DVDVR Message Board

DC MOVIE THREAD

RIPPA

I'm curious about what you found so terrible about it.

Well, for one.. it doesn't acknowledge the source material that inspired the look of the character. Lazy writing.

But was there anything in the image that even harkens back to the Joker of All-Star Batman and Robin? Looking back on that series, other than "having tattoos," nothing in the comic suggests the douchebaggery on display in Leto's visual portrayal. Where does the pinky ring come from?

You said, "For one ..." Okay, your next criticism?

Since it's a story where Joker's mostly in prison, I can totally accept him getting jailhouse tats and wearing a grill. It's totally a Joker move. I'm hoping for the classic suit once he gets sprung, then we wouldn't see most of the tats anyway in the eventual Batman movie. I don't think it should've been the first image. It actually would've been an awesome visual gag to see him thugged out when Waller goes to visit him in the movie.

It looks like he does wear the classic suit in the movie. There's been leaked pictures of Leto wearing it on set.  Looking at it closer, they could very well be replacement teeth like ya know someone may have knocked them out. 

I don't have to run down a list of criticisms I have with the article. Guys like Vic just come in here and say "this sucks" every day without ever really explaining their point of view.

I'm not really all that emotional about it.

Everyone's forgotten, but when we all saw Heath Ledger's Joker for the first time many years ago, a lot of fans online completely trashed it along with Ledger's casting.

• Like 1

It looks like he does wear the classic suit in the movie. There's been leaked pictures of Leto wearing it on set.  Looking at it closer, they could very well be replacement teeth like ya know someone may have knocked them out. 

I don't have to run down a list of criticisms I have with the article. Guys like Vic just come in here and say "this sucks" every day without ever really explaining their point of view.

I think juggalo is a good reason. I mean shit its visual you either like it or you don't. 

• Like 1

And that's not the Joker from the movie.

I just read that it was a pic meant to celebrate the anniversary, not what the Joker's gonna look like in the flick.

In that regard, I don't mind it as much. My initial thought would be "well, if you're celebrating why go away from iconic?" but I think that it's actually not bad as a symbolic homage of the original image. There are certain elements you just can't replicate and they use the tattoos to express those. The Hahahahahahaha for instance, and the teeth. I think the other tattoos sort of blur the message though. Maybe it was to make it more subtle, but on some level I think that defeats the purpose, or that they could have used other elements (the bleeding eyes for instance), instead of "damaged" or the jester skull thing.