the stomp, but I'd actually like to see more to make 'rasslin not just "fake MMA."  There should be a reason that your Lesnars and Shamrocks can lose in a pro wrestling ring to guys they could destroy in MMA. 

In kayfabe theory, wrestling is more chaotic and has less rules than MMA. You got guys flying off the top rope and hitting you with weapons. You got guys like Dusty Rhodes doing those MMA illegal 12 to 6 elbows. Referees in MMA are more prone to break up the action and enforce the rules to protect the fighters. If they wanted to sell it that way, WWE could easily say MMA is a step down in toughness and competition.

• Like 1

If WWE just keep giving away the WWE Network for free, how are they planning on ever making money with it?

Pretty sure people have to sign up and become subscribers to get April for free, so it's more like a buy one month get one month free kind of thing. So they aren't EXACTLY getting zero dollars from this promotion.

I think giving a month for free to new subscribers is a great promotion.  I know that's what got me to sign up!  I held off for a few months when it first launched, but as soon as a buddy of mine subscribed and I got to see how cool it was for free I was hooked, and I had to sign up also!

While they relied on The Authority too much last night (oh, the surprise--not!), I did enjoy Kane's promos.  He really gave the feeling of a mid-level executive assigned to train the snot-nosed golden child in Rollins, who thinks he already has all the answers.  Likewise, HHH came off well as the annoyed father figure trying to keep the older brother from throttling the baby of the family while the live-in cousins (J&J) watch it unfold.

That was Terry Taylor's real life in developmental when Rollins was down there.

Whether you like the Curb Stomp as a finisher or not, it's just completely fucking asinine to build it up like WWE did, have him WIN THE TITLE WITH IT AT WRESTLEMANIA, and then randomly decide "OK, we're completely scrapping this move."

• Like 2

Btw, the Jericho story wasn't just that they couldn't think of another name, but that when they passed it by Vince he just went "IT'S CALLED THE CURB STOMP. WHY WOULD IT BE CALLED ANYTHING ELSE?"

Good on Vince for that. I remember they were calling it the Peace of Mind for a hot second and I thought that was the dumbest name ever.

I would guess realistically WWE doesn't want kids curb stomping each other while 'trying it at home' and are trying to protect themselves the same way they do with Cena's STF.  While I'm sure the stomp plays very little risk to a trained worker, some moron is going to either take it right on top of his head like Chad Austin or mash their face up.

If that's true then it's a completely lateral move as a DDT is just as bad for kids to try out on each other (like some of you probably did on your brothers, or had done on you, when Jake was hot back in the day). The only plus side is an injury in the news doesn't come out attached to the name "Curb Stomp".

They called the curb stomp the Blackout for a couple of weeks before just reverting back to Curb Stomp. That's about as good a name as you're going to get for a WWE finisher these days - a little generic, but describes the effect of the move and works as a wink-and-nod to his past at the same time. That shitty DDT is, as someone else pointed out, actually a more dangerous bump, while looking much less impressive. Just bring back the stomp and call it the Blackout again.

I think the Curb Stomp is pretty stupid as a finisher, honestly.  It should be treated somewhat like Orton's punt and should be a cheat and a DQ.  The fucking Superman Punch, also known as "crow hopping some dude in the fucking face," should likewise get outta here. 

Those spots passed the People's Elbow litmus test.  The crowd pops huge for a move = Booking wants to make it a finisher.

Reigns should probably start using the Superman Punch as his finisher, IMO.  Crowd explodes for the set-up spot, I can believe that a man of Roman's size can KO a guy by punching him in the face really hard, and he won't ever need to have his third and fourth vertebrae fused together in ten years after one Tope Suicida Spear too many.

The People's Elbow is a thing of wonder because it looks so hokey but when you see Rocky out there doing it you can't help but turn into a squeeling little mark.  I don't mind the Curb Stomp and Superman Punch as, like the Punt, moves that the crowd goes nuts for but get you DQ'd.  The crowd pop goes nowhere.  The Curb Stomp is such a great heel cheat, too, that it's a shame to have it as a legit finisher. 

I also doubt they would be taking it away if not for the visibility of the champ.  And they're not worried about safety so much as perceptions of safety.  A channel surfing concern troll is gonna see a DDT as some fake wrestling move; the curb stomp looks like something that's going to harm the fabric of society.

I'm pretty sure the main reason the Bellas turned Face (even though Nikki doesn't know how to do Face commentary) is to get their Total Divas spinoff show all about themselves, their family and friends one step closer to happening.