Jump to content
DVDVR Message Board
Mr Harms

The Old School Questions thread

Recommended Posts

52 minutes ago, CreativeControl said:

I'd rather have a stable of Bellasario themed wrestlers.

You could have your Sam Beckett stall during a match to get advice from a hologram/thin air on how to win the match, a bit like a more ludicrous version of the York Foundation.

... in fact I vaguely remember an episode of Quantum Leap where Sam leaped into the body of a fake Russian wrestler in the 60s. Good times

Stringfellow Hawke & Leroy Jethro Gibbs would be a badass tag team.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, CreativeControl said:

 

... in fact I vaguely remember an episode of Quantum Leap where Sam leaped into the body of a fake Russian wrestler in the 60s. Good times

Guest starring a Mr Terry Funk, wasn't it?

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would be in favor of Catharine Bell as a valet, maybe even in uniform. 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How about that Superman (the first ever show in black and white with Richard Reeves) episode where Superman busts up a crooked rasslin show complete with insider references? That show was also infamous for another reason that I can’t remember but I know I read it. I want to say several famous wrestlers had cameos and that it’s all that’s left of them on tape.

Then that Love Boat one with Hogan 😮😮😮 I can’t believe him and Vince were down with that.

And David Schultz lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, BloodyChamp said:

Then that Love Boat one with Hogan 😮😮😮 I can’t believe him and Vince were down with that.

 

Hogan; Vince; the 1980s, we all know the reasoning behind that decision. 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey am I the only person who remembers Ricky Steamboat on that Gil Gerard/Ernie Reyes Jr show Sidekicks?

Of course then there was the Piper/Ventura show Tag Team

James

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, J.H. said:

Hey am I the only person who remembers Ricky Steamboat on that Gil Gerard/Ernie Reyes Jr show Sidekicks?

You may be the only one who remembers that Gil Gerard/Ernie Reyes Jr show Sidekicks.

  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, tbarrie said:

You may be the only one who remembers that Gil Gerard/Ernie Reyes Jr show Sidekicks.

Y'know, I'm okay with that because if I gotta remember a Gil Gerard show that isn't Buck Rogers I'm glad its Sidekicks and not Earth Force

James

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Does Vince own the whole SMW library? 

 

I just don't understand why they don’t put out more of it. Does Cornette have some kind of say?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1990. Were you Hogan or Warrior? Or were you like Jesse?

 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So did NWO Sting ever do anything in Wrestling besides be NWO Sting? Also, is the reason the NWO were in Sting's corner for that one WrestleMania match because Vince saw a picture of the NWO with NWO Sting in there, and didn't realise it wasn't the real Real Estate Steve?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Jeff Farmer made a pretty decent living in Japan with NWO Sting gimmick and later morphed in to Super J as a member of Team 2000

James

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think they were going for a WCW v WWF vibe with the nWo coming out to help Sting against Triple H and DX but... it's Sting and the nWo you buffoons.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, AxB said:

So did NWO Sting ever do anything in Wrestling besides be NWO Sting? Also, is the reason the NWO were in Sting's corner for that one WrestleMania match because Vince saw a picture of the NWO with NWO Sting in there, and didn't realise it wasn't the real Real Estate Steve?

I remember his brief program, wrestling as "Cobra,"  with Craig Pittman before being repackaged as NWO Sting.  The storyline behind their program, per Wikipedia, is something else:

Quote

Bobby "The Brain" Heenan and "Mean" Gene Okerlund explained Cobra's kayfabe back story of having served in the Gulf War. Sgt. Craig Pittman, a legit Marine sergeant, abandoned Cobra in the desert, then reported him AWOL back at camp. Cobra lost all rank and respect, learned to wrestle, and came to WCW seeking revenge on Pittman.

That's a lot of time and effort for a really shitty form of revenge.  How about just kill the guy when you get back to the states?

Edited by Technico Support
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Technico Support said:

That's a lot of time and effort for a really shitty form of revenge.  How about just kill the guy when you get back to the states?

If we start questioning whether beating somebody in a wrestling match is the best form of revenge, the whole genre sort of falls apart, doesn't it?

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Technico Support said:

I remember his brief program, wrestling as "Cobra,"  with Craig Pittman before being repackaged as NWO Sting.  The storyline behind their program, per Wikipedia, is something else:

That's a lot of time and effort for a really shitty form of revenge.  How about just kill the guy when you get back to the states?

Cobra and Pittman had a PPV match where Pittman rappelled from the ceiling, which was a  pretty unique entrance back then.

Edited by Infinit

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Didnt they also have Ranger Ross do that at a Clash (his debut I think)?

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I believe Jeff Farmer was 1/2 of the jobber tag team Thunder & Lightning prior to the Cobra gimmick. I couldn't tell you if he was Thunder or Lightning, nor do I want to put in that much effort to look it up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, odessasteps said:

Didnt they also have Ranger Ross do that at a Clash (his debut I think)?

Yes, at Clash 6 in the Superdome...but the dolts in charge didn't telegraph in rehearsal where he'd actually land on the telecast, and unfortunately the African American war hero got lost in a dark spot of the crowd.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Who remembers Paul Heyman name dropping Thunder and Lightning in that unintentionally hilarious shoot style interview he did in (gasp) 1995 I think?

The NWO Sting worked regularly from the time he debuted. NWO Japan was a huge thing over there and he was 1 of the big names. He had a good run in WCW for several weeks too, and was 1 of those guys who could be plugged in any time afterwards. I always thought Sting vs The NWO Sting would have been the closest thing to Sting vs The Undertaker had they done it right. Unfortunately that eliminates most ideas when applied to WCW.

Pittman vs Cobra was gold cartoon era stuff. Unfortunately it came along to late. Pittman coming out dressed as black Rambo that 1 night looked legit scary I’ll dang sure give him that.

EDIT: does anybody have a link to that time he came out dressed as Rambo? Or remember who Cobra was wrestling so that I could look it up? It might have been Cobra’s last match as I don’t remember anything happening again until Pittman started looking for managers. Cobra was wrestling and after the match Pittman appeared with a gun and a bullet bandolier, war paint, and just the whole get up. The announcers plugged that their feud obviously wasn’t over and they faded out from Pittman looking like a monster.

Edited by BloodyChamp
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Does anyone know which US territory first broadcast their TV in color? And conversely, which was the last territory to still be broadcasting in b&w?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/25/2019 at 5:13 PM, Infinit said:

Cobra and Pittman had a PPV match where Pittman rappelled from the ceiling, which was a  pretty unique entrance back then.

I remember Pittman cutting a promo on Cobra before that match and saying, "the beatings will continue until morale improves!" In hindsight, Pittman was pretty cool.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, cwoy2j said:

I remember Pittman cutting a promo on Cobra before that match and saying, "the beatings will continue until morale improves!" In hindsight, Pittman was pretty cool.

I use that quote once a week at work.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

First I've heard of this. Christ, imagine this line-up! What would they have done with Windham coming back though?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...