DVDVR Message Board

AEW TV - 2/7 - 2/13/2024 - First Come, First Swerved

30 minutes ago, Shartnado said:

Yes, unless you are Vince McMahon.

Or Michael Bay working with anyone but Nicholas Cage. Or Bruce Willis.

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, Leonidas said:

PSA: Hechicero's theme is Machete by Gvidon if you want to have it on loop like I have for the past week.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YaCTaYLsD5g

(Embedding doesn't work for me.)

It makes me want to play Doom Eternal again same vibe.

This fucking slaps (do kids still say that?) and I'm going to have to check out the artists other stuff.

15 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

Sad to hear he’s not using this anymore

I almost thought this was a remix of Eminence Front by The Who, kind of like DDP's WCW theme was basically a Smells Like Teen Spirit cover.

• Like 2

On 2/9/2024 at 1:15 PM, HumanChessgame said:

I almost thought this was a remix of Eminence Front by The Who, kind of like DDP's WCW theme was basically a Smells Like Teen Spirit cover.

Wait, this latter day (last good) Who song? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BfrUQA2tb6M

The Tangerine Dream-esque opening and surprisingly awesome rhythm, always take my focus. Perhaps for this reason I can't hear any kind of similarities. Eminence Front would be a great theme song for a big show like Wembley. 

The other Hechicero theme sounds like a '90s Industrial' preset. 

Edited by HarryArchieGus

2 minutes ago, HarryArchieGus said:

Wait, this latter day (last good) Who song? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BfrUQA2tb6M

The Tangerine Dream-esque opening and rhythm being my main focus perhaps leads my ears too far from any kind of similarities. This would be a great theme song for a big show like Wembley. 

It's mainly the guitar hook in Hchicero's theme that starts around 0:11 that made me think of the comparison to the main riff in the other song that kicks in around 0:40.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Death From Above said:

That Darby tope/side slam bump was so fucking great. I swear to god Darby is made of rubber. I think he's probably my favourite current wrestler.

Oh yeah, that was the best looking Black Hole Slam ever. It wasn't Darby's most dangerous looking bump, but it might have been his prettiest.

• Like 1

Rampage is less than 90 minutes away!

According to the Fyte app:

The Young Bucks return to action following their attack on Sting & Darby Allin - I bet I will enjoy this more than Drew does! I hope they wear their blood-soaked white suits to the ring! 

Matt Sydal vs CMLL's Mistico - This is simultaneously the MOST "I didn't realise I wanted this" and "a few years ago this would have been a dream match" AND "I will DEFINITELY enjoy this more than Matt" match of the week.

Kris Statlander & Willow Nightingale vs The Outcasts' Saraya & Ruby Soho - Saraya is right up there among my "There's too much WWE stink on this person, I wish AEW had never brought them in" list, and I feel much the same about the entire Outcasts deal. On the other hand, I LOVE watching Stat fight, Willow ALWAYS sparks joy, and I was excited when Ruby came in to AEW. Sometimes I think "too much WWE stink" sometimes I think "good for them getting away from WWE"

There was a time when I'd make a self-deprecating joke about my irrational hatred of WWE in order to avoid offending some of the more thin-skinned members of the E Universe on these boards but I suppose that hatred seems pretty darned rational now. 

Not that any of THAT is in ANY way Saraya's fault... but I'd just as soon not be reminded in ANY way of that cesspool of straight up evil while I am trying to enjoy my pro wrestling.

Orange Cassidy, Trent Beretta, & Rocky Romero face Undisputed Kingdom - I am SO stoked for Orange vs Ishii tomorrow. Except for the announce team overpronouncing the second "i" in Stone Pitbull's name. That drives me NUTS. 

I will definitely enjoy that match more than Casey.

Sadly, Roddy Strong yelling people's names has already worn completely thin on me. It's up there with "Scissor me Daddy Ass" in terms of "Oh well, I guess some people still enjoy it." It's another way AEW COULD distinguish itself from Cesspool Sports Entertainment: Quit running bits into the ground! 

That's a fair bit of complaining but in fact I am stoked. Think I'll walk over to the convenience store and get some popcorn. They have a season-limited sour plum flavour right now that I just love.

EDIT: I got what I was asking for!

Speaking of: They ANNOUNCED two women's matches for Collision this week! 

Maybe AEW is still ignoring their fanbase w/r/t the catastrophic way they are adding new content to the Pay Forever game, but they really seem to once again be listening when it comes to how they book the shows. And it's certainly the latter that's more important.

Edited by Gordi the former AEW fan
  • Like 3

5 minutes ago, Gordi the former AEW fan said:

Matt Sydal vs CMLL's Mistico - This is simultaneously the MOST "I didn't realise I wanted this" and "a few years ago this would have been a dream match" AND "I will DEFINITELY enjoy this more than Matt" match of the week.

More than MattD or more than Matt Sydal? Because I expect the latter will enjoy it quite a bit.

