DVDVR Message Board

2014 NFL PRESEASON

RIPPA

Bills cut THAD, sign Carson Palmer's brother.

*sigh*

Reading the Browns deadspin preview has given me some hope for the Bills season. The reason being that the Browns have the Bills first round pick next year due to the Sammy Watkins  trade. It would be the most Browns thing ever to have the Bills make the playoffs and not get a top pick. I know its grasping at straws, because other than that I got nothing. . .

I wonder if this is salary cap related, Mankins is in the fourth year of a 6/51 deal. He wasn't starting (Cannon and Connolly are projected to start at Guard), so he was apparently expendable.

Checking his contract page, this move costs the Patriots $4.25 million on the Cap this year and 4 million on the cap next year, but the Bucs are on the hook for the remaining $20.25 million. 

Wright is a min-sal guy basically, so.. unless the Pats either A) Really need the cap space for future years (Future blowing up of the roster?), B) Really needed a warm body at TE (A lot of 2 RB sets coming?) or C) Think Mankins is Dunzo, or really, A-C combined, I'm not sure this makes sense.

Reading the Browns deadspin preview has given me some hope for the Bills season. The reason being that the Browns have the Bills first round pick next year due to the Sammy Watkins  trade. It would be the most Browns thing ever to have the Bills make the playoffs and not get a top pick. I know its grasping at straws, because other than that I got nothing. . .

I'd be happy with the Bills winning enough games so that the traded pick doesn't end up being the first one overall. That's about the extent of my hope for this season.

Seriously the suspension is bad enough now that we know that he barely failed a test that tests at level that is much more strict than any other institution tests at, it looks even worse with the whole Ray Rice wrist slap.  My question is what the fuck took so long?  Wouldn't it have been better for every single entity involved to know this before now?  Gordon wouldn't have to practice doing something he wouldn't be doing.  The Browns can give his reps to someone who would actually play.  The NFL could move on with more important things like wondering who is being served by suspending players for doing non addictive drugs that are neither performance enhancing or detracting.  I'm not even saying they should stop testing, but they should probably stop testing at a level that is more strict than it is for the military.

Is the long delay on the ruling going to knock him out of the pre season next year?  I would assume so.

According to Schefter, yes it will.  He can ask for reinstatement after the season and they can take a couple months to figure that out too.

To continue the tradition in Arizona, the Cardinals in talking with former Steeler James Harrison.     In about 5 years, all you Cardinal fans are going to be so excited when Roesthliberger is your starting QB because all former Steelers seem to treat Arizona like a retirement community.   :D

Seriously the suspension is bad enough now that we know that he barely failed a test that tests at level that is much more strict than any other institution tests at, it looks even worse with the whole Ray Rice wrist slap.  My question is what the fuck took so long?  Wouldn't it have been better for every single entity involved to know this before now?  Gordon wouldn't have to practice doing something he wouldn't be doing.  The Browns can give his reps to someone who would actually play.  The NFL could move on with more important things like wondering who is being served by suspending players for doing non addictive drugs that are neither performance enhancing or detracting.  I'm not even saying they should stop testing, but they should probably stop testing at a level that is more strict than it is for the military.

As a Browns fan, I've been following this pretty closely. The co-host of our team-affiliated Cleveland Browns daily radio program basically had a meltdown at the beginning of the show regarding the same issue.

In early May, his suspension was handed down and he quickly appealed. Once the NFL handed down the suspension, they didn't have much say in how things went from there. In regards to the time between this appeal (which was originally scheduled for mid-July), at my best, educated guess is that this time was spent by Gordon in getting his representatives (hiring the top lawyer in these issues), getting his materials together, records, formulating possible arguments, etc. This opinion was shared by the usually knowledgable host, and that seems to be the most logicial answer.

His appeal hearing with the arbitrator was originally scheduled for mid-July and was pushed back. There's a number of reasons it could have been pushed back, by Gordon's representatives to prepare additional materials, at the request of the arbitrator for any number of reasons, etc.   

Once the hearing happened, two things happened. One, the arbitrator requested more information and communicated with more sources after the hearing, for reasons that aren't public. Two, the NFLPA may or may not have been trying to work out a settlement in regards to the suspension (attempting to get eight games instead of a year, etc.) Gordon publicly thanked the NFLPA, so I would guess, at some point, the NFLPA was attempting to negotiate something, which further delayed the ruling.

Today, the appeal was ruled on, and it was denied, meaning the suspension now officially stands.

I think the problem stems from the NFL not announcing the suspension in May. They should have announced his suspension, and that Gordon is appealing the decision. The NFL wasn't the one sitting on their rears on this one.

The only chance now, according to PFT, would be filing an injuction. If so, it probably wouldn't work, and if it did, would only serve as a temporary delay to the suspension.

Either way, you'd have to be a complete moron (or, suffering from some sort of addition problem) if you can't stay clean (or only congregate around those who are) if that's the only thing standing between you, your only prospect of a decent profession, and $1.4 million.

Beat your wife unconscious?  Great!

Father 50-11 kids and don't support them?  No problem!

Abuse PEDs/painkillers?  Sweet!

Still only hand out 2-game suspensions to guys who continually engage in helmet-to-helmet hits, even when you're trying to cover your legal ass against lawsuits?  Step right up!

Barely fail a drug test that's 10x stricter than the effing OLYMPICS?  And actually pass another test? No football for you!

Not to let Gordon off the hook, but the hypocrisy is overwhelming.

The NFLPA should have addressed this during the last lockout.  Stupid not to do so.

• Like 1

The NFLPA should have addressed this during the last lockout.  Stupid not to do so.

Seriously, the NFLPA let the NFL suspend players for stuff that happened when there was no contract in force at all.  You think they'd do something as smart as address idiotic and unfair suspensions?

Seriously, the NFLPA let the NFL suspend players for stuff that happened when there was no contract in force at all.  You think they'd do something as smart as address idiotic and unfair suspensions?

Point taken.  I'd like to think all those high-priced lawyers know more than me, but that doesn't seem to be the case.