DVDVR Message Board

AUGUST WRESTLING DISCUSSION

RIPPA

The only way that Ryback video could've gotten better was if he demanded Curtis Axel to bring him Ryan Gosling's white dick.

I hope people get that reference, and don't think I just thought that would be awesome without context.

• Like 1

Are we not celebrating that Ryback cut a promo where he pretended that he is fast friends with Babe Ruth (You might know him as th Bambino, by the way)?

Because that is coke-Hogan levels of fantastic and this video needs to be put on the syllabus at the Performance Center.

Like, how people slow down someone on Youtube and they sound drunk.  From beginning to end, this was Ryback doing that to a Hogan promo without any audio tricks.  How great is that?  How over would a guy get doing "slowed down Hogan" for everyone in the locker room?

HOW MANY OF YOU ARE GOING TO BE DOING SLOWED-DOWN-HOGAN IN THE SHOWER TONIGHT?????

• Like 1

Bullet Club just got alot less cooler (I assume this has been discussed ad nauseam, I didnt read that thread so sue me)

When was Bullet Club ever cool in the first place? Most of those guys would have been carrying Vincent's bags to Thunder tapings in 1999.

• Like 2

Bullet Club just got alot less cooler (I assume this has been discussed ad nauseam, I didnt read that thread so sue me)

When was Bullet Club ever cool in the first place? Most of those guys would have been carrying Vincent's bags to Thunder tapings in 1999.

It's Japan. I guess that's supposed to mean something. Workrate...stars...yadda yadda.

More talk about DA BIG GUY. I damn near lost it when he did the Ryyyyyybaaaaaackkkkkk....zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz while still mouthing rrrruuuullllllllleeeeesss at the end.

It's hard to understand how badly WWF wasted Hercules until you see him in early-90's WCW working a faux-Japanese gimmick and using a thunderfire power bomb as a finish...

Holy shit. Its Jason and Fonzie as the referee. Is this WCW or mid 90's ECW?

On the Ryback note, I still think he should have won the 2013 Rumble and went to 'Mania to dethrone Punk. But, that's just me. I thought that feud was white hot, at the time, until Punk had to take a little time off. The TLC match they had on RAW wasn't that bad, either.

I just love Punk and Ryback, though.

The SID vs Hercules match at MSG is really surreal. He's one of those guys you forget is dead sometimes and then you remember and get pissed off. I kind of wish I could read Meltzer's bio on him, presuming there was such a thing.

I love showing people the finish of that match.  I believe Hercules may have been on his way out?  On the powerbomb he puts his hands behind his head as if lounging, basically chills during the pin, then rolls out, basically no selling it as if he's saying "Alright, fuck it, I'm going home." 

Didn't Ryback have a really fun Sheamus match a couple of months ago?

Everyone has a really fun Sheamus match. Seriously, try it. The Great Khali? Really fun Sheamus match. Jinder Mahal? Really fun Sheamus match. That social media guy Del Rio slapped the shit out of? Really fun Sheamus match. Frankie the parrot? Really fun Sheamus match. It's uncanny.

• Like 2

The SID vs Hercules match at MSG is really surreal. He's one of those guys you forget is dead sometimes and then you remember and get pissed off. I kind of wish I could read Meltzer's bio on him, presuming there was such a thing.

I love showing people the finish of that match.  I believe Hercules may have been on his way out?  On the powerbomb he puts his hands behind his head as if lounging, basically chills during the pin, then rolls out, basically no selling it as if he's saying "Alright, fuck it, I'm going home." 

Yeah, that was him 'doing the honours' on the way out. Glad to see Herc, or TMH, as I call him, getting some love here. Very underrated dude.

We now have confirmation that the whole "Big Guy" thing is because Ryback refers to his dick as that backstage to the boys. (Also, my two cents: Ryback is perfectly fine in the ring, sells well for a monster, good character, but I can't see him touching anywhere above midcard anytime soon). 

I just thought about Jake in Beyond the Mat and all the shit he's been through. He really doesn't deserve to go out like this, hope he recovers.

His bully character was hilarious. I could watch those segments all day.

Couldn't agree more.  That shit was hilarious.

I really did not like Ryback when they were pushing him to the moon, and he wasn't ready, but he's much more capable at this point.  Especially if they'd let him cut up in quick promos and show off some of the humor like in that hospital video.  And he needs to face down the Goldberg chants.  It's really a shame that there's not much of an "upper mid-card" anymore, because that's where he belongs for now.  

The coolest response to the Goldberg chants he gave was a fucking shoulder roll. With just one motion of his shoulder signaling a big lariat-o, the crowd went from 50 lonely keyboard warriors trying to get themselves over with a dated chant, to a few thousand WRESTLING FANS chanting FEED ME MORE.

• Like 1

Herc, like Tenta, is the sort of guy who suffered for years due to the bs that is workrate dogmatism.

Oh my shit, Earthquake vs Mark Henry would probably explode the world. Add Tenta to Jae's list of guys who would be in the main event mix today.

Definitely Black Blood, because BJH had been away from the national scene for a few years at that point. What the hell was that gimmick supposed to be exactly, anyway?

A French Revolution executioner. Iirc, his top rope knee/drop was called thr guillotine.

Knowing full well this is putting too much thought into 1991 WCW booking:

I think Hercules as Super Invader and Billy Jack as Black Blood both made sense from a pro wrestling standpoint.  You had a well-known American wrestler pretending to be some sort of deadly Asian force, billed from Thailand yet wearing a Rising Sun headband over his mask.  Not exactly the most brilliant ruse, to be sure, but Hercules had Harley Race backing him, and they were both smart enough to know the average wrestler would be easily fooled by something so simple.

With Billy Jack Haynes, you had a guy known for being well-meaning and soft-spoken (if you weren't aware of his heel turn in Portland the year before) and who let his actions speak for him, but certainly had more guts than brains.  The sort who was easy fodder, almost too easy, for Kevin Sullivan to brainwash into thinking he was a French executioner.  Again, knowing Sullivan's history and how wrestling works in general, Black Blood makes all the sense in the world to me looking back.  If they had ever gone as far as unmasking either Super Invader or Black Blood to reveal their true identities, you know Sting would have been shocked and dismayed by it all.

• Like 1