DVDVR Message Board

Raw 1-19-15

MGFanJay

Where would Vince be hearing any gushing about NXT though? It seems his view on the reception of his company is severely filtered by choice. He probably gets updates on NXT a directly from HHH who should be smart enough not to be bragging to Vince about how all these people online thinks they're showing Vince up.

HUH WHAT...Nah Vince NXT is still like it was when you killed ECW. You remember how good that felt right?

The kay fab thing is amusing though. They'll break character to show they aren't heartless bastards but they'll get pissed if someone does it in public. Remember when poor Kane had to wear his mask everywhere. Dude just wants to go to Pottery Barn and he's in a polo shirt, Khaki's, and the mask and wig.

Well, there were those RUMBLINGZ~ about the main crew dogging the PPV after NXT Takeover and Cena having to sit them down and tell them that wasn't the way to go. If that actually happened, I'm sure as hell it got his attention.

I thought the "rumblings" were the main roster was super motivated not to get shown up by NXT. Which of course didn't matter much due to the shitty booking they had to overcome.

I have no idea when Brock's finished, whether it's after the Rumble or after Wrestlemania (or maybe he ends up signing an extension, I dunno) and I know there are a lot clamoring for Brock/Bryan at Mania which would be tremendous but, holy crap, I'd be totally down with a Brock babyface run before he's done.

Heyman being apprehensive at the start about Brock challenging The Authority but then being all fuck it and striding down the ramp with him at the end and catching the belt when Lesnar threw it to him was the dog's proverbials. Could dig Lesnar running through The Authority (and seeing how far into the crowd he could Suplex Jamie Noble boy) and chasing slimy shithead heel WWE Champ Rollins while Heyman delivers the shit out of some bad to the bone babyface promos. 

But, yeah, at that, Brock/Bryan would be fucking awesome too.

I'm torn.

• Like 1

I'm amazed how many people on one of the smartest wrestling message boards on the planet don't get the booking behind Ascension. They're heels who think they're better than they actually are. On Raw, they got beat up by 7 old guys. At the Rumble, they'll beat the Outlaws and talk about how this proves that they're great. It will obviously be hollow bragging, people will see through it and hate them, which is good because they're heels. It's not anywhere near something like Bo Dallas losing clean to R-Truth then never being seen again.

The title match for the Rumble is shaping up to be super fun. This is what a triple threat should be. All three guys hate each other and have their own agenda, not some de facto handicap match along party lines. Brock as the face feels like a one time thing, but it will be awesome. The Philly crowd hating on Cena will make it even better. If they go with Bryan/Lesnar (which they should), Lesnar probably slides back into more of a tweener/heel role since it's impossible for Bryan not to be more sympathetic. If you want to cement a new guy at the top, but not go the obvious route, a Lesnar win followed by a Rollins cash-in/ clean win in a somewhat legit match (not just pre-match KO/pin combo) would be an option.

One thing's for sure, sending Roman at Brock right now would be career homicide.

Where would Vince be hearing any gushing about NXT though? It seems his view on the reception of his company is severely filtered by choice. He probably gets updates on NXT a directly from HHH who should be smart enough not to be bragging to Vince about how all these people online thinks they're showing Vince up.

HUH WHAT...Nah Vince NXT is still like it was when you killed ECW. You remember how good that felt right?

What the fuck is wrong with you

I like how, in the old days, wrestlers even kayfabed their own kids.

I remember when this drew legit outrage.   Smarks knew better.  David Schultz deserved an Oscar..

All of you are all marks being worked..  Everyone is in on the joke but you.

Dr. D was all about protecting the kayfabe at any cost.

Sometimes keeping it real goes wrong.  Just ask New Jack what happens when you don't leave your gimmick in the ring.

Dr. D sounds like my crazy family in the South that reminds me of why we don't associate with them much. 

I bet Dolph is glad he did not sign that TNA contract.

He would have been okay thanks to the timing. He could just have pulled a Nash. "Release me from that contract I just signed so I can be in the Royal Rumble."

What the fuck is wrong with you

It was said in Triple H's voice. God, don't take everything so literally. See Vince ended ECW on SyFy and created NXT in its place. Thus the joke.

Well, there were those RUMBLINGZ~ about the main crew dogging the PPV after NXT Takeover and Cena having to sit them down and tell them that wasn't the way to go. If that actually happened, I'm sure as hell it got his attention.

I thought the "rumblings" were the main roster was super motivated not to get shown up by NXT. Which of course didn't matter much due to the shitty booking they had to overcome.

A couple of days later the narrative changed to "some of the guys on the PPV halfassed it during their matches to protest against the shitty creative for the main roster in comparison to what NXT gets". But I don't think anyone really took it seriously since everyone on the PPV seemed to be working really hard.

Yeah, that "dogging it" rumor died the death of implausibility about two minutes into Luke Harper and Dolph Ziggler trying to maim one another with ladders in the opener. 

• Like 1

I'm amazed how many people on one of the smartest wrestling message boards on the planet don't get the booking behind Ascension.

Oh, I get the gimmick.  They are just horrible sellers of the gimmick and are green as grass.  They aren't ready for prime time.

Going back to the HHH consoling a kid deal, it's getting a good amount of press.  Not only did the kid get HHH and Steph breaking character, but Lillian mentioned him and he got backstage.  And he got lots of merch to boot.  I really don't believe for once this was something for good PR.  As kayfabe-breaking as it is, it's just a really nice gesture.  Good for them.

