DVDVR Message Board

AEW TV - 10/18 - 10/24/2023 - Nick Wayne's Mom Has Got It Goin' On

Dolfan in NYC

• Bryan Danielson vs. Konosuke Takeshita. AEW Dynamite, 11th January.
  • Bryan Danielson vs. Bandido. AEW Dynamite, 18th January.
  • Bryan Danielson vs. Timothy Thatcher. AEW Dynamite, 1st February.
  • Bryan Danielson vs. Rush. AEW Dynamite, 8th February.
  • Bryan Danielson vs. MJF. AEW Revolution, 5th March. *****.
  • Anarchy in the Arena. AEW Double or Nothing, 28th May.
  • Bryan Danielson vs. Kazuchika Okada. AEW x NJPW Forbidden Door, 25th June.
  • Bryan Danielson vs. Ricky Starks. AEW All Out, 3rd September. *****.
  • Bryan Danielson vs. Ricky Starks. AEW Collison, 23rd September.
  • Bryan Danielson vs. Zack Sabre Jr. AEW WrestleDream, 1st October. *****. The MOTY.
  • Bryan Danielson vs. Christian Cage. AEW Collison, 14th October.
  • Bryan Danielson vs. Andrade El Idolo. AEW Collison, 21st October.

What a year for Bryan Danielson and this Wednesday he teams with Claudio Castagnoli vs. Kazuchika Okada and Orange Cassidy on AEW Dynamite next week. Get in!

• Like 1

On 10/21/2023 at 7:40 AM, The Natural said:

Looking at the AEW and NJPW roster, need these Bryan Danielson matches that are yet to happen in either:

• Bryan Danielson vs. Claudio Castagnoli.
  • Bryan Danielson vs. Darby Allin.
  • Bryan Danielson vs. Hiroshi Tanahashi.
  • Bryan Danielson vs. Tetsuya Naito.
  • Bryan Danielson vs. Cash Wheeler.
  • Bryan Danielson vs. Samoa Joe.
  • Bryan Danielson vs. Will Ospreay.
  • Bryan Danielson vs. Penta El Zero Miedo so Danielson can take Penta's hands when he does that fucking taunt and do some joint manipulation on them. Fucker will still do it anyway. Grrr.
  • Bryan Danielson vs. Jay White.
  • Bryan Danielson vs. Lance Archer.
  • Bryan Danielson vs. Orange Cassidy.
  • Bryan Danielson vs. Yano.

At the start of the year, Kazuchika Okada and Zack Sabre Jr were here but luckily I got to cross them off.

Making this list and I forgot about Bryan Danielson vs. Malakai Black. Bryan Danielson vs. Brody King and Bryan Danielson vs. Buddy Murphy as well. Bryan Danielson vs. Jeff Jarrett also.

Edited by The Natural

I like how Danielson is doing his random bucket list stuff while simultaneously being the stand-in for all of Tony’s leftover booking plans for Punk. It’s such a unique opportunity for him to have during his last full-time year.

• Like 4

Been way behind due to playoff baseball (both the Astros and the Phillies, which if that ends up being the series we’ll have to watch from home so my wife doesn’t get beer poured on her).

I cheated and watched the opening of Rampage first so I could see Mistico-Azucar and I was not disappointed even if it wasn’t as flashy as it might have been a decade or so ago. The JTTS 3-way I mostly tuned out on, plus I already had it spoiled. Enjoyed Claudio-Yuta, as always. Main was good, Skye is definitely a little more stiff and adding more to her repertoire, her and Ruby have had good matches in the past, and honestly it was time to finally put Skye over rather than more Outcasts retread.

Dynamite: Better than the usual Penta match anyway, but why not let White go over clean.

MJF addressing the various angles, and the Max Caster interruption, was good and to the point. MJF did a god job of explaining more of the history and why he’s being so weird about it when he was on commentary for the battle royal.

