DVDVR Message Board

AEW - NOVEMBER 2023

Dolfan in NYC

If we're guessing the field, I think there should be a "King of the Ring" mentality where this tourney should showcase your young studs, but champs should generally stay out. The winner of the tournament getting a guaranteed world title shot as another thing on MJF's plate would be fine.

My field would be Danielson, Yuta, Garcia, Fletcher, Swerve (winner), Kingston, Darby, Matthews, Hangman, and Takeshita. The luchador would be Vikingo if available. If not, then Fenix. If he's not healthy, then Penta. The Euro spot would go to ZSJ if available. Claudio if not, I guess.

• Like 2

Announcing Danielson for this tournament when he's supposed to compete in Wrestle Kingdom against Okada seems pretty overly optimistic. Seems even more foolish to announce him for All In at Wembley next year. Unless you freeze him in carbonite after Wrestle Kingdom. 

7 hours ago, Matt D said:

You know what? I think it all works out. I have a good feeling about this. Getting injured on a lock up has to be bottoming out.

One of the things Stevie has mentioned in his lock up videos is how he once got a broken nose from a lock up. 

Wait... so he broke the orbital on a lock-up at the beginning of the match? And worked through it like he did the arm and god knows what else, then took that finish and then finally was like "fuck finally that's over hey guys I am injured"? Or was it some other lock-up, because you don't do a lot of lock-ups after the start of match?

• Like 1

Maybe TK will have a NJPW representative in Yujiro Takahashi or Chase Owens to fill their proper role of pin eater. I hoped Lance Archer would be in this to do his monster who can go 2-3 but not lose much shine role he does in the G1 sometimes but he’s filling that in the Tag league instead 

I don't mean to offend any NJPW fans, and maybe this is a little AEW homer-ism talking, but I think the NJPW crossovers stay more special if you leave them for Forbidden Door time.

Totally personal opinion, but outside of an Okada rematch, the in-house matches that are possible for Danielson are infinitely more interesting to me than what NJPW has to offer currently.

It's a great "excuse" to get him in there with guys like PAC, Angelico, OC & BFs, maybe another Moriarty or Garcia bout, all three HOB guys - a couple more 'methodically' paced matches with not only Brody but guys like Dustin or Jarrett peppered in would probably be a nice changeup - maybe some David vs Goliath action with your Hobbs, Brian Cages, JD Drakes, Miros, etc. Fuck it, do a pre-taped non-tourney 'exhibition' in an empty building with Flair or Sting, and edit the shit out of it. Nick Wayne could certainly use some 'office hours' with him.

Basically, I want this tourney (edit: and the months beyond!) to become a vehicle for Dragon matches that have no real story reason to exist, but really need to happen before he's done full-time.

Edited by Zakk_Sabbath
  • Like 6

4 hours ago, Matt D said:

The simple fact of the matter is that the tournament is going to need guys to lose. Everyone can't be 3-2/2-3 or it gets all muddled. Of those guys, I hope one of them is Dustin.

I'd like to see Dustin get one last run on his One Last Ride. let him go to the finals

• Like 2

2 hours ago, zendragon said:

I'd like to see Dustin get one last run on his One Last Ride. let him go to the finals

He was my dark horse pick for Owen Hart Cup winner this last year for the same reason (plus he's one of a few still active who actually wrestled Owen).

It's a fucking bummer Dustin's probably going out around the same time as Sting and Danielson. Don't get me wrong, this roster is built for 'next man up' - AEW will be fine in that regard - but on a personal level, all three guys careers were timed just right to be near-perfect representations of my various peaks of fandom from the '90s to right now, and I'm really sad to see them go.

Edit: I keep going back to my post earlier, and I'm just coming up with name after name. How do you not do Danielson/Joe one last time? Does Nigel lace them up again? Will he and Shibata ever get to make us all clench our b holes trying to outdo each other? There's not a ton time for ALL of this, what do you leave on the table? AEW is still 'running a fucking business™' do you go for the sure-fire hits in some of the rematches, or the fresh, albeit maybe less wide-appealing dream matches from a money POV?

Edit 2 ADHD Boogaloo: That's kind of something I struggle with looking at AEW overall, really - as an example: I have basically less than zero desire to see Danielson vs Edge, but I can't really deny that'd probably be a hella good match to plaster on a Time Square billboard for World's End. I just don't know if the show can grow with what I/we want anymore...

Edited by Zakk_Sabbath
  • Like 3

Sssschiavone on the Control Center segments...

I would love it to air on television. That’s a question for Tony Khan. He’s really into giving them action, and there is times we talk to him about ‘should we take a little time to sell this, sell that,’ he said, ‘No, we need more action.’ Our promos are a minute, where back in the day they used to let the promos go. he is so into making sure it’s time for wrestling that it cuts away from all the other stuff. I agree.

I love that TK wants more action, but this may be his biggest oversight/mistake. If AEW were ever to add pre/post shows it would help this product exponentially. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, HarryArchieGus said:

I love that TK wants more action, but this may be his biggest oversight/mistake. If AEW were ever to add pre/post shows it would help this product exponentially. 

