DVDVR Message Board

AEW TV - 10/18 - 10/24/2023 - Nick Wayne's Mom Has Got It Goin' On

Dolfan in NYC

Fun show with FFWD option. Jay White v Penta was a strong opener. Jay White is a fanfuckingtastic pro wrestler! So nuanced in his incredible skillset. The Ass/Juice running interference is beyond stale and stoopid. BCG Promo was fine. MJF promo was clever with his not being a ‘dumb good guy running down...’ Also, very into this Acclaimed/MJF story. Emi Sakura v Shida was real solid. Emi is so excellent. Let her run the ROH show with the belt, and graduate Athena to the AEW World Title already! Edge promo was a bit redundant, but at least he isn’t eating up 20 minutes plus in repetition and catchphrases like his New York territory work. FFWD passed the useless Wardlow squash. Liked him shouldering Schiavone. Solid Kenny promo, love the MJF interruption. Kenny v Max, fuck yeah! FFWD passed the *fart sound* Roddy/Adam sketch. Don Callis/Powerhouse WILL Hobbs promo was on point. Best mic work we’ve seen from WILL. Loved the flow into Fletcher coming down and onto the match. To no surprise Fletcher v Omega was fucking outstanding. Orihara moonsault was incredible! Also incredible, Don Callis on commentary! FFWD most of the Archer squash. Nice high knee. Excellent Swerve/Nana promo. More into the camera promos, less Impact Wrestling comedy skits. Nice Sting promo. Geez, what a problematic list of dickheads Sting has surrounded himself with. FFWD and look the other way while Toni Storm’s comedy skit stinks up the show. Embarrassing. Nick Wayne sitdown was wrestlecrap fun. I blame the producer, not Mom for the overacting. Christy-Ian Cage continues this legendary run. Orange Cassidy/Stat promo was fine. I like Stat v Willow, but really really hoping for the title change. OC v either one of Silver/Isaiah/Kip whom haven’t won anything to deserve to be in any title picture feels on point with a typical BOTB booking. FFWD er Skimmed the Battle Royal. Oh wow, Juice won, ya don’t say! I hope AEW sees ratings death for this awful 'Main Event' booking. That said, Daniel Garcia seems to find a way to shine wherever and whenever he’s on camera. Excellent show when skipping passed the squashes, comedy skits and 83rd Battle Royal of the year.

• Like 4

Wardlow's had such bad booking since his big win over MJF and he hasn't been protected all that well, audiences have short memories but they can recognize a pattern. I don't think Wardlow is a lost cause by a long shot but I can't say I blame anyone for ffwd-ing at this point

• Like 2

Crowd almost turned on Wardlow -- getting physical with Schiavone is a no-no for sure. I don't know what their plan is for him. Callis would be a fit for manager with his league of penises but they might be aiming at a tweener role. It kinda wouldn't be fair because the only other giants not behind Don are him, Archer, Miro, and Bill unless I'm forgetting somebody. That group seems like it could even run roughshod over the BCC. 

Speaking of Archer, he probably shouldn't have given his opponent anything at all. He's too nice a guy. Especially considering that was a return, he should have been a bigger steamroller than Wardlow. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

People that cut off crusts can fuck right off 😛 It would have been funny if Roddy was talking about the musical subgenre instead and tossed an Amebix or Axegrinder record at Adam like a frisbee. "I told you that I won't have that metal crap in my household! Now put on Cock Sparrer!"

Far as the monsters go, I forgot about Brody King. And, I guess, the ass-eating tag team in latex, whatever their name is now. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

22 hours ago, Belgian_Waffle said:

Was already boycotting this week because of the max fighting antisemitism while Israel eviscerates children bullshit. Turns out I get to miss a Fletcher match AND a Penta match. Bonus!!

I wasn't able to concentrate on everyone's wrestling takes with this shit festering in my mind. So sorry, you're going to have to show your workings here, because if your main takeaway from the last couple of weeks is 'Israel eviscerates children', you might be advised to seek out news somewhere other than Al Jazeera or The Canary.

If you just didn't like the Juice/MJF angle then sure, not many people did, wrestling probably isn't the right medium for that kind of thing, but seeing as reports of antisemitism have gone up sixfold in the UK and probably similar or worse elsewhere, one might argue it's actually the perfect time for Max or anyone else to fight antisemitism. It's gotten pretty bad out there, there are Nazis, Islamists, arch wrestling board contrarians, more anti semites than you could ever need or want.

