DVDVR Message Board

AUGUST WRESTLING DISCUSSION

RIPPA

Heyman explained it perfectly on the newest Stone Cold Podcast. The WWE is all about the face being the be all end all. Everything revolves around them. You know if something happens they'll get their revenge. In the NWA, it was about the journey of the face trying to get that revenge.

Was just about to post that. WWF booking is about the destination, NWA booking is about the journey

The most amazing thing about this is that just about a year ago the WWE embarked on one of their most amazing journey's ever (the Daniel Bryan climb to the title).  Whether it was what they planned or not, that was the ultimate example of southern style wrestling.  

EDIT:  I should say the ultimate example of the "journey" not just the generic term southern style wrestling.

• Like 1

There's nothing wrong with protecting the company gravy train. If Wyatt can't bounce back from that then he doesn't deserve a top spot.

Yeah, if Wyatt can't bounce back from being red hot and then given absolutely nothing to do other than job then that's his fucking problem!  If you don't realize what the problem is with not pushing anyone strongly outside of Cena then look at the numbers. They made a ton of budget cuts. People are losing their jobs. They are begging people to buy the network. People are simply not interested. I'm not blaming it all on Cena but that's part of it. "same old shit" is appropriate. There is nothing captivating about their current storylines.

• Like 4

Vince McMahon was responsible for how strong John Cena was portrayed on this week's WWE RAW. Vince wrote and put together all material for Cena this week.

Vince reportedly felt that with Brock Lesnar dominating their match at SummerSlam, some of Cena's fans may lose faith in him unless he made an immediate, strong statement on RAW.

Oh fuck you, Vince. You short sighted old fuck.

There's nothing wrong with protecting the company gravy train. If Wyatt can't bounce back from that then he doesn't deserve a top spot.

I think Vince could arguably have a point if the plan is for Brock to win at NOC.  It took 16 suplexes to keep Cena down, so it is in his character to be back the next night if at all possible, and if the plan is just to have him squashed again, you might as well build him back up strong before it happens.

Now, if the plan at NOC is supercenawinslol, then it doesn't make sense to bring him back strong instead of giving him a "journey" back to the top.

• Like 1

Or have Cena come out on Raw visibly injured and shaken. Or better yet, have the authority put him into a match against Wyatt when he shouldn't be cleared and have the Wyatts manhandle him. Wyatt gets the win he deserved, Cena get the sympathy build. Everybody wins. 

• Like 5

Or have Cena come out on Raw visibly injured and shaken. Or better yet, have the authority put him into a match against Wyatt when he shouldn't be cleared and have the Wyatts manhandle him. Wyatt gets the win he deserved, Cena get the sympathy build. Everybody wins. 

But that eats into the idea Cena can hang with Lesnar at Night of Champions.

Every bit of offense Cena gets in this rematch eats into Brock and weakens him for his rumored headlining slot at Wrestlemania. Putting the title back on Cena at this point is probably the dumbest thing they can do. If they make this another 15-minute squash, that's fine, but anything else hurts Lesnar.

Fantasy booking time~!: Brock should've told HHH to hang it up his ass and then go home with the belt. HHH panics and starts a UFC-style interim title. Cena doesn't wanna wrestle for it, 'cause it seems cheap, but he does so anyway because he's a Company Man. Interim title as company focus until a unification match at Royal Rumble, where Brock squashes the interim champ flat to get even stronger going into Wrestlemania.

But that eats into the idea Cena can hang with Lesnar at Night of Champions.

Every bit of offense Cena gets in this rematch eats into Brock and weakens him for his rumored headlining slot at Wrestlemania. Putting the title back on Cena at this point is probably the dumbest thing they can do. If they make this another 15-minute squash, that's fine, but anything else hurts Lesnar.

