DVDVR Message Board

AEW TV - 11/8 - 11/14/2023 - Bait and Switchblade

Dolfan in NYC

I did NOT expect the show to start out with Max vs Garcia! 

Figured that meant a big MJF angle to close the show. Friedman opening and closing shows works pretty well.

Max did the dance better than Garcia, in my opinion. 

Body part psychology! These young guys have learned from fighting Bryan Danielson.

That old footage of Jay White!

OUTRUNNERS! Great squash.

Luther looks great in black and white. I LOVED Timeless calling Shida "Hick-ah-roo"

Nana added a spin to his dance!

91-55 record for Penta. According to the chyron.

Penta's gear looked great. Probably not his intention, but BC Lions colours. Go Lions!

Penta and Swerve tried to legit kill each other and I was entertained.

GOLDEN JETS vs YOUNG BUCKS!! I am excited about that, and also amused because I know people (on these very boards) who are the opposite of excited (either bummed out or angry) about it. It will be crazy.

Also the video game street fight. EXACT same notes for that one.

The Portland crowd absolutely RULED during the Limitless vs Joe Match. "MEAT!" " Holy Meat! " Meat Forever! " and "Slap That Meat!" chants. Nice work there, Portland crowd. Also, Gordlow agrees with you in all four cases.

Why. Joe. Serious-ah??? (That one's for you, Natur-Paul).

Serious Orange, too. Orange you glad he didn't say Cabana?

BOLLYWOOD BOYS!

Damn. They drove all the way to Portland for THAT. Hope it was a decent pay day, at least. 

The gurv of some people. Harv you ever seen such a thing?

HAT vs CAKE! Then the ex-alien/spooky witch/nice colour/tree bird standoff. All good. As was Switchblade vs Kung Foo Chicken. 

I am getting tired of thumb-typing on my cheap tablet. Are you getting tired of reading?

FTR vs VIKINGO & KOMANDER!!! I LOVE RAMPAGE!!! I LOVE AWESOME RANDOM MATCH-UPS!!!!

MOX & YUTA vs ORANGE & HOOK next week. Yowza.

Edited by Gordlow
  • Like 14

Mariah May should be a great addition to the roster. Her interacting with Toni could be fun.

Nice to see Red Velvet back. And I see that she is still not afraid to die for our sins. I am going to need them to figure out where this Stat/Willow/Skye/Julia thing is going though. It feels interesting but directionless 

• Like 4

There's 4 henchmen plus Devil mask. Devil mask wasn't part of the attack, his face just flashed on screen. The only night Devil mask was part of the physical attack was the first night while Cole was still there (on crutches) right? Think they are doing their best to make the story they had planned out work via Cole being able to believably still be Devil mask. They just do Devil mask inserts now because he's at home.

So Cole is Devil mask. Roddy & The Kingdom are 3 of the 4 henchmen. Is Jungleboy the other? Doesn't seem like he'd fit. I like a good who done it. But ya gotta stick the landing. The reveal can't be dudes with noticeably different builds or people no one cares about.

• Like 2

MJF and Garcia had a nice little match.

Toni Storm's silent movie bits have been more miss than hit for me, but her promo here with Shida was aces. I don't know who Mariah May is but her wiki makes it sound like she's pretty accomplished. So Julia's black mist isn't strong enough to corrupt Skye, even though she's still acting slightly heelish and wearing the makeup? I still think there's going to be some other twist to this program. NXT, TNA, and Smackdown all have equal if not less time in their main programs but get more women's matches featured while giving ample time for everything else. There's no excuse for only one women's match per show at this point.

Surprised the Bollywood Boys got squashed like that. I hope they got an ROH match or something out of it as well.

Joe/Lee was great but the ending stunk. Unless he succeeds in winning the world title Joe looks like an idiot for giving up the TV title and they easily could have had him lose via some sort of fuckery to further another storyline for him and give Lee some shine, but I guess they need to have yet another tournament for a new champ.

Swerve/Penta and Briscoe/White were as good as expected. Adam, Roddy, and The Kingdom are the masked guys, right?

• Like 1

Another good episode of Dynamite tonight. I missed MJF vs. Garcia because I didn't think they would put that on first. I watched it from Penta/Swerve on and that was a good match. I liked the post match brawl with Hangman. They're setting up a nice blood feud match for the ppv.

Joe vs. Lee was awesome. Didn't see Joe vacating the belt though. He's done all he can with the title so it should be nice to see someone else get a run as champion.

Jay White vs. Mark Briscoe was a good match. I knew Mark wasn't going to win, but it's still fun rooting for him to win. I liked the ending with MJF in the ring and then the beatdown of the Acclaimed. Who is the devil. I think it has to be Cole, but AEW is good at surprises sometimes so it could very well be someone no one is thinking of.

Edited by Phantom Lord

Gordlow's post ruled but I'll leave it to somebody else to do the obvious.  🙂

That was a really, really fun show that breezed on by.  MJF/Garcia might have been my favorite as it was a great mix of story and wrestling that hit the right notes.  Though Swerve/Penta was a close second and dare I say I think even Natural wouldn't hate it.  Yes, I know it's Penta (who I personally really like) but his taunting was heavily restrained and he was with Swerve every step of the way.  And Joe/Lee was such a manly meat match whether there were chants or not.  I kind of like that they don't go full hoss like this often as it would force these chants to happen.  Space them out once in a while and let the crowd take it from there.  Good stuff.  It's interesting that Joe relinquished the TV title as that puts him in an all or nothing scenario for the title hunt.  If he wins then great but if he loses then hopefully Joe has a nice recovery plan.  I think the only match that took a while to get my interest was the main because the outcome was obvious.  But they got me and all was well.

