DVDVR Message Board

SEPT WRESTLING DISCUSSION THREAD

RIPPA

So, this. I think it's bullshit but worth discussion nonetheless.

*edited because the link won't post*

Basically, there is a Washington Post blog about a rumor that Brock was having heart issues, and that's why he wasn't on Raw. They are claiming he looked "bad" during his match at NoC.

So, this. I think it's bullshit but worth discussion nonetheless.

*edited because the link won't post*

Basically, there is a Washington Post blog about a rumor that Brock was having heart issues, and that's why he wasn't on Raw. They are claiming he looked "bad" during his match at NoC.

Leading to John Cena beating Brock at HIAC with a Heart Punch

• Like 1

I just told my kitten that if he didn't behave, ze Baron~! was gonna put the feared German brain claw on him. The kitten looked confused. I'll have to YouTube some stuff for him.

He's just a sweaty bastard and his cardio could be a touch better. He looked better at NoC than he did at SummerSlam, when he was a giant sweat-bomb while Cena (who he had been beating the crap out of) didn't break the least bit of a sweat.

Helluva way to talk about a man's cat ...

• Like 4

Oh shoot, Arda Ocal got a broadcasting job with the WWE, according to his Twitter. Good for him. Looks like his new name is "Kyle Edwards".

Kyle Edwards? The only way his name could be more white would be if he was given the name Graham Wellington. With the name Kyle Edwards he will no longer have a problem renting an apartment on Park Street.

• Like 1

Oh shoot, Arda Ocal got a broadcasting job with the WWE, according to his Twitter.  Good for him.  Looks like his new name is "Kyle Edwards".

Good for him!  Now I can stop thinking of Ocal as the saddest story.  Guy creates a show on The Score to follow WWE programming in which talking heads discuss the preceding wrestling show, gets Renee Paquette to host it with him.  The Score gets sold, Paquette gets hired on to WWE (And her name changed), Ocal wishes her the best of luck says "Hope to see you there some day!" and two months later he's a contributing reporter on The Weather Network...but at least now it has a happy ending.

• Like 1

Brock's always been a heavy sweater.

No kidding - every time he comes to the ring for a segment on RAW, I immediately notice how his upper lip is just drenched in sweat.

He needs his kickass beard back that he had in UFC.

It's always fun the guess the segment when they're just clearly starting to fill time until the main event.  It usually involves Heath Slater.

The crappy thing about that is that they could be using those three hours to actually get guys over by letting them wrestle extended matches. I may have mentioned this already in the Nitro thread in the Network folder (which, I am taking a break from since I spent like a week straight watching Nitro from the time I got home til the time I went to bed, and got burned out right as Hall and Nash debuted and shit started heating up)-- anyway, the thing about Nitro was that even though the announcers did nothing but talk about the NWO the entire time, they at least gave time to the undercard to shine in the ring. Sure, there was still a ceiling for those guys, but it's maddening that WWE would rather give time to a bunch of meaningless comedy or diva segments instead of letting them have decent, competitive, TV matches, that would do SO much more for them.  Take Rey-- he was one of the most over WCW talents of all, and I swear to God, I don't think I saw him cut a single promo or "act" in some shitty vignette from 1996-1999 (which, let's be real, The Filthy Animals weren't going to move the needle when the WWF was as hot as it was). Even my non-fan friends know Rey from the Revenge game! He's still over to this day, and he hasn't even had human knees since 2005! There's a reason that everyone from Jericho to Rey to the Radicals to Raven  were over as soon as they hit WWF TV despite the fact that they had never even gotten a second of airtime with them before they were brought in.

• Like 2

Brock's always been a heavy sweater.

No kidding - every time he comes to the ring for a segment on RAW, I immediately notice how his upper lip is just drenched in sweat.

He needs his kickass beard back that he had in UFC.

No more beards. Even Ozzie sang about this ...

• Like 2

So was rovert the dvdvr version of that Dolphins guy from reddit? :lol:

It's always fun the guess the segment when they're just clearly starting to fill time until the main event.  It usually involves Heath Slater.

The crappy thing about that is that they could be using those three hours to actually get guys over by letting them wrestle extended matches. I may have mentioned this already in the Nitro thread in the Network folder (which, I am taking a break from since I spent like a week straight watching Nitro from the time I got home til the time I went to bed, and got burned out right as Hall and Nash debuted and shit started heating up)-- anyway, the thing about Nitro was that even though the announcers did nothing but talk about the NWO the entire time, they at least gave time to the undercard to shine in the ring. Sure, there was still a ceiling for those guys, but it's maddening that WWE would rather give time to a bunch of meaningless comedy or diva segments instead of letting them have decent, competitive, TV matches, that would do SO much more for them.  Take Rey-- he was one of the most over WCW talents of all, and I swear to God, I don't think I saw him cut a single promo or "act" in some shitty vignette from 1996-1999 (which, let's be real, The Filthy Animals weren't going to move the needle when the WWF was as hot as it was). Even my non-fan friends know Rey from the Revenge game! He's still over to this day, and he hasn't even had human knees since 2005! There's a reason that everyone from Jericho to Rey to the Radicals to Raven  were over as soon as they hit WWF TV despite the fact that they had never even gotten a second of airtime with them before they were brought in.

Agreed.  For all its faults, WCW was good at making the undercard titles mean something by having guys feud over them in angles that made the belts actually seem important to the people vying for them and gave them promo time and everything.  They didn't have that much more tv time than the WWE does now and had probably twice the guys on the roster, but even with massive NWO segments they still let tons of the undercard wrestlers fight regularly.

• Like 2

It also helps that the WCW midcarders weren't working the same exact match as every other WCW midcarder. You'd get a cruiserweight bout, then two guys trying to punch through each others' faces, then a nice matwork match. You'd also get matches with clear clashes between technique (as when Dean Malenko would wrestle a Mexican cruiserweight). 

It's hard to tell the WWE midcarders apart when they're all wrestling the same formula match. I fully believe that one of the reasons that both the Shield and the Wyatts got over (in a multitude of reasons) is that they were wrestling trios matches that had just enough of a different structure from typical tag matches to catch everyone's eyes. 

• Like 4