• Haha 3

6 hours ago, Go2Sleep said:

Oh yeah, that was the best looking Black Hole Slam ever. It wasn't Darby's most dangerous looking bump, but it might have been his prettiest.

A list of Darby's most dangerous bumps would probably make Spike Dudley go "what the fuck, brother"

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Fighting a man with a perm said:

Loving the Succession knock-off tune!

I know they're both knocked off from Succession but someone is going to think they ripped of Roman Reign's theme

I like Sydal. He's sort of the only Sydal that they need (Sorry, brother Mike). In as I don't think they need to hire guys like Ziggler because they already have him. He's crisp in execution, pretty good at building and layering matches, always overdelivers, and isn't as bland and mechanical as Daniels (who I like better now than fifteen years ago because he has a bit more old grit to him, but...). He's a great lower mid card babyface to make people look better. As for the Mistico match, it was ok but thought it needed a bit more to the finish. Probably best to just end it with La Mistica since no one knew that the Spanish Fly was a viable finisher for Mistico. (Schiovane didn't know La Mistica was either but that's fine). I haven't seen a Star, Jr. or Esfinge match in forever but I do have some concerns about them relative to who we've seen so far.

And I'll bury this in the weekly thread but a lot of the misgivings I had for the build to Bucks vs Sting/Darby were alleviated by having Sting and Darby do other things for the first few weeks and heavy usage of blood which always makes everything better. There are still weeks to go though. The Bucks "acting their age" is long overdue and helps the act but I'm still not quite to the point where I'd rather see them get beat up and get their simulated comeuppance relative to just skipping that match and watching something else instead (like I did with Swerve vs Hangman: I watched Adam Priest vs JD Drake and suggest you seek it out).

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, Matt D said:

Star, Jr. or Esfinge

Were those the guys who came out with him last night? I just took some random glimpses of this last night as I was trying to nap along with banging on the walls trying to get the rat or whatever the fuck is back there trying to claw through my drywall to go away and saw them, at least. Also saw the end of the end of the main with the Ruby walkout and boy, it's about time. Talk about a slow burn. 

Edited by Curt McGirt

1 hour ago, Matt D said:

I like Sydal. He's sort of the only Sydal that they need (Sorry, brother Mike). In as I don't think they need to hire guys like Ziggler because they already have him. He's crisp in execution, pretty good at building and layering matches, always overdelivers, and isn't as bland and mechanical as Daniels (who I like better now than fifteen years ago because he has a bit more old grit to him, but...). He's a great lower mid card babyface to make people look better.

I’ve got no particular desire to see Ziggler in AEW, but I think putting him on the same level as Sydal does him a disservice. His first post-WWE run is still fresh enough that it’s mildly interesting to see him in a different setting, and there’s some name value there to wring out of him; there could be some intriguing matches and a win over him could mean something for some younger guys.

I like Sydal, but he has zero credibility at this stage. A win over him is meaningless, there’s no intrigue. 

• Like 1

Rampage continues the rip roarin' fun run of recent weeks. Rocky/OC/Trent v Kingdom/Roddy was totally on point. I really liked the flow of this. Felt like an excellent showcase for everybody involved. I'd love a 2 on 2 with Trent/Rocky v Kingdom. Hangman-Swerve-Joe video was on point. Excellent Promotional Consideration! Bucks squash/promo was a terribly fun quarter hour. Bucks nearly topped the Work Horsemen's awesome squash on ROH this week. The promo, this look, the new theme, Cool Curt level of perfection! Sydal v Mistico was another nice showcase. Sydal is on a great enhancement run. Brian Cage/Nana promo was fun. Cage is very capable on the mic. I like guys at this level getting some mic time. And in general the increase of time devoted to promos. The bating average for these is good, and Renee continues to be an understated MVP. Stat/Willow v Ruby/Saraya totally clicked for me. I really like Saraya as a tag wrestler. She's a fun heel. Perfectly carny. She also looked really good in the ring. Maybe the best she's looked? Ruby works better as a babyface, so cool with that fallout. Who is Saraya's next protege? Kamille? Willow was awesome here. She and Stat are good team. Okay, bring on the Women's tag titles.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Greggulator said:

OC vs. Ishii was just a perfect secondary title TV main event match. Man, that was just beautiful professional wrestling. 

Got home way late so that was all I saw but it was pretty awesome. If only the spike piledriver was sold like death. 

12 minutes ago, RazorbladeKiss87 said:

Got home way late so that was all I saw but it was pretty awesome. If only the spike piledriver was sold like death. 

I'd go out of my way to catch the rest of Collision, especially Brody King/Mark Briscoe. 

• Like 3

I'm assuming they wait until the PPV for FTR/BCC which should be top notch. In the meantime I hope they give us Dax vs Moxley in the meantime.

Briscoe vs Brody was terrific and Mark tapped a gusher after the Kevin Sullivan spot at the end. I hope this isn't the last we see of Chicken vs HOB.

Toni Storm's promos continue to be the gift that keeps on giving. I agree with the sign in the crowd saying to give Aminata the graphic.

• Like 1