I would think the Devil gang reveal would happen at Full Gear but hell if I know who they all are.  It has to have that mix of shock and "Yeah, that makes sense"  If it's Kingdom that's a miss on the shock value but Cole would hit both marks yet he's injured for a while.  If there's going to be a reveal it would need to involve those available for Max to feud with.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, NoFistsJustFlips said:

The reveal can't be dudes with noticeably different builds 

Unless they go all out and reveal that it was actually Keith Lee, Samoa Joe, Satnam Singh, and Marko Stunt. I'd accept that.

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

MJF/Garcia was a solid opener. Shorter than I expected, but I liked the somewhat sudden, out of nowhere finish as I wasn't expecting the tap at that point but the transition in to the Salt of the Earth was cool.  Pentagon/Swerve ruled.

the Bucks being whiny at Omega is amusing. Bucks vs Golden Jets sounds potentially great for sure. Liked Kenny bringing up his past successes against the Bucks.  Love the SEGA tie in officially making the match a "Like a Dragon Gaiden Street Fight!"

Joe vs Keith was awesome, but I hate Joe just vacating the title abruptly just like that, lame ending to a record setting run. Made no sense to vacate the title to go after the AEW Title considering he just challenged MJF for the title while TV champ still. Made me wish they just had put Keith over in some way. Initially, I thought for sure that Shane Taylor would get involved to cost Keith. That said, I am loving the angle with MJF trying to avoid picking Joe as his partner at Full Gear while Joe keeps popping up on him and even Cole's telling him to do it.

Loved the return of Red Velvet, thought she looked great.  Popped for the surprise debut of "The Glamour" Mariah May, wasn't expecting her to just suddenly appear but definitely looking forward to her being part of the roster and as a Timeless superfan!

Great main event and closing angle. Good show, felt like everything delivered. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, NoFistsJustFlips said:

The reveal can't be dudes with noticeably different builds or people no one cares about.

even with all the direct camera shots of the goons at work, i'd think the estimates of how large you think the goons are would bounce all over the place and if it's two masked guys who appear to be 6 feet-ish and 200lbs-ish, that's probably half the AEW roster at the very least. Anyways eyewitness descriptions of suspects in crimes is a super sketchy way to identify anybody unless they have some obvious mark of distinction or whatever.

I'd figure the ringleader is the big thing that people would care about, the goons are just the goons of the ringleader in most scenarios

Don't like the idea of Samoa Joe vacating the ROH World Television Championship if he doesn't go on to win the AEW World Championship, I'd like him to and someone would have benefited beating him for the ROH World Television Championship.

• Like 2

@Matt D@NoFistsJustFlipsFor what its worth, our household is now leaning toward Jungle Jack as well - unless it's Britt, I think anyone else (even Cole himself) unless they are a return or a new signee would kind of lack the 'Wow' factor that this kind of reveal inherently requires - unless the aim is for a tonal similarity to something like the Vince/Higher Power reveal in the '90s, where the audience is supposed to be feeling the 'Aw sonovabitch' by design - I think Cole works in that instance.

This was a really, really good show. Great matches, great pacing, great early-days/Nitro style ending. I know I was on a bit of an island digging last week's installment, but this week kicked last week's ass all over the place IMO. As a general 'complaint' I would have liked if the Full Gear card was fleshed out a bit sooner, but it is what it is.

Looking ahead to the weekend shows, I think I'm most psyched for FTR/Vikingo & Komander - avoiding any spoilers but those guys are great bases so this ought to be dope

Edited by Zakk_Sabbath
Spoilers for a Live Rampage.. not awake yet..
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, The Natural said:

Don't like the idea of Samoa Joe vacating the ROH World Television Championship if he doesn't go on to win the AEW World Championship, I'd like him to and someone would have benefited beating him for the ROH World Television Championship.

Agreed on that one. It seems counterintuitive, especially when he had already held the TNT and TV titles as double champion last year, and MJF is currently double champion with the ROH tags and AEW WHC.

I get the idea of not wanting to beat Joe at this point, but it's not like it's crucial the ROH TV title be 'freed up' for someone else - whoever beat him later would've been insta-made, as you said; it's not rocket appliances.

All of that said: we've all been speculating who's going to be the one to eventually beat MJF pretty much since he won it, and I'm now of the opinion that Joe might be getting a 'thanks for saving Wembley' run with the belt. Cole seems to really be pushing the idea of MJF accepting Joe's help, so I could see something along those lines cooking there.

Edit: not sure if this a cool idea or bad idea, but the other day some of us were chatting about ways to make ROH/their belts distinctive from AEW - this might have been a cool opportunity to add some 'Cash in' type rule to the TV title, similar to what TNA did with the X Division title for a bit - or some kind of 'X # of successful defenses gets a WHC shot' like the old King of Cable thing

Edit 2: Maybe I'm alone in this, and I could be completely off base, but I'll posit the question to you guys: does it feel to anyone else like TK may have taken whatever was supposed to happen with Punk/MJF and simply 'split' the story between Jay White and Joe? The whole 'stealing the BBB' angle seems a lot to me like it could have been born out of the original plan for FG being a 'unification' match between MJF and Punk (remember, he had that dumb NWO belt).

Edited by Zakk_Sabbath
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

All of that said: we've all been speculating who's going to be the one to eventually beat MJF pretty much since he won it, and I'm now of the opinion that Joe might be getting a 'thanks for saving Wembley' run with the belt. Cole seems to really be pushing the idea of MJF accepting Joe's help, so I could see something along those lines cooking there.

So, combine Cole pushing Joe as the tag partner, knowing that it comes with a title match stipulation, with Cole as The Devil and his guys (Kingdom, Strong, Kyle O'Reilly) taking out The Acclaimed to make it so MJF has to accept Joe's help. Still doesn't make the title vacating make any sense, but it does tie together some angles.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1