I still watch those Control Centers on YT, the nostalgia is real and it also was a way to get people hyped for the show and get some segments to continue stories within a small window. 

I very much feel that Tony Khan would be very successful at running an independent wrestling promotion.  However, his budget, choice of venues and tv deal make it hard to pull this idea of a mainstream indy fed off, because network wrestling needs to be compelling [and reel in more than internet fans/historians and marks], have something that hooks you and blend several different styles that are woven into storylines effectively. Trying to mainstream an indy style of wrestling is gutsy without bridging what casual wrestling fans consider wrestling into the mix, if that made any sense at all. I dont think its bad or good that he is trying to be PWG with a WCW budget, i believe its just not meshing, and hopefully he can find a way to make it go together.  A good start is MJF being woven into the beginning, middle and end of the show, but there is room for 3 or 4 more compelling stories to be told throughout the 3 prime time shows to balance with the action.

Edited by ChrisPBacon
  • Like 4

If we're fantasy booking the AEW mini-G1, i'd do:

A Block

• Bryan Danielson
  • Kenny Omega
  • Konosuke Takeshita
  • Buddy Matthews
  • Eddie Kingston
  • Daniel Garcia

B Block

• Claudio Castagnoli
  • Hangman Page
  • Powerhouse Hobbs
  • Juice Robinson
  • Swerve Strickland
  • Action Andretti

Run another Danielson Omega draw as the A Block finals, Hangman Swerve III as the B Block finals. Danielson vs Swerve at the PPV with Swerve going over.

• Like 6

2 hours ago, HarryArchieGus said:

They have a preshow before almost every Dynamite, Rampage and Collision, though.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ChrisPBacon said:

I still watch those Control Centers on YT, the nostalgia is real and it also was a way to get people hyped for the show and get some segments to continue stories within a small window. 

I very much feel that Tony Khan would be very successful at running an independent wrestling promotion.  However, his budget, choice of venues and tv deal make it hard to pull this idea of a mainstream indy fed off, because network wrestling needs to be compelling [and reel in more than internet fans/historians and marks], have something that hooks you and blend several different styles that are woven into storylines effectively. Trying to mainstream an indy style of wrestling is gutsy without bridging what casual wrestling fans consider wrestling into the mix, if that made any sense at all. I dont think its bad or good that he is trying to be PWG with a WCW budget, i believe its just not meshing, and hopefully he can find a way to make it go together.  A good start is MJF being woven into the beginning, middle and end of the show, but there is room for 3 or 4 more compelling stories to be told throughout the 3 prime time shows to balance with the action.

I think I prefer the Actual Stakes as the National Challenger Brand. I'd say Indy Wrestling would be better if it were compelling too. Compare AEW's pretty respectable audience numbers to say Impact, and you'll see there's more than 'internet fans/historians and marks' watching. Look at their PPV numbers. I'd offer those numbers again to say it's 'meshing' pretty well over the 4 year run. Ups and downs are absolutely expected. Especially with the amount of injuries, and loss of their biggest draw. They also took on the huge challenge of two additional hours this year. Growing pains. Again, expected.

They have plenty of stories. Finding ways to progress said stories in a logical, timely and entertaining manner has been the challenge. It's a never-ending challenge. I'd be happy with a few less stories and more focus on the characters. The idea of a half hour show prior to the show and a half hour after strictly for badly needed Video packages and promos would help all of the happenings exponentially. 

44 minutes ago, Casey said:

They have a preshow before almost every Dynamite, Rampage and Collision, though.

I forgot about their web preshow. I'm talking about a pre and post show on Television where ppl would actually see it. Where the matches could have an opportunity to be sold to the audience via Video Packages and Promos. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, HarryArchieGus said:

If AEW were ever to add pre/post shows it would help this product exponentially. 

No thank you. In that regard AEW is already turning to the WWE model of content quantity over content quality. There's already 5 first run hours for AEW and 2 for ROH. No more programing please. Tighten up the stuff ya already got. We're almost to the point of like well Monday, Tuesdays, & Wednesdays are for promos and Thursdays, Fridays, & Saturdays are for matches. And Sundays are for PPVs.

It's an MCU problem. Too much content dissuades people from keeping up with the stories. I know this is a wrestling forum full of wrestling fans, so my opinion might not be shared. But I miss the time where all AEW had was Dynamite. Yes their roster is huge and more people deserve shine. But what is the tipping point? 5 hours is already too many hours to support viewership. Collision and Rampage are doing 300k - 400k. Dynamite is getting 800k. Adding preshows isn't going to make any of those numbers go up.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, John from Cincinnati said:

CM Punk! CM Punk!

The responses to it are gold: Punk, Gillberg, Dolph Ziggler, Funaki, 2 (!) for Tyrus and 1 for Charlotte Flair.

By the awkord pronoun-ing, though, it's almost definitely a female wrestler, presumably Sasha Banks (I haven't bothered to learn her new name!)