DVDVR Message Board

AEW TV - 10/4 - 10/10/2023 - On This Day, I. P. Freely

Dolfan in NYC

19 minutes ago, AxB said:

It's Wednesday, you know what that means. Tony has a big announcement!

Different Toni this time though.

They had some good matches on the house show circuit so this should be a good one.

11 hours ago, Technico Support said:

Vince is a sad, sad man.

1. Stack your C show
  2. Beat your distant competitor on an off night
  3. Celebrate on the private jet listening to Best of AC/DC while eating steak wraps

So they should just let the C show they are trying to find a new tv deal for get destroyed by an off night AEW? That doesn't really makes sense. If anything it kind of says how much they fear/respect AEW as a competitor that they feel the need to stack the show. NXT will likely not beat AEW. Even if it does it won't be by much. This stuff is very much happening because they are trying not lose to what fans the show has recovered the past few months. Its why they have had Judgement Day and Seth on the show. Its why Becky is there now. Cody weirdly enough is the only one that probably isn't planned stacking. He is presumably there more to announce the Dusty Cup.

Edited by Eivion

My reactions of the night:

Hell yeah, Wardlow rules

The Acclaimed had a match

They showed the Cole/Strong skit twice, right?

Danielson/Strickland is an interesting match, very much looking forward to seeing how they mesh

6 and a half weeks more build for White/MJF should be a fun ride

I simultaneously want Powerhouse Hobbs to move up the card and nowhere near the Sons of Winnipeg

Timeless Toni continues to be great and she's getting wins. Every wrestler needs to be smart enough to film a month's worth of vignettes in a day and then take weeks off while staying over on TV

Copeland looked like he was having a great time. AEW is so Canadian now

• Like 6

The tag match was way too long for being so mediocre, but it was good to see Hobbs at the end. I'll get excited if he actually goes over Jericho and/or Omega.

Wardlow is apparently still employed.

Toni is great both in ring and in promos. Was her yelling she was going to slap Skye's tits off on the air or was that in PiP?

Was Christian telling Edge to go fuck himself not beeped off or was it technically OK since it was after 11?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, HumanChessgame said:

The tag match was way too long for being so mediocre, but it was good to see Hobbs at the end. I'll get excited if he actually goes over Jericho and/or Omega.

Wardlow is apparently still employed.

Toni is great both in ring and in promos. Was her yelling she was going to slap Skye's tits off on the air or was that in PiP?

Was Christian telling Edge to go fuck himself not beeped off or was it technically OK since it was after 11?

It was definitely censored on my TBS feed.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Godfrey said:

They showed the Cole/Strong skit twice, right?

The first time they had an audio issue. It sounded like the ringside mics were still on and picking up the video feed of the segment in the arena. 

Mixed bag of a show. For the second week in a row (at least) the women's match was far and away the best wrestling segment. Timeless Toni is on fire. Julia Hart is on fire and taking some time off so when she's back she's even more over because people don't realize they miss her. Athena and Statlander and Willow are all world-class talent. That's a Big Five right there, plus Hayter when she's back. But we limit the women's matches to one per show so Kip Sabian can get on tv. 

Lots of people I absolutely can't stand are getting a lot of tv time but I feel like that's just the perpetual crisis of any wrestling fan. Kyle Fletcher should scream more when he does moves and see if it makes his selling any less horrible. Juice, Gunn and Gunn should cut another promo without White and see if they can come across even more pathetic and make the crowd go even more uncomfortably quiet. I ran screaming from New Japan somewhere around 2018...were Switchblade-era Bullet Club segments this cringey in Japan or is this a new thing?

On a more positive note, the MJF/Acclaimed interaction, even if it was just a one-off for now, gives me hope that he'll eventually work a program with them, with the Acclaimed serving either as opponents for BTYBB or (more intriguingly) as MJFs eventual backup to take on Bullet Club and the Undisputed Kingdom. 

• Like 1

Aside from Christian and Copeland which was simple and quite effective,  I did also like Toni Storm vs. Skye Blue.  Timeless Toni Storm needs to beat Saraya and take the title.  Skye Blue is getting over, I'd like to see her win some matches soon.  

I'm liking all of the Jay White and MJF interactions also.   That should be a hell of a main event for 'Full Gear'.   

I wasn't sure if Tony Khan would load up next week's Dynamite or not,  I'm sure everyone has heard by now that WWE is send Cena and Cody to NXT next Tuesday but Khan did book some great looking matches.  Tuesday will be fun.  

• Like 1

Hour One made me want to contemplate dying (if not die), Toni Storm brought me back to reality, Christian and Edge blew it out of the water.

Last big stage play I ever did was Edward Albee's The Zoo Story and I totally goofed it up. Made it into a one man show instead of a mutual exchange that happened to consist of one-guy-talking and one-guy-listening. And it isn't just about how good Edge talked, or (more importantly?) how good Chrisitan listened, it's about how well they managed to communicate the drama between both themselves and the audience while this speaker vs. listener exhange was going on. Really really really high-end promo stuff here.

Edited by John E. Dynamite
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1