DVDVR Message Board

AEW TV - 2/7 - 2/13/2024 - First Come, First Swerved

Swerve/Hangman tonight for the #1 Contendership at Revolution tonight.  Here is what else is on tap:

GFn7X9VXcAATXs1?format=jpg&name=medium

Big announcement usually means yet another new tournament, title, or gimmick match.   Please have your bingo cards ready. 

• Like 3

Tonight is stacked! And I got the night off for once (only had to pull a 16 hour Saturday to get it but oh well) so I can watch it all live.

In my mind, Sting and Darby go over but I could see them getting screwed by the Bucks. I think it just works better for them to be undefeated going in to the ppv.

• Like 5

Big show tonight. You'd think Samoa Joe vs. Swerve Strickland as that's the biggest AEW match but can Hangman Page lose three straight to Swerve? Hope we don't get the stupid X interfere in #1 contenders match makes a triple threat/fatal 4 way. Like to think AEW knows better than that. I want Sting/Darby Allin to win the AEW World Tag Team Championship, that's the feel good moment. Sting a champion again and the oldest AEW champion ever. What scares me is the Young Bucks win them at Revolution 2024 and Sting goes out on a defeat.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, The Natural said:

Big show tonight. You'd think Samoa Joe vs. Swerve Strickland as that's the biggest AEW match but can Hangman Page lose three straight to Swerve? Hope we don't get the stupid X interfere in #1 contenders match makes a triple threat/fatal 4 way. Like to think AEW knows better than that.

Here's my dumb booking solution: With Mogul Embassy barred from ringside Keith Lee interferes to cost Swerve the match.  Swerve beats Lee at Revolution to finally put that whole feud to bed, Joe beats Hanger and we finally get Swerve/Joe at  whatever the next PPV is.

• Like 4

10 hours ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Big announcement usually means yet another new tournament, title, or gimmick match.   Please have your bingo cards ready. 

Watch it be a new belt. Ten man tags! FIVE new BELTS. All matches elimination rules, like New Japan in the '80s. 

I still think it could be Okada but that's pretty left-field I guess, if everyone is talking about Boston for some reason.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Not being funny or hanging on anyone, but where the hell is this Mercedes/Boston rumor coming from?? I must be way outta the loop - I've been thinking all week it's either gonna be a MAX deal or Okada based on the phrasing of "Huge" announcement, which I THINK is the largest possible on the Coach Tony scale ('We'll hear from' -> 'Major' -> 'Blockbuster' -> 'Huge').

Edit: Actually, if that ends up being it, maybe that should be the title of the show: AEW Left Field

Edited by Zakk_Sabbath

The huge announcement is that Tony’s gonna put his tape collection on the ESPN/Fox/WBD sports stream.

Would it be a little too screwy to have a simultaneous pinfall in the title match with something like Sting pinning Billiam and Ricky pinning Darby? Or will they just go to putting the titles on Sting/Darby?

• Like 2

The Boston show was spoiled by a ticket sale announcement.

I would like Sting and Darby to win, but not wild about that meaning they put over The Bucks at the PPV and Bucks are champs again. Maybe they can do like Muta/Mutoh and have Sting and Darby beat the Bucks, and then follow with an impromptu singles match where Sting puts over Darby.

Should be a night of good matches and, as Technico noted, very few foregone conclusions.

As for titles/tournaments, I’m betting next up is women’s tag titles with that being featured on Collision (given that they’ve started running two women’s matches there). They’ve already been selling a Julia Hart-Skye Blue shirt. Also gives Britt something to do.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Zimbra said:

Here's my dumb booking solution: With Mogul Embassy barred from ringside Keith Lee interferes to cost Swerve the match.  Swerve beats Lee at Revolution to finally put that whole feud to bed, Joe beats Hanger and we finally get Swerve/Joe at  whatever the next PPV is.

It’s a good idea if Big Keith’s health is in check. Hanger v Joe sounds like a helluva deal. And way better than a one fall triple threat.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Godfrey said:

My feel good moment would be Starks pinning Sting clean since it may be the last time the legend can put over an up and coming talent

Love Ricky and don't disagree, but IMO this depends entirely on whether he's WWE-bound or not. The last thing I would want to do if I were AEW is have him get that rub and then turn around and immediately take it to the competition's TV

Edit: Thinking further, I guess that the Bucks are actually a pretty good choice in that 'Verne putting the title on himself because everyone else is leaving for JCP/WWF' way, being that they're EVPs.

Edited by Zakk_Sabbath
  • Like 1

Just now, Zakk_Sabbath said:

Love Ricky and don't disagree, but IMO this depends entirely on whether he's WWE-bound or not. The last thing I would want to do if I were AEW is have him get that rub and then turn around and immediately take it to the competition's TV

Good point, rumor is he's there for a while still but we don't really know

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JLowe said:

The Boston show was spoiled by a ticket sale announcement.

I just saw this as well - Fenway would've made sense for a 'huge' announcement given that it would be a hypothetical stadium show, but I don't see this Fleet Center (fuck you TD) show being the announcement unless it's somehow made clear it's for Mercedes (e.g. 'The First Dance' and accompanying Darby 'Even if you're the best in the world' promo). Otherwise, it's just kinda... not that big a deal? I mean, they just ran Blood and Guts in that building not too long ago (which drew like 9K people, pretty damn good considering how many floor seats were eliminated by the two ring set up) it's not like they're debuting in the building/area.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

Edit: Thinking further, I guess that the Bucks are actually a pretty good choice in that 'Verne putting the title on himself because everyone else is leaving for JCP/WWF' way, being that they're EVPs.

I would think that he, as much as anyone, is watching this Cody situation closely. I’m also skeptical that the current power structure remains intact @ wwe.

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, JLowe said:

Between actual baseball and weather, could you run Fenway in April?

It would definietly be risky, like when WM was at Metlife Stadium. Imagine what that would have looked like with bad weather. If AEW were to ever run Yankee Stadium, I'd be there in a heartbeat. 

• Like 3