And if you didn't mean for your brief 'Let me tell you why I skipped Dynamite' snark to be taken that way, maybe don't suggest that it's inappropriate to discourage people from hating Jews when the Jewish state that they created after some people tried to kill all the Jews is killing people in its desperate attempts to stop the terrorist group whose founding document is heavily themed around Jew killing. 

Apologies mods, I know this is why we don't have a politics folder, but this garbage has been sitting in the thread for a day now.

Anyway, I liked the V Trigger in that finishing sequence. Max Caster getting distracted like an idiot when he had the match won was stupid.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 3

I keep forgetting guys! Joe is a total monster, and of course there's Keith Lee (though you could forgive me for forgetting him unfortunately). So that's a lineup of 

Spoiler

Joe

Keith 

Wardlow

Archer

Hobbs

Bill

the three tag guys

Miro

Brody

Brian Cage (duh) 

Takeshita

Luchasaurus

Blade and Butcher count? Maybe Hangman too? Nyla and Willow? John Silver because he's John Silver? Uno is fat enough? Billy Gunn? Claudio is really tall and god knows he's the strongest guy on the roster? That is quite the lineup of superheavyweight/power wrestler types, especially for a fed founded by the Young Bucks. 

EDIT: Dammit, Bear Country/Iron Savages are the tag team. Nick Comoroto too! 

Edited by Curt McGirt
  • Like 2

Dynamite thoughts:

Jay vs Penta got good by the end. Cardblade having stolen a belt of his own from an MJF cut-out was very appropriate.

Wardlow getting a match stoppage win after ONE powerbomb told more about Nemeth than it did him, but at least we know what (or who) he is after. Considering how things went the last time, he has more than one reason to go after MJF again.

Hobbs giving a good reason why destroying Jericho was important was very nice. That's how you hold a grudge, motherfucker!

Fletcher showed fire during his promo, the match was very hard hitting, but the end result didn't go too well for him this time, either!

Statlander vs Willow should be awesome, but if Willow turns here (win or lose) then she'll be the big loser Athena made Billie Starkz call her last week on ROH (through TK's door, pretending to BE Willow).

The end stretch of Shida vs Emi got really good. It is becoming obvious that Shida has now surpassed her trainer.

Strong is now making Adam make his sandwhiches for him? Hey dipshit, you could have reminded him about the crust before biting into the sandwhich! It was in your hand! You're crippled, not blind! And you're not even really hurt! Matt Taven had NO problem with the crust, however! Or the fact that Strong spat out the sandwhich! He has been pretty awesome in these! And now, when Adam finally had enough and probably went to have the surgery he's been putting off for almost a month now, Strong "finally" understands he needs to try and make nice with MJF! Ya think, Roddy? But him saying that AFTER Adam had wheeled himself out, makes it seem like The Kingdom weren't in on this, but were actually being sincere this whole time! Otherwise, he would have said something like "Well, crap! That didn't work! Looks like it's going to be plan B, then guys! I have to be nice to that douchebag!"

Adam Copeland will not fight Christian Cage. So what the fuck are we even doing here?

Sting will retire at Revolution 2024. Will he put someone over before that, though? He is not likely going to lose THIS retirement match, I'd guess?

Nick Wayne's Mom does not approve what her son is doing, nor who he is hanging around with! Christian Cage kind of admitting that he only corrupted Nick because Nick Wayne's Mom didn't answer his calls or didn't call him was one of his scummiest moments yet.

Who would have thought that Max Caster's mouth would get him into awkward social situations? MJF paying Dustin to kick Juice's balls was excellent. Garcia had a great showing here, but the dipshit we thought was going to win, won.

It's pretty obvious to me that RJ City has his hands in the Timeless Toni Storm movies etc, since this old-timey stuff is right in his wheelhouse. Well, he was co-starring in the movie, but I bet they are, um, brain-Storming about this stuff constantly.

There have been plenty of better shows, but the entertainment value was still very high on this one!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, zendragon said:

you know what we are DUE for an AEW reality show! Lovers Lament! At home with Juice and Toni

Julia Hart misting Lee Johnson as a form of foreplay. The possibilities are endless!

• Haha 2