DVDVR Message Board

AEW TV - 10/18 - 10/24/2023 - Nick Wayne's Mom Has Got It Goin' On

Dolfan in NYC

Y'all told me Kenny Omega wasn't wrestling children any more, then I go see this.

Kyle has trigonometry homework to do.  Leave him alone Kenny. 

Anyway, Sting's gonna retire or something.  He'll talk at you tonight.

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

Also, there's a Battle Royal tomorrow! (Tomorrow morning, my time) If I am not mistaken, this is the first time that AEW has ever had a Battle Royal.  I wonder if Wardlow will win. There are several wrestlers who would make interesting winners, MJF/storyline/matchup-wise. That will make this fun! Also Penta vs Switchblade. How many miedos do you think Penta will bring into this match? Personally, my prediction would be no meidos at all, but I am curious what everyone else thinks. And they have announced THREE not-actually-wrestling-type segments! Sting speaks, JR talks to Mrs. Wayne and her son, Nick, plus a new (presumably silent) Timeless Toni film. All Elite Sports Entertainment! Hey! You know who has two thumbs and loves Battles Royale?

Spoiler

My old drinking buddy Jimmy Two Thumbs, that's who.

Edited by Gordlow
  • Like 5
  • Haha 6

5 hours ago, Gordlow said:

I wonder if Wardlow will win. There are several wrestlers who would make interesting winners, MJF/storyline/matchup-wise. That will make this fun!

There are, but unless I've missed something, Juice is the only one they've built to win it at all. Have they even announced any other participants?

• Like 1

Fletcher and Nick Wayne teamed together doing Fortnite dances on their opponents after beatdowns and cutting promos you can only understand if you’re chronically on Tik Tok would be so sick. Gimme that intergenerational resentment heat! 

• Haha 4

Fucking Dolfan.  

I cannot unthink the image in my head of Kyle Fletcher's mom announcing that Kyle cannot wrestle Omega on the card tonight because he's grounded for not taking the garbage.

Edited by J.T.
  • Haha 4

A positive development!

They should have Emi win to set up a title match, actually. Shida can take a loss at this point, having just won it back, and it puts over the Eliminator gimmick as much as anything else.

Edited by Matt D
  • Like 12

12 hours ago, Gordlow said:

Also, there's a Battle Royal tomorrow! (Tomorrow morning, my time) If I am not mistaken, this is the first time that AEW has ever had a Battle Royal.  I wonder if Wardlow will win. There are several wrestlers who would make interesting winners, MJF/storyline/matchup-wise. That will make this fun! Also Penta vs Switchblade. How many miedos do you think Penta will bring into this match? Personally, my prediction would be no meidos at all, but I am curious what everyone else thinks. And they have announced THREE not-actually-wrestling-type segments! Sting speaks, JR talks to Mrs. Wayne and her son, Nick, plus a new (presumably silent) Timeless Toni film. All Elite Sports Entertainment! Hey! You know who has two thumbs and loves Battles Royale?

Hide contents

My old drinking buddy Jimmy Two Thumbs, that's who.

How do you feel about Adam Copeland’s “Rated R Rebuttal”?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Matt D said:

A positive development!

They should have Emi win to set up a title match, actually. Shida can take a loss at this point, having just won it back, and it puts over the Eliminator gimmick as much as anything else.

I like this thing where when after a woman wins a championship they have a match with Emi to make them look like a million bucks.  They should keep doing that.

• Like 9

6 hours ago, HarryArchieGus said:

Stoked for Fletcher-Omega and Penta-Switchblade, but another goddamn Battle Royal and (ugh) another Toni Storm 'blockbuster'? I'm gonna call in my trusted tag team partner FFWD and go tape delay this week. 

I hope you are good at ducking shoes.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, John from Cincinnati said:

How do you feel about Adam Copeland’s “Rated R Rebuttal”?

giphy.gif                                                                                                                                         

Tony K loves his new toys, and so Sexton is gonna be treated like the biggest deal on AESE TV for a while (and I truly hope the endgame isn't actually bringing in The Dudleys to do a 3-way ladder match redux).

The Attitude Era Nostalgic 'Member Berries Tickling is absolutely not for me. Ex-WWE Superdupermegastars being  immediately treated as a bigger deal than the the wrestlers already on the roster is my LEAST favourite thing about current AEW, and has been at least since Jarrett and Saraya were brought in. I would, legitimately, WAY rather watch Nicky Boy or Sonny Kiss or Abadon or JD Drake or Yuka Sakazaki or Billie Starkz or Big Shotty or Queen Emi than watch (or listen to) Sexton Hardcastle (or Jeff Hardy or Saraya or Taya or Billy Gunn (or even Christian or Jarrett, both of whom have been pretty consistently entertaining)). I would be totally fine with having Dustin and maybe Sting (and Arn) take on ALL of the "veteran wrestler" responsibilities.

My favourite thing about AEW USED TO  be watching younger or relatively unknown wrestlers make a name for themselves, but crowding the top of the card with nostalgia acts somewhat limits those opportunities these days. So listening to Edge talk reminds me of that. So, it hits me roughly like a Kenny match hits Matt D or a Cole match hits The 6'4" 265 Pound Krav Maga Master. But I hope not to go on about that multiple times every week because... What would be the point? I appreciate you asking, JfC, but anyone who knows me presumably could have guessed my answer. I doubt any of this is shocking, to anyone here. 😀 You knew what you were doing when you asked me that question. (Somebody should ask me for my opinion on Jim Cornette's podcast next)

And we ARE getting EMI this week! (Tony should buy the Sex Pistols' "EMI" for her. Just noticed that now, typing her name in all caps). And that match should rule. And as long as AEW keeps running Battles Royale and touraments and tossing me juicy bones like Bryan vs ZSJ and Kingston vs  MiSu, (I guess, when it comes to favourite matches, I definitely have "a type") I am gonna keep enjoying AEW anyway.

(edit: Bring back Shida's old entrance music!) (That's a thing I AM nostalgic for).

Edited by Gordlow
  • Like 6

you and I agree on things a pretty solid 99% of the time @Gordlowso I'm confident you won't be offended by me having to respectfully disagree on this one: this *is* kind of a bad week for the AEW= Sports Entertainment take with Emi/Shida and Fletcher/Omega also out on the buffet table ripe for the scoopin'. Obviously you're well within your rights not to dig the Copeland stuff, but there's also lots to get excited for -idk, maybe I'm just being overly positive for once

• Like 2