Loved Emi-Shida, was hoping they’d let Emi win so I would get to see the rematch in Philly, but alas, they have better ideas for Shida, right?

I was not looking forward to the Copeland segment but it actually drew me in and worked. I truly hope they have him work some stuff away from Christian for a while.

Wardlow squash was different, at least. But I think they’ve already killed any heat he had.

Renee-Kenny-MJF was short and to the point.

Please let this be the end of the Adam Cole comedy segments. It was aggressively not funny.

Callis has a ton of heat. Takeshita is getting lost in the shuffle. Hobbs has an interesting story to tell. Kyle Fletcher starting a face turn?

Omega-Fletcher was great. I still think Fletcher is a future main eventer.

Lance Archer isn’t for me, just have never cared.

Nana-Swerve at least acknowledged the rich history of Third Coast rap.

Sting retiring. Lol’d at Hogan getting booed.

Jim Ross-Wayne family sit down was cringe.

Battle Royale kinda sucked, but we did get Dustin doing a shattered dreams for money, and more JAS tension.

I’m excited for MJF-Juice, it should be a Philly bloodbath. And I guess I get to see Omaha live too.

• Like 6

No!!! Where is my beloved Promo Montage to open Collision!?! C’mon Saturday Crew, don’t cut corners. Andrade v Danielson was as fanfuckintastic as expected. I can get down with a Malakai Black v Danielson bout. Nice Darby Promo. Solid Dark Skye v Haley J bout. Outrunners v Gunns was fine. Statlander promo was amusing. Lexi is consistently a good sport. I probably should have expected a 'WWE Hardcore' style bout for Kingston v Jarrett. Perhaps my lofty expectations are to blame for not being into this. Or it kinda fucking sucked. I wonder if anybody in Creative considered having Eddie beaten by 5 ppl with no assistance might make him look like he has no friends. Fucking lame, but again I should’ve expected as much. Setting up 'hilarious' weapons around the ring for a match is one of the absolute shittiest wrestling tropes. Still, great to see Dave Brown! Acclaimed promo was fine. Miro v Andretti was solid for what it was. Love to see more of the ROH crew in competitive squashes rather than the local enhancement ‘In Action’ bullshit. JAS/Ruby promo was solid. Strange interaction between Ruby and Ange. I dug this like one after the other local promos from the bygone era. Rush promo was okay, but let’s get him back in the ring already. Eddie Kingston promo was awesome. Could’ve done without the ‘smirking, am I on camera’ staff person. FTR squash without a finish? Why not book an actual team not to lose or have FTR get the victory first? Weak. I’m down for this HOB v FTR feud. That said --- these lights out spots consistently need better timing, less of the lights out portion and less awkward aftermath posing. Starks/Bill v Wheeler/Claudio was fine. With all the terrific teams in this company Bill/Starks as Champions need to do more than they served here. One of the weaker Collision Main Events in awhile. Fun Moxley return tho. The anarchy to close the show was going pretty well until Starks returned to the ring to make himself look like a fucking idiot! What happened there? Orange v Silver was solid. Having Silver/Sabian/Isaiah battle for the number 1 contenders position makes the International title feel uh less than special. Loved Orange shouldering Mox during his entrance. I really wish AEW would stop killing Weapons shots with meaningless shit like Reynolds knocking Orange silly for a Silver 2. Nobody was ever buying John Silver winning this match. Andrade promo was his regular doofus hilarity. I love love love losers of big matches or angles getting mic time later. It’s a small but effective thing. Joe v Nese and the post promo were fine. Statlander v Willow was pretty solid. I hate seeing Willow lose here. She should be protected like Hulkamania 84-86 right now. Why on earth would you not go with the hot hand!?! Athena too! This division is not deep enough to book them away from their deserved spotlights. Further, Willow has a perfect babyface connection with the crowd. There isn't a better pure babyface in wrestling. And yet they wanna book her as a heel or tweener? Is there any possibility that Vince McMahon is booking the AEW Women’s Division? Excellent Orange promo. Fuck yes - Okada/Orange v Claudio/Danielson! Acclaimed v JAS was fine I guess. However many days in they now are, I have no interest in watching Dad Ass wrestle ever again. Are the Penta haters seeing the degree of Scissor Spam this bunch are giving us each time out? I remember some time ago when the Trios titles matches were thrilling and something to get excited about. Been awhile. Digging the MJF/Max storyline, but enough of this Sports Entertainment Sideshow act as Trios Champions. Also, no more sleeping on the Daniel Garcia push. Some weak shit here and there, but still lots of fun to be had.