Here's one article from Yahoo Sports.  I could see a kid "crying their eyes out" if it means they get similar results.  Hopefully not, but it is a solid point.  http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/the-turnstile/triple-h-breaks-character--comforts-young-crying-john-cena-fan-170321816.html

I'm amazed how many people on one of the smartest wrestling message boards on the planet don't get the booking behind Ascension. They're heels who think they're better than they actually are. On Raw, they got beat up by 7 old guys. At the Rumble, they'll beat the Outlaws and talk about how this proves that they're great. It will obviously be hollow bragging, people will see through it and hate them, which is good because they're heels.

I understand the booking, but WWE is just such a weird place that its hard to tell if this is good (Let's build these guys strong) booking or bad (Fuck! These guys suck! Let's job them out before releasing them) booking. WWE can be so fucking meta at times that I don't know where it begins and where it ends. I see the story as this:

This Team thinks they are better than the current WWE roster and the legends. According to the commentators, this team hasn't proved it yet. The Ascension will face The Outlaws at RR and will most likely win. The Ascension will probably then face NWO or possibly APA at the following PPV and pick up the victory. At WM The Ascension will probably square off against The Usos for the tag team titles and win.

Sounds solid. So what's my problem?

My problem is that WWE commentators are instructed and/or choose to act as if NXT doesn't exist. Why not mention that The Ascension beat the Usos years ago when they were both just starting out. Why not mention that The Ascension was THE TEAM to beat in NXT and had the longest tag team title reign in NXT history. This builds intrigue as people will think these guys are legit as they already beat the current tag team champions as well as kicked ass in the same promotion that brought us: Rollins, Ambrose, Reigns, Bryan, Ceasaro (for what its worth), etc. WWE should REALLY play up the FCW/NXT mythos when talkins about those guys.

It's 2015 and I don't think anyone is saying "Man, you know what!? The Usos are good, but they haven't beaten Harlem Heat- so they are great!" or " I think Goldust and Stardust are pretty solid in the ring, but they have absolutely zero wins against The Hart Foundation, so they are pretenders to the throne!". None of this is being said. So why must WWE force the narrative that acts as a bandage on the situation rather then truly fixing the situation (if there is one)? No one can tell me with a straight face that The Usos are more over NOW than they were before facing and defeating The Outlaws. What has trading wins with RVD done for Cesaro? What about Bray and Jericho trading wins? The current Ascension booking and complaints is the mirco level of a bigger issue and that is that Vince McMahon doesn't believe in this generation as much as he did the old. McMahon said it himself.

If the guy running the show thinks that the only way to get The Ascension TRULY over is by having backwards booking in an already often-destructive-and-sometimes-overly-obsessed meta environment where everyone is on a tredmill and NO ONE is allows to get TOO OVER because he/she might pull a Lesnar/Punk/Del Rio move, then its going to get the wrong results. Over the last few years WWE has taken hot acts and purposely cooled them off. But unlike Del Rio, Cesaro, Bray, Ambrose, and Reigns- WWE is cooling The Ascension off at the start. It just doesn't make sense to some.

Again, I feel that all of my Ascension posts must include the disclaimer stating that I am not an Ascension fan. These guys could get canned tonight and I wouldn't care. I never liked them and I think they suck, not because JBL told me, but because of their NXT/FCW work.

The Ascension will probably then face NWO or possibly APA at the following PPV and pick up the victory.

Hall and Simmons are done and I would be surprised to see X-Pac, Nash, or JBL ever wrestle another match for WWE.

No one can tell me with a straight face that The Usos are more over NOW than they were before facing and defeating The Outlaws.

This is quite arguable.

Makes you wonder what Triple H said to him while consoling him. I'm not being snarky either, I'm really curious.

Breaking kayfabe "Hey kid its OK, I don't really hate him, we're just having fun"

Kinda staying in character and keeping the act up but admitting Cena is awesome "Hey kid, it's OK, he's so tough he'll probably win anyway."

Does he drop the act altogether, does he encourage the kid that his hero can probably overcome the odds, etc? It's a weird situation to be in.

HHH is a dad, so paternal instinct certainly trumps kayfabe. Any real father jumps to aid a child in distress and that is what he did.

By the same token, breaking kayfabe kinda spoils Cena's victory for the boy. How will he appreciate Cena and Sting besting the heels if there is no peril or no doubt that Cena will win?

You can't tell kids that there is no such thing as Santa until they are old enough and mature enough to let go of that security net.

What are you trying to say about Santa?

Santa shafted Santino, when the latter was a kid.

It's not anywhere near something like Bo Dallas losing clean to R-Truth then never being seen again.

The loss happened in July. Bo was heavily featured until his injury in late October.

Heavily featured on Superstars, maybe.

I understand the booking, but WWE is just such a weird place that its hard to tell if this is good (Let's build these guys strong) booking or bad (Fuck! These guys suck! Let's job them out before releasing them) booking. WWE can be so fucking meta at times that I don't know where it begins and where it ends.

I understand this point, but let's at least wait until they job to the Outlaws before we call it bad booking. I also agree that The Ascension are terrible and was happy to see them leave NXT, but turning their suckiness into their gimmick instead of pretending that they're good like they did in NXT is the best possible use for them right now. They actually got some heat when they came out on Monday, which at the moment, would attest to good writing (I know, it's weird on hte main shows), since crowds were dead silent for their first few appearances.