DVDVR Message Board

Raw 1-19-15

MGFanJay

Konnor & Viktor are a perfectly fine "power & speed" tag team (I love the Total Elimination finish too, when they hit it properly), you just have to hide their weaknesses. Unfortunately, it seems like WWE doesn't know how to do this. Can we just give Heyman the book of the tag teams when Lesnar leaves? And on that note, after last night, I really don't want Lesnar to leave. He looked the best he's ever been last night, like he actually enjoyed what he was doing for once. Maybe he's a sucker for nostalgia? :P

But, yeah, this entire post will all be for naught when the Rumble comes and Ascension loses to the Outlaws, and hardly anyone even cares. If this shit can happen to Ascension (and Bo Dallas), it will most definitely happen to Neville and any other call-ups from NXT. It's not because they "suck", or whatever reason you want to blame it on - I really do believe that Vince is jealous of the success these NXT guys are having in a development territory. And yeah, whoever posted the picture of Heath Slater in response to "they'll get over because of this legends stuff" is right on the money. This isn't designed to get them over, it's designed to get a nice pop from the crowd when the legends return and get their revenge for the badmouthing. And it succeed, in that right.

And no one cares about Barrett anymore, can we just accept that? He only got the title because Ziggler didn't use WWE to book his comedy gigs.

Makes you wonder what Triple H said to him while consoling him. I'm not being snarky either, I'm really curious.

Breaking kayfabe "Hey kid its OK, I don't really hate him, we're just having fun"

Kinda staying in character and keeping the act up but admitting Cena is awesome "Hey kid, it's OK, he's so tough he'll probably win anyway."

Does he drop the act altogether, does he encourage the kid that his hero can probably overcome the odds, etc? It's a weird situation to be in.

HHH is a dad, so paternal instinct certainly trumps kayfabe. Any real father jumps to aid a child in distress and that is what he did.

By the same token, breaking kayfabe kinda spoils Cena's victory for the boy. How will he appreciate Cena and Sting besting the heels if there is no peril or no doubt that Cena will win?

You can't tell kids that there is no such thing as Santa until they are old enough and mature enough to let go of that security net.

What are you trying to say about Santa?

The disavowing of Santa is an important part of the growing up process.  Santa knows we still believe.

You really can't turn him heel. Look at this.

un1xMm1.gif

When I was about 20, my cousin 16 and my brother 12, WCW came to town for a Nitro (Note, this wasn't even good Nitro it was mid-Russo shitty shooty Nitro!), I had tickets but they didn't.  About an hour before the show, my cousin broke down and decided to buy him and my brother tickets, right after buying them, a guy in a suit came out and asked if they were coming to the show tonight, they said yes and the man said "Here, compliments of Mr. Goldberg!"  So, all night long, my brother and cousin are DIRECTLY behind the announce table, repeatedly on camera all night long, almost get trampled by the Harris Twins, have a piece of table go flying past their heads (If you ever watch an old Nitro, and see a guy point directly into the camera, then do the RVD point, that's my cousin!).  So, later that night, about 1 am or so, my mom goes past the room where my cousin was staying and sees he's still up, she goes in and asks him "Can't sleep?" and my cousin replies "Auntie Liz, that was the greatest night of my life!"

I was reminded of this, tonight, when I saw Cena grab that kid and hug him.  I thought "My God, that kid just had the greatest moment of his life."  And that is why, I may get bored with occasionally, I may get disgusted with it occasionally, but I will never completely not be a fan of pro wrestling.

That is a great story, Caley!

The sad thing is that even after Cena doing something king sized like this, legit heat for him will still be en vogue..

Maybe the kid is a fan of the Ascension and he was upset that Triple H let his buddies beat them up.

If this is the case then the WWE needs to put together a wrasslin version of No Child Left Behind because this is unacceptable.

The Ascension is only as good as the jobbers bumping for their dangerously green offense.   Asian Jobber Made Of Rubber With No Discernable Pain Receptors from last week's asswhipping deserved to be paid extra for making Connor and Viktor look like a trillion dollars.

I am not implying anything of the sort but that being said, I am not so sure I would've enjoyed growing up Hart or Von Erich.  I would've turned out to be an awesome wrestler but there would definitely be a light on my Christmas tree that just won't light.

