DVDVR Message Board

AUGUST WRESTLING DISCUSSION

RIPPA

Geez, when they ask me to count back from 100, I am lucky if I make it to 91, let alone recite an introspecrive soliloquy. Ryback is a monster. That said, a good morphine drip is one of life's pleasures, it really is. When they ask how much pain you are in on a scale of 1 to 10 with 1 being the least, always start at 7 and go up from there.

mmmmm,

RAF

WWE counts Cena's win over Mysterio as a reign.

That reminds me. Remember when they stripped Punk of the title and scheduled a tournament around crowning a new champ. Put it on Mysterio in his last taste of the main event. Had a week to think about what they did and hotshot the title right back onto Cena? Memories....

They literally put the belt on Cena like 10 minutes later. Rey didn't even get the dignity of going to sleep as WWE Champion.

People give Hogan shit for some of the douchey things he did as a face but I think Cena swooping in and taking the belt from Rey trumps anything Hogan did.
Did Cena lose in the first round of that tournament? The night where Rey won the title and then Cena went to the GM and whined about how he needed his rematch and it wasn't fair that he never got his rematch, so he got to face Mysterio for the title on the same night Mysterio won the title really turned me off of WWE's booking of Cena. Up until that point, I could understand that Cena was going to win, and would sometimes act like a dick. I just don't know what sort of privileged, sociopathic monster could script Cena to whine to the authorities about how unfair he was being treated and demanding he get a chance to fight a guy 1/4 his size right after that guy had a match, and think that this comes across as a likable or even respectable person.

Reading between the lines, I think Rey signed a new contract just before this happened, so he probably demanded a world-title reign and they gave him one, albeit only for 90 minutes or whatever.

Edit: For what it's worth, I did really like that Rey/Cena match.

No. Cena wasn't in the tournament because Vince was gonn fire him that night for losing to Punk. But then Triple H informed Vince that the board of directors was throwing him out. But still, no, Cena wasn't in the tournament and was owed a title match.

Who said Reigns was good? This isn't his third repackage however and he connects with the fans. You are giving me a "Pinto, Yugo or Chevette" choice, they are all hideous choices and I will take none of them. He's entertaining on Twitter...that's it.

Ryback was not very good ("horrendous" is overstating the matter) in the ring and on the mic when he was put up against Punk.

He's better now, but since his main-event push failed, he's been in a heel tag team that doesn't get shots against the face tag champs.

• Like 1

Who said Reigns was good? This isn't his third repackage however and he connects with the fans. You are giving me a "Pinto, Yugo or Chevette" choice, they are all hideous choices and I will take none of them. He's entertaining on Twitter...that's it.

He is good in the ring and consistently produces good TV matches. It is not his fault he was shoved into main events too early.

WWE would be better off if they had him beat Punk at HITC. Or had him win the Rumble and beat Big Show for the World Belt. 

He has proven to be more reliable than anybody else they have pushed in the last three years. 

Your opinion, that's why we are here. I don't see him being good in the ring at all, just another plodding roid guy. I can't even say "maybe I'm missing something" as fans didn't care about his main event run, no ratings/ppv spikes happened, sitting on the hands occurred in the crowd.

Ryback was not very good ("horrendous" is overstating the matter) in the ring and on the mic when he was put up against Punk.

Aside from the TLC bout, I abhorred all of the Punk-Ryback matches. Yet I enjoyed Ryback's matches with Cena just enough to chalk the Punk stuff up to poor chemistry and call it an anomaly. 

Ryback is horrendous in the ring, on the mic, yet because he's an oddball on twitter he should be champ?

I have to admit, that would be good enough for me.  I'd much rather watch a great character/awful wrestler than a great wrestler/awful character.

• Like 1

Your opinion, that's why we are here. I don't see him being good in the ring at all, just another plodding roid guy. I can't even say "maybe I'm missing something" as fans didn't care about his main event run, no ratings/ppv spikes happened, sitting on the hands occurred in the crowd.

He was very over as a main event face before he went 9 PPVs without a win and HIAC 2012 had a very significant increase in buys from the previous year. Also, I'm guessing you missed the Raw after Summerslam.

Ryback is a perfectly good tag team wrestler. As a singles guy, he has an awesome spot where he builds heat and then he had his legs cut out from underneath him. When it came down to him and Cena in the Rumble, it should have been Ryback winning, but the plans called for Cena to wrestle the Rock for the WWE Title.

Ryback's matches with Cena were 6 months and a heel turn later than the matches with Punk. Both helped, as he was more experienced in WWE main-event matches, and working heel let him highlight his advantages, (power, hurty-looking offense,) and de-emphasize his selling, which was a weakness at the time.