Edited by HarryArchieGus
  • Like 2

On 10/19/2023 at 6:24 PM, SturmCRF said:

I wasn't able to concentrate on everyone's wrestling takes with this shit festering in my mind. So sorry, you're going to have to show your workings here, because if your main takeaway from the last couple of weeks is 'Israel eviscerates children', you might be advised to seek out news somewhere other than Al Jazeera or The Canary.

If you just didn't like the Juice/MJF angle then sure, not many people did, wrestling probably isn't the right medium for that kind of thing, but seeing as reports of antisemitism have gone up sixfold in the UK and probably similar or worse elsewhere, one might argue it's actually the perfect time for Max or anyone else to fight antisemitism. It's gotten pretty bad out there, there are Nazis, Islamists, arch wrestling board contrarians, more anti semites than you could ever need or want.

And if you didn't mean for your brief 'Let me tell you why I skipped Dynamite' snark to be taken that way, maybe don't suggest that it's inappropriate to discourage people from hating Jews when the Jewish state that they created after some people tried to kill all the Jews is killing people in its desperate attempts to stop the terrorist group whose founding document is heavily themed around Jew killing. 

Apologies mods, I know this is why we don't have a politics folder, but this garbage has been sitting in the thread for a day now.

Anyway, I liked the V Trigger in that finishing sequence. Max Caster getting distracted like an idiot when he had the match won was stupid.

"apologies mods, I know this is why we don't have a politics folder, I'm just an ignorant Zionist racist piece of shit". 

You casually list off All Jazeera and "Islamists" as somehow being inherently anti-Israel (heaven forbid) and by extension, I take it, antisemitic. This already tells me what I need to know about where you're coming from. 

After spending the last week working with Independent Jewish Voices and Jewish Voice for Peace, in conjunction with Muslim, Palestinian, pan-Arab, and various secular groups in organizing demonstrations and events to support Palestinian solidarity, I don't have much patience for bigots conflating Judaism with Zionism. So excuse me for being busy this week and not responding to your pathetic hateful comment promptly (I'm sure this will get deleted anyway). 

The rise in antisemitic incidents in the UK you reference is, I presume, the stat from the Metro police that has been making the rounds on social media. Let's take a deep breath for a moment and remind ourselves that this is the same police force tearing down Palestinian flags during non-violent demonstrations. Let's also keep in mind they released that number without any audit or breakdown of specifics (ie, a crowd chanting "from the river to the sea, Palestine will be free" can be construed as antisemitic,). 

Here's the thing though asshole: Islamaphobia and anti-Arab racism is once again the norm in America, Canada, and the UK, and it's because of two things: 1) the media bias towards Israel in the wake of October 7, completely ignoring Israel's 75+ years of criminal occupation and ethic cleansing of Palestine's indigineous Arab population; 2) the conflation of Zionism with Judaism which immediately makes the Hamas attack on Oct 7 an attack on Jews as Jews as opposed to what it actually was, an attack on the civilian population of an oppressive state. Further, the Stand Up To Jewish Hate ("blue square") group Max is being utilized by have expressly Zionist and pro-Israel mission statements -- this not a group advocating for Jews writ large, and are totally complicit in shameful smearings of anti-Zionist Jewish groups as being"self hating Jews" (itself an old antisemitic trope).