This needs to be a framistan.  Don't even care what phrase it replaces.  Do people use the sentence "I am a drugged-to-the-gills menace to myself and those around me" very often?  'Cause that would be perfect.

I like how, in the old days, wrestlers even kayfabed their own kids.

I remember when this drew legit outrage.   Smarks knew better.  David Schultz deserved an Oscar..

All of you are all marks being worked..  Everyone is in on the joke but you.

Dr. D was all about protecting the kayfabe at any cost.

Sometimes keeping it real goes wrong.  Just ask New Jack what happens when you don't leave your gimmick in the ring.

Let's talk about the real travesty. I know we all love Dean Ambrose but since when does a fucking reigning champion enter the ring first and with no fanfare in our modern times?

If you are going to job out Bad News Barrett to the Lunatic Fringe. at least pretend like Wade is a title holder with all of the rights and privileges due therein.

How the fuck does the untitled Bray Wyatt hold several clean wins over Ambrose, but Ambrose goes over BNB tidy as a sheet with no chicanery?

HHH hates anyone who had a better rookie year in the company than him. Wade was the only guy to get pushed since forever that HHH couldn't leach heat off of.

What? You guys have your increasingly shitty theories on why some guys get treated like shit, there's mine. :(

I am not implying anything of the sort but that being said, I am not so sure I would've enjoyed growing up Hart or Von Erich.  I would've turned out to be an awesome wrestler but there would definitely be a light on my Christmas tree that just won't light.

This needs to be a framistan.  Don't even care what phrase it replaces.  Do people use the sentence "I am a drugged-to-the-gills menace to myself and those around me" very often?  'Cause that would be perfect.

"grabbing the brass ring" would be a STRONG contender.

Was HHH consoling the kid on TV at all?  It was during the match so I imagine it wasn't.  But I agree that Cena should have done the consoling instead of HHH.  Would have kept the kayfabe just fine.  But still, between that and Cena's celebration at the end I can't help but have that warm fuzzy feeling you get when you see feel-good moments.  Good for them.

The WWE isn't wrestling, just ask them. They are sports entertainment. They have no wrestlers. The have superstars, divas, and performers.

What is this kayfabe of which you speak?

ETA of "Triple H consoles crying smark in front row after Daniel Bryan's loss" parody news story?

Can someone just photoshop the kid to be Zach Ryder?  And HHH to be Harvey Keitel at the end of RESERVOIR DOGS?

Either way, the follow-up would be that HHH smacked the twenty-something guy with a neckbeard and a C.M. Punk T-shirt and told him and his friend Mark to quit watching and to go home to his parents' basement and mom's computer to complain on the Internet and not have sex. Because that's how Those People are.

I really do believe that Vince is jealous of the success these NXT guys are having in a development territory.

What does this even mean? What "success" are they having outside of people on the internet writing nice things about them? I haven't seen where NXT house shows are doing great business or that NXT is driving Network subscriptions.

• Like 1

I really do believe that Vince is jealous of the success these NXT guys are having in a development territory.

What does this even mean? What "success" are they having outside of people on the internet writing nice things about them? I haven't seen where NXT house shows are doing great business or that NXT is driving Network subscriptions.

Is critical success a ridiculous concept to apply to pro wrestling?

That's a serious question that probably deserves its own thread.

• Like 1

The Ascension thing doesn't really bother me.  I mean, they were pretty bad in NXT and only managed to get over, at all, when the crowd figured out that Konnor  yells "Yah!" every time he throws a kick or punch and started to chant "Yah" along with it.

They seriously were getting the old Hack Meyers "Shah!" treatment? Oh lord, I hope that catches on.

Where would Vince be hearing any gushing about NXT though? It seems his view on the reception of his company is severely filtered by choice. He probably gets updates on NXT a directly from HHH who should be smart enough not to be bragging to Vince about how all these people online thinks they're showing Vince up.

I don't know how NXT can be expected to get subscriptions when they're never promoted outside of their women's champ jobbing in two minutes.  If they were having their storylines brought up on Raw, and being allowed to work a 10 minute match every week then you could say maybe they should be getting a few additional subs.

• Like 1