Fantasy booking time~!: Brock should've told HHH to hang it up his ass and then go home with the belt. HHH panics and starts a UFC-style interim title. Cena doesn't wanna wrestle for it, 'cause it seems cheap, but he does so anyway because he's a Company Man. Interim title as company focus until a unification match at Royal Rumble, where Brock squashes the interim champ flat to get even stronger going into Wrestlemania.

Does this count as Cena's 16th reign or is it more like 15.5? 

WWE counts Cena's win over Mysterio as a reign. 

That reminds me. Remember when they stripped Punk of the title and scheduled a tournament around crowning a new champ. Put it on Mysterio in his last taste of the main event. Had a week to think about what they did and hotshot the title right back onto Cena? Memories....

- More focus on family/relationships - The southern promotions were ruled with families whether it be The Armstrong's, The Fuller's, The Anderson's or others. The WWF never really got that.

This! Whether it was family members or just friends, in Southern wrestling guys always had other guys they could count on. In the WWF/E this has never been the case, nobody is boys with anybody else until you're told they are out of the blue. I remember recently, with Big Show's turn (during the Laurenitis shit), John Cena made a big deal about his friend turning his back on him. Before Cena mentioned it, they were never portrayed as having anything to do with one another. It's why War Games always worked for me, the faces were down with one another vs. the heel stable, while Survivor Series was always just some random dudes tossed together with no prior association. 

- More focus on family/relationships - The southern promotions were ruled with families whether it be The Armstrong's, The Fuller's, The Anderson's or others. The WWF never really got that.

This! Whether it was family members or just friends, in Southern wrestling guys always had other guys they could count on. In the WWF/E this has never been the case, nobody is boys with anybody else until you're told they are out of the blue. I remember recently, with Big Show's turn (during the Laurenitis shit), John Cena made a big deal about his friend turning his back on him. Before Cena mentioned it, they were never portrayed as having anything to do with one another. It's why War Games always worked for me, the faces were down with one another vs. the heel stable, while Survivor Series was always just some random dudes tossed together with no prior association. 

You don't know that. How do you know that Conquistador Uno and Arn Anderson didn't have beers together after a long day on the road? Who's to say that Ken Patera isn't the godfather of Scott Casey's children?

• Like 3

That reminds me. Remember when they stripped Punk of the title and scheduled a tournament around crowning a new champ. Put it on Mysterio in his last taste of the main event. Had a week to think about what they did and hotshot the title right back onto Cena? Memories....

They literally put the belt on Cena like 10 minutes later. Rey didn't even get the dignity of going to sleep as WWE Champion.

They literally put the belt on Cena like 10 minutes later. Rey didn't even get the dignity of going to sleep as WWE Champion.

People give Hogan shit for some of the douchey things he did as a face but I think Cena swooping in and taking the belt from Rey trumps anything Hogan did.

• Like 3

You don't know that. How do you know that Conquistador Uno and Arn Anderson didn't have beers together after a long day on the road? Who's to say that Ken Patera isn't the godfather of Scott Casey's children?

I have no idea why this struck me like It did, but I literally laughed out loud. 

People give Hogan shit for some of the douchey things he did as a face but I think Cena swooping in and taking the belt from Rey trumps anything Hogan did.
Did Cena lose in the first round of that tournament? The night where Rey won the title and then Cena went to the GM and whined about how he needed his rematch and it wasn't fair that he never got his rematch, so he got to face Mysterio for the title on the same night Mysterio won the title really turned me off of WWE's booking of Cena. Up until that point, I could understand that Cena was going to win, and would sometimes act like a dick. I just don't know what sort of privileged, sociopathic monster could script Cena to whine to the authorities about how unfair he was being treated and demanding he get a chance to fight a guy 1/4 his size right after that guy had a match, and think that this comes across as a likable or even respectable person.

Reading between the lines, I think Rey signed a new contract just before this happened, so he probably demanded a world-title reign and they gave him one, albeit only for 90 minutes or whatever.

Edit: For what it's worth, I did really like that Rey/Cena match.