To see AEW incorporating this kind of western propagandist weaponization of antisemitism, while Gaza is bombed into non-existence, while Gaza has been the victim of Israeli genocidal policies for decades, is repulsive. To see you invoking the holocaust to further victimize Jews when 75+ years of Zionist brutality are what led us to the catastrophe we're experiencing now, is repulsive. Maybe you should be checking where you get your news from, because I can promise you the people ultimately making the decisions at CNN, MSNBC, Fox, wherever you get fed this crap have much more in common with actual antisemites than the scary brown people you dehumanized in your shameful post.

Edit: also your invocation of ThE hAmAs ChArTeR is hilarious -- maybe read some actual history about that "founding document" and how badly it's been misrepresented to further conflate antizionism with antisemitism. May I suggest starting with the works of Sara Roy, a--gasp!!--Jewish woman, who is also the world's leading scholar on Gazan politics and civil society, including the history of Hamas. 

Edited by Belgian_Waffle
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Belgian_Waffle said:

"apologies mods, I know this is why we don't have a politics folder, I'm just an ignorant Zionist racist piece of shit". 

You casually list off All Jazeera and "Islamists" as somehow being inherently anti-Israel (heaven forbid) and by extension, I take it, antisemitic. This already tells me what I need to know about where you're coming from. 

After spending the last week working with Independent Jewish Voices and Jewish Voice for Peace, in conjunction with Muslim, Palestinian, pan-Arab, and various secular groups in organizing demonstrations and events to support Palestinian solidarity, I don't have much patience for bigots conflating Judaism with Zionism. So excuse me for being busy this week and not responding to your pathetic hateful comment promptly (I'm sure this will get deleted anyway). 

The rise in antisemitic incidents in the UK you reference is, I presume, the stat from the Metro police that has been making the rounds on social media. Let's take a deep breath for a moment and remind ourselves that this is the same police force tearing down Palestinian flags during non-violent demonstrations. Let's also keep in mind they released that number without any audit or breakdown of specifics (ie, a crowd chanting "from the river to the sea, Palestine will be free" can be construed as antisemitic,). 

Here's the thing though asshole: Islamaphobia and anti-Arab racism is once again the norm in America, Canada, and the UK, and it's because of two things: 1) the media bias towards Israel in the wake of October 7, completely ignoring Israel's 75+ years of criminal occupation and ethic cleansing of Palestine's indigineous Arab population; 2) the conflation of Zionism with Judaism which immediately makes the Hamas attack on Oct 7 an attack on Jews as Jews as opposed to what it actually was, an attack on the civilian population of an oppressive state. Further, the Stand Up To Jewish Hate ("blue square") group Max is being utilized by have expressly Zionist and pro-Israel mission statements -- this not a group advocating for Jews writ large, and are totally complicit in shameful smearings of anti-Zionist Jewish groups as being"self hating Jews" (itself an old antisemitic trope).

To see AEW incorporating this kind of western propagandist weaponization of antisemitism, while Gaza is bombed into non-existence, while Gaza has been the victim of Israeli genocidal policies for decades, is repulsive. To see you invoking the holocaust to further victimize Jews when 75+ years of Zionist brutality are what led us to the catastrophe we're experiencing now, is repulsive. Maybe you should be checking where you get your news from, because I can promise you the people ultimately making the decisions at CNN, MSNBC, Fox, wherever you get fed this crap have much more in common with actual antisemites than the scary brown people you dehumanized in your shameful post.

Edit: also your invocation of ThE hAmAs ChArTeR is hilarious -- maybe read some actual history about that "founding document" and how badly it's been misrepresented to further conflate antizionism with antisemitism. May I suggest starting with the works of Sara Roy, a--gasp!!--Jewish woman, who is also the world's leading scholar on Gazan politics and civil society, including the history of Hamas. 

We are ABSOLUTELY not doing this.    

Consider this to be the one and only warning.